Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunray probe question

david bull

When you're pinpointing with a sunray probe do you switch to the pinpoint mode on your detector or do you just leave it in disc to eliminate unwanted targets?Just curious.Thanks DBULL

Good question. When you switch from coil to probe everything remains the same as far as discrimination and other settings the machine is set on when you decided to dig the target. You can however switch to pin-point which sometimes helps locate the target in the hole. HH :minelab:

It just seems like it would save a lot of time to pinpoint in disc and ignore any iron in the same vicinity. I'm just wondering what sunray users do.DBULL

On my Explorer the pinpoint function switches it to "All Metal" ... so I guess I would rather hear (and remove) that rusty nail that may be masking a coin. :minelab:

I always switched to pinpoint and located the center for target........ If 4" deep or deeper target I then used the SunRay to locate target after opening up the ground...... if surface to 3" just switch to probe and locate the target then dig..

Dave - I believe your question was when you switch to the Sunray probe do you keep the machine in the search program or switch to pinpoint mode?
I keep it the same as my search mode because I want to hear what the target is - it avoids you probing for a piece of junk iron mixed in the hole or plug pile...

Why not use both and get your moneys worth? If you only want an all metal pinpointer, you might as well get the Garrett. SunRay's strong point is that you can pinpoint in Discrimination mode and often get a better target ID and you would know in an instant if your target is iron wrap or not. Once I get a "in the hole" target ID I then squeeze the trigger to pinpoint to exactly where the target is and how much further to dig. You do not have to look at the screen for the depth, just listen to the strength of the audio, you will catch on quickly. Here is a good video on how many of us use the SunRay especially the last target is an iron target wrap signal. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1607120

Somehow I had the impresson that the sunray probe was directional(as in the probe would only receive signals from the bottom of the probe),probably from word "ray" in the name,but after watching the video I can see that it's like a regular coil and receives signals from all angles.I currently have a propointer and a cacheprobe CP-200(which will disc ferrus metals) and my modded XL PRO does an excellent job of pinpointing and target id'ing.I probably would'nt gain much by adding the sunray if it works like a regular pinpointer.Thanks for the replies and excellent information! DBULL

The Sunray Probe S-1 is my favorite probe.I very seldom use all metal or pinpoint on my Sovereign.I like to see any close by junk and helps ID a target in a blended area. Very fast and efficient,even used the probe on a seeded speed hunt with very good results HH Ron

Well, being a Explorer user and always after that high sweet sound I always leave it in Disc. mode and just flip the X1 on.
I really dont even much use pinpoint on the detector anymore as Xing my target I get my pinpoint down that way.
The reason is as you dig especially a deep target that sound will get louder, sweeter and more penetrating to your ears as the closer you get.
Although, I would not say I hunt in a-typical Disc. mod I run Iron Mask at -10 all to right open but, again thats just an Explorer users viewpoint. :thumbup:

Edit to say: I would also mention when you go in with the X1 I would best describe the method as whipping/flipping the probe quickly back and forth while pushing into dirt hardpack that in itself kind of pinpoints the target in its own way. Hope you get what I am saying.

On my MXT I generally use the Sunray in disc. However, once in a while, if I want to gain a bit of depth or tighten the detection pattern, I will pull and hold the pinpoint trigger - maybe 5% or less of the time.
BB