Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Teaching My Wife. HELP..!!

fastdraw

After detecting for 6 months with my Nox 600 my wife has become a metal detecting Widow. I have encouraged her to come with me and learn so we could be partners and she said she wants to go and learn with me this Wednesday. she is very very technologically challenged and of course a husband teaching a wife can sometimes be a bad combination. So let me hear some advice about teaching my wife so that she will enjoy her first day and I don't somehow screw it up. I'm going to have to keep my mouth shut a lot and I already know that and I'd like to hear some advice from women metal detectors as well

the NOX is very user friendly, Factory preset and let her go and she’ll do fine. just give her a few pointers on what numbers generally ring up good.
a clean even sweep keeping coil flat and overlap not a Z pattern.
bet she’ll beat you. Iol

What I did with my grand son I took him to a local Tot lot that I had visited prior and planted some random coins so he would for sure have some finds. That help spark his interest. That way he learned the tones and found some goodies.
Good Luck!!

the NOX is very user friendly, Factory preset and let her go and she’ll do fine. just give her a few pointers on what numbers generally ring up good.
a clean even sweep keeping coil flat and overlap not a Z pattern.
bet she’ll beat you. Iol
Good advice Donut.. I hope she does clean my clock and find some good things. on my first day I had beginner's luck and pulled up a 14 karat gold bracelet from this city park. But I've never found anything that good since my first day.

What I did with my grand son I took him to a local Tot lot that I had visited prior and planted some random coins so he would for sure have some finds. That help spark his interest. That way he learned the tones and found some goodies.
Good Luck!!
I thought about maybe planting the nice coin or two, but she's a grown woman and she needs to figure out if she wants to take up this Hobby without me making it too easy for her. I could understand it with a young grandson. since young kids sometimes don't have a lot of patience

Maybe discriminate it all but coin numbers for her using a coin chart... digging only dimes and quarters up....or called cherry picking.... mostly shallow clad coins....definitely drop the recovery speed to 2 and tighten it up so she only gets the coins targets....accept only 13 and 24 to 26 and 29 to 37 .....
and rejecting all the rest....you should see only black dots on the accepted numbers...LOL....I am sure you know that.
A nice enjoyable hunt for her...set it park 1 recovery 2 and sensitivity 18 to 20. Does she have her own detector ? If not you probably won't dig much silver but you may hook her on coin shooting.

Just remember some people enjoy our hobby and some just don‘t so you have to take that into consideration.
Doug

Totally what Donut just said...just because WE have become rabidly interested in digging “old junk” out of the ground, there are certain people who just won’t enjoy it. Don’t ASSUME they won’t, but ACCEPT it if that’s the case. Me...I like the time out away from my wife, but we’ve also been together 22 years and have 3 kids. As I’d like to say, “Don’t I get enough of you at HOME??”:lol:

Maybe discriminate it all but coin numbers for her using a coin chart... digging only dimes and quarters up....or called cherry picking.... mostly shallow clad coins....definitely drop the recovery speed to 2 and tighten it up so she only gets the coins targets....accept only 13 and 24 to 26 and 29 to 37 .....
and rejecting all the rest....you should see only black dots on the accepted numbers...LOL....I am sure you know that.
A nice enjoyable hunt for her...set it park 1 recovery 2 and sensitivity 18 to 20. Does she have her own detector ? If not you probably won't dig much silver but you may hook her on coin shooting.
I was thinking very much what you suggested Elmy. Set it on Park-1 Recovery-2 GB-0 and let her do the 1-button press for Noise and just let her go.
I was thinking of keeping it to a short half day,... maybe spending 1-2 hours at an old abandon baseball park that's filled with modern pocket change
from the 1960's and 70's This way She WILL find coins, or get lucky with jewelry. and learn how to make a proper plug. The coin chart was a good
suggestion...!
If...?? she's still wants to keep detecting, We'll drive a couple miles and let her detect a canyon that had a lot of traffic from 1860's to 1880's which
is Real Life metal detecting. Maybe 4-hours total time..? (Half Day)

I was thinking very much what you suggested Elmy. Set it on Park-1 Recovery-2 GB-0 and let her do the 1-button press for Noise and just let her go.
I was thinking of keeping it to a short half day,... maybe spending 1-2 hours at an old abandon baseball park that's filled with modern pocket change
from the 1960's and 70's This way She WILL find coins, or get lucky with jewelry. and learn how to make a proper plug. The coin chart was a good
suggestion...!
If...?? she's still wants to keep detecting, We'll drive a couple miles and let her detect a canyon that had a lot of traffic from 1860's to 1880's which
is Real Life metal detecting. Maybe 4-hours total time..? (Half Day)
Rejecting the "Bad" numbers was a great suggestion.

Totally what Donut just said...just because WE have become rabidly interested in digging “old junk” out of the ground, there are certain people who just won’t enjoy it. Don’t ASSUME they won’t, but ACCEPT it if that’s the case. Me...I like the time out away from my wife, but we’ve also been together 22 years and have 3 kids. As I’d like to say, “Don’t I get enough of you at HOME??”:lol:
Both Donut & IDXMonster said what I already know...…. she might not like it...! I'm crossing my finger that she does, but I'm not gona get my hopes up.
I figure I'll know if she REALLY likes it, if SHE tells me that she wants to go again. If she never ask me to go again,... then I'll know it's not her thing.

yes...just let her go...keep your mouth shut and let her find it herself....let her have that "I did it myself feeling." And maybe lower the sensitivity to like a 16 so she would have to dig it deep on the first time out.
A pocket full of quarters should give her confidence and satisfaction. Of course you may be digging clad, if she likes it, for a few hunts, then go for the canyon.

I think it takes a farm girl , no pound attended. .
That hole you just dug. What’s in it, on it or dribbled down on it. We don’t think about that wen we get a good signal and it kivk in gear and we dig with bare hand and never think about it. Lol

Get her a good pair of well fitting gardening gloves, so her hands won’t get as dirty and keep from getting cut on broken glass. Let her ask you for help, and have fun.

I will be teaching my better half using two sets of low latency headphones paired to the NOX 600. The stock wireless 800 cans from my 800 and the Miccus set, they are the same. This way no matter who is holding the unit we can communicate about the audio and visual data the user receives. I'm sure this the best approach I ordered a 600 for my wife learn and use mostly at the beach for now.
Haven't been on here for a while but the OP comment is relevant to my situation. Togetherness is a treasure! Good luck!

After detecting for 6 months with my Nox 600 my wife has become a metal detecting Widow. I have encouraged her to come with me and learn so we could be partners and she said she wants to go and learn with me this Wednesday. she is very very technologically challenged and of course a husband teaching a wife can sometimes be a bad combination. So let me hear some advice about teaching my wife so that she will enjoy her first day and I don't somehow screw it up. I'm going to have to keep my mouth shut a lot and I already know that and I'd like to hear some advice from women metal detectors as well
if I may, Just Smile, Nod, and Wave. Smile, Nod, and Wave. I would add, be careful if she is the designated digger. My wife and I was at the beach one summer and she told me that she always wanted to bury me in the sand. I said ok, and my wife said I'll be right back. A few minutes later I heard a noise and turned around to see my wife sitting on a Bobcat. What in the world are you doing with this I asked. I'm going to bury you in the sand came the reply. Lol Seriously, best of luck to the two of you and have fun like said.

Last edited:
if I may, Just Smile, Nod, and Wave. Smile, Nod, and Wave. I would add, be careful if she is the designated digger. My wife and I was at the beach one summer and she told me that she always wanted to bury me in the sand. I said ok, and my wife said I'll be right back. A few minutes later I heard a noise and turned around to see my wife sitting on a Bobcat. What in the world are you doing with this I asked. I'm going to bury you in the sand came the reply. Lol Seriously, best of luck to the two of you and have fun like said.
I agree I will do a lot of smiling and nodding my head and waving and I'll just tell her that she is the detector and she makes the decisions on what to dig and what not to dig. she will have a coin number chart in her pocket

Getting her the best gear is the right way to start. There are so many types of hunting genres out there, might ask her what she might like to try aka beach, relic, coin shoot... My wife and I have been hunting for years and I can't hardly drag her into the field relic hunting but you mention beach or better yet a trip to England and she's all in and can whip some serious arse out there trust me I know first hand. Don't try and notch out her machine or play the cheat sheet let her have every chance you do and be prepared for the consequences of being out hunted. Like I say it all goes home in the same truck. JMO
HH Jeff