Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Talk to me about river rocks.

INSAYN

So, today I ventured down to a very popular local swimming hole along the clear cold river.
The terrain is typical river rock, coarse sand, pea gravel, and bedrock.

I wandered all over the river from bank line to deep enough that my hat floated off my head when it got a bit deep.
Didn't find squat shy of a 1976 Lincoln, and who knows what year of a seriously Swiss cheesed Zincoln.

Initial settings:
6" coil.
Noise canceled.
Factory Coin program.
High Trash.
Fast and Deep both OFF.
Manual sensitivity was smooth as high as 27, started getting spicy anything going above 28.

The CTX was smooth and not all chirpy like I was expecting it to be with the suggested sensitivity running 1-3 on average, running manual 27.

Not too much falsing like I see in normal parks and schools.

Figured I would fiddle with programs and settings, and see if I could get some love.

Switched to my GH program that is setup in Ground Coin.
Noise canceled.
Fast and Deep both OFF.
Played with this for a bit. Nada
Added Saltwater.
Played with this for a bit. No love.
Turned on GB and manually GB'd it a few times as it clearly wasn't balanced when lifting the coil up and down during the balance procedure.
Afterword it actually raised the suggested sensitivity to as high as 9, but settled somewhere around 5.
Still no love.

I covered as much area as reasonably possible with properly fitted bikini's all around me, and teen kids jumping off the cliff on the opposite side.

I would have figured I would have found pull tabs, bottle caps, and some measurable clad. This place is covered with families, groups of teens and collage kids all summer.
There is no way they are that careful with trash and loose change.

So, does this CTX not like rocks, pea gravel and course sand?

Or is there something I am missing as far as how to set this up to push through and see targets in the rocks?

Sounds like you've found some VERY hot ground. Drop a rare earth magnet in that and see how much iron pops out of that ground. I'd almost bet thats it.

I would have thought that the CTX would have been unstable as hell in manual with a hot ground, but it was clear, quiet and smooth.

The pennies were odd though. The copper penny read 12:48 - 13:49 and had a really high tone. However, it was only 2" down in the course sand, rock mixture.

Our river rocks are all the same out west, so I guess I'm possibly screwed searching the rocky rivers.

I should go get me a rare earth magnet and see what happens for sure.

Try some targets of your own (coins) at the waters edge before going in. Even if someone else has detected the area there still should be more targets. I sometimes just go with the factory coin program with combined audio and ferrous coin mode( in fresh water) and a low steady threshold. Try the lower end of the swimming hole. River currents may move targets more than you might think. Sounds like a good area with all the people so hopefully you and your CTX will find that honey hole. HH :minelab:

The swimming hole is awesome for a day on the river, thus my desire to hunt it. I might have to consider hooka diving with an Excalibur to get down in the deeper area.

There is about a 15-20 foot gradual slope from shore down towards the rock face on the opposite side. Then the slope drops off REALLY quick as I found out that spans the rest of the .
The water is super clear and makes the bottom deceiving to walk on. The CTX, Grey Ghost head phones and hat all float, fiber glass handle on the sand scoop stands up. I sink.
Without freaking out, I just let go of everything and treaded my way back to the surface and collected everything before moving back to where I could touch. Kinda funny really. Nobody else on shore seemed to notice my gooof.

Later in the day I was swimming with my son and chose to just dive down and see if I could grab anything off the bottom, and managed to get an unopened liter of pink Powerade from 15 ft deep.

There has to be some goodies down there, but that is out of reach for the CTX for sure.

Nobody else has river rocks in their detecting path?

I was hoping to hear from more water hunters on their results.

Anyone.....Bueller? Bueller? Anyone... Bueller?

:crylol:

You should start my telling WHERE these rocks are located. I have ZERO problem with river rocks, but my area isn't your area. It's also hard to tell what flow is like, how often your area floods, how deep the gravel is, etc.

About 30 minutes from the "Left Coast".

It floods every winter, and I'm sure the rocks move around a bit.

The flows in the area now are pretty light.

Does your suggested sensitivity show up anywhere near 1-5, but not be chirpy at all up to 27?