Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SUPER RARE Confederate Button Found! "HNRC"

jimmy

I dug this button thursday afternoon feb.12 2015 at a local large campsite near Raleigh, N.C., I posted pictures of it on the civil war forum on this site for help in identification and possible value, after much research myself and valuable help from others I am now posting here in the finds section as it is the best rarest and valuabe find I have ever made as far a civil war relics go. My son Doug called me that day and asked me if i wanted to go detecting that day and I am sure glad I did even though I had some "honey do" chores. This area we hunted was an area Doug had found a rare Bingham Military School button in 2014. My friend Tom Smith has the books by Tice and Albert, they are listed a Tice NC24a1 and Albert NC18 both books were 1998 printings and the value stated for the Hornets Nest Rifle Corps Button was just simpy mind blowng to me and I had to sit down as Tom explained the details of rarity and possibe value as listed in those books. I must admit my son called it right where we stood that day and told me to take it out of my pouch and put it in the car while we continue our hunt, when I first showed him the button he said "Dad, thats a thousand dollar Button" I said no way! but put t in the car anyway. Well Doug missed the value by a few thousand to say the least, heck I was jus hoping it was a 200.00 button. This site has been pounded for many years by us and hundreds more but we have been having some success using the 17" coil on our CTX3030'S, all of our finds at ths site are mostly in the 6"to12"+ Btw Doug got his 1st seated coin the day before this hunt a 1838 Half Dime. I am still on cloud 9, Thanks for reading my ramblings, Jimmy (US Navy 1965-71)

Thanks for the post AND thanks for a Great Father Son team. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Thanks togg77, we love hunting together and it just makes for a special day even when we do not find much in the way of relics,coins etc. it's the other intangibles that mean the most.

Hi Metalfun, Thanks fo rthe comment, and yes we both live in johnston county near Smithfield N.C.

Congrats jimmy on a very rare button find! Thanks for the back story and to hear that your son shares a common interest in metal detecting! That is special!

Great backstory and super sweet button!:clapping: Congratulations on all counts!
Mud

Dorothea Dix Hospital, we know it as Dix Hill, I am sure you have heard of it and know its history, originally was about 2300 acres but know its about half that due to city encroachment and NC State University.

Tremendous find, Jimmy. Congratulations. Wonderful button.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks ncwayne, I got lucky that day but I was in an area that had produced some good stuff over the years and I was swinging snail slow and got that repeat chirp that was just enough to make me stop and circle & pinpoint several times, I almost gave up at the 8"-9" mark as my pro pointer was silent but after running the coil over the spot again and re-aquired the hit I dug another 3" and then the pro pointer sounded off, whew!! glad I took my time almost 10 mins. on this dig. My son dug a Bingham School button about 20-30ft from where this button was at last year.

Nice find! I hope the button turns out to be worth as much as you said. I found a relatively rare 1840 William Henry Harrison campaign button last year and got super excited when I seen the value. Once I got it clean and started shopping it, my $400 button turned into a $20 button. :ranting:

I didn't know you could detect there. I live north of Raleigh in Franklin County. Maybe we could get up some time when this weather clears out?

Way to go.........Super nice find... a treasure find for sure....

thanks, it is a very very rare,prices have come down quite a bit from a high of 20,000 back in the mid 1990's to last one sold a cpl. yrs ago for 10,500 so I am hoping for 6,500 -7,500 if possible, I already have 3 interested collectors. Yes it is open to hunt at dix hill, you just cannot hunt near the buildings, I will contact you when weather clears and meet ya there show you around ,it's a very large place. Btw I did not cean the button only ran some water over it to clear off mud so i cold see what it was, an appraiser told me not to touch it, hope to cya there soon.

Thanks, it was a bigger thrill finding this button than the 1 oz nugget I dredged in Alaska back in 2007.

Jimmy,

Contact me at taudande@outlook.com. I have a local exploration opportunity that will close in the next day or so.

Great find! I am in Goldsboro and found a beehive button, North Carolina Military Institute. It was worth several hundred. You made a great find for sure!!

Great Find , its still on my List of Buttons, goldnugget -Charlotte,North Carolina, I still pound the sidewalks in Charlotte,looking for one.