Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sweep Speed ??

lumacurve

Hello all , I have had my ctx 3030 for about a month and still learning everyday with it. My question concerns is about the sweep speed on this detector. In my test garden when I swing slow over a 9" dime It will only pick it up about half the time and somewhat iffey, If I swing at a fast speed it picks it up loud and clear, but I have read the machine works better at a slow speed ? So does fast equal better depth . My settings are sens auto 3 in coin mode. Thanks John.

this was a hot subject on this forum a couple weeks ago. air test do prove that faster swing speeds do equate to getting better "depth".however we had limited examples or no examples of inground testing which is of course a "the proof is in the pudding"
I'm curious how old your test garden is?

I'll repeat what I said in that last thread from a couple weeks ago that I hunt most farm fields with a fairly quick swing speed. as I encounter trashy areas I slow down to listen to the signals better.

here is the thread from a couple weeks ago.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2018397,page=1

Not knowing how you buried your dime... I will say sweep speeds should be varied for different types of hunting particular to your location. I have found fast speeds work and find targets but I have found very slow sweep speeds finds ones missed the first time through. It works both ways If I went through slow the first time and fast the second time I find target also! This is called technique and its what we do to learn our detectors! Happy hunting.
BCNJ

I find that creeping real slow in heavy iron pulls more targets.. Anything less than moderate iron can be swung at a reasonable speed just as long as you investigate all high tone squeaks..

Metal detecting is a learned art and learning how fast to swing your coil depends on your ground conditions. Yes you get more depth with a faster swing speed at the expense of missing targets that are close to iron or trash. If you are hunting in an open field with little trash or iron, you can swing a lot faster than if you were hunting in a nail bed which requires hunting at a snails pace and preferably a small coil. Everywhere else is somewhere between the two extremes. :biggrin:

Ditto on what GKman posted. When I work around the bleachers at a ball field with all the trash,I slow down and when in the park I swing a little faster, about 2-3 seconds per swing.

Thanks for all the advise, I'll try a faster swing in some of my farm field sites and then go over it again slowly. Thanks! And GKMan my test garden is about 4 years old thanks