Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Swapping between coils

Jeff (IL)

Well I'm thinking about picking up another coil for my Explorer XS. What are people buying in addition to the COIL that makes swapping between the 2 coils quick and easy. I assume people are buying a new lower rod?

I don't think they make the Explorer XS upper and lower rods anymore?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

Jeff

I can't give you any suggestions on an easy way to swap the coils, but I can verify that Minelab no longer makes the rods for the XS. I checked and they do not have any in stock. Wish I could help. Don

You will have to buy either a Used Explorer XS Lower Rod (no longer made but can find one maybe on Ebay or here on the Classified Forum) if you can find one or purchase a New Carbon Fiber Lower Rod that the Explorer 2 and the SE is Equipped with. Only thing is if you have the X-1 Probe, you will have to re-route the Coil Cable on the outside of the Rod. I have 2 Tall Man Shafts that are the Carbon Fiber Newer Lower Rods and had to wrap my Coil Cable around the Shaft and then used 2 Zip Tie's to hold them from slipping down when changing Coils. These Lower Rods have a slight wiggle in them since they are Round but this is easily fixed with some Electrical Tape. Hope this helps and Good Luck and HH.

James,

Well I guess I'll keep my eye open for a used XS lower rod. Haven't seen any pop up in a while but maybe I'll get lucky.

Based upon what you said, I'm assuming an Explorer 2 or SE lower rod will fit an XS upper?

Not familar with the differences between the XS and 2/SE upper/lower rods. Anyone have any pics showing the differences?

Thanks again.

I use both the xs lower rod and have bought another coil that came with the same lower rod, but also bought a lower rod for the exII and it works better for the larger coils....like the wot and x-1 -12" sunray coil. But what really speeded up coil changes was buying the x-1 sunray Probe....it connects on the out side so I don't have to stick a solid #12 copper wire down shaft to pull coil wire thru lower and mid rod...simple! its so easy to change coils now having the probe and one should not detect without it anyways...

The new rods will work on all the Explorers and the XS will also work on them all. The newer style one we have for the EX II and the SE are the only ones you can get now and they replace the older XS rods as where they side into the upper shaft is the same.
I have been using the XS shaft on my EX II and the SE with no problem and will have to look as I have several of these, but know 1 or 2 may not have the little clip that holds the cable that comes off the coil to the lower rod. I can switch the coils being i have the Sun Ray X1 probe is under 15 seconds. If you need a XS lower shaft let me know as I am sure I can spare 1 or 2, or if you want the newer style carbon fibre I have 2 used that were used very little and look like they are new.

Any user that has the Sunray X-1 Probe can tell you that after the Installation of this Probe, they don't know how they ever went without using one and there well worth every Penny spent on one also. The Probe doesn't just help in making Fast and Easy Coil Swaps but also helps find them Deep Coins that others would leave behind. The Probe ID's the Targets also in telling the user if the Target is Ferrous or Non-Ferrous and will aid in less likely knicking the Target on retrieval. This is the 2nd piece of Equipment that any New User should own, even before a Smaller Coil. Lots of time saved on every retrieval also. Sunray's #1 Product! The Sunray Probe! Good Luck and HH.:biggrin:

I lost the hardware once in the rocks swapping coils. Now all my extra coils for all my machines have the lower rod.
Makes swapping faster and easier - especially on those times when the fingers feel frozen.

I've been on the fence about the probe, but I think I'm going to have to seriousily consider one after reading these last few posts.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Rick, sent you a PM.