Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tell me about your sand scoop.. am looking for one

i have a garret mild steel model which i have modified to be used on a pole .plus an older model whos maker i have forgotten as its 30yrs old

I use a RTG two piece handle scoop I bought 8 years ago. Thing is built like a tank, Little heavy, but it works great. I always plan each new year to replace it , but then I think, but why.

I use a Stealth Extreme 920 with a carbon fiber shaft. The scoop is great and I love it even though it’s broken about five times. Luckily I have a TIG welder so I’m able to repair it. I wish it was lighter and stronger but if it was titanium it would be more difficult to repair.

Mine is a RTG 2 piece as well. It is a little heavy, all stainless including the handle. But it is tough and I like it for traveling.

Any scoop that is made of 2mm stainless will serve you well.......they are all strong enough to give you years of service.It all boils down to size,shape etc and what you like the look of.I've always stuck with the semi round design with the rounded nose.....served me well in sand,shingle and pebble type beaches,I'm not one for hankering after a scoop that looks like something out of star wars.A scoop is a scoop is a scoop.

heres the evo scoops from uk very strong stainless steel and would last a lifetime

1605859838153.png

Here is my scoop.The reasons I like it are:
1.It has a "bullnose" design.A sharply rounded nose is the best compromise between strength and penetrating wet sand etc.I've seen too many sharp points on scoops either distorted or bent after it had hit a rock under the sand.....sharp points are unnecessary in my opinion.
2.It is large.....most targets can be extracted in one skoopful with a decent sized basket....a scoop this size makes it far more likely you won't loose a target in a hole refilling with wet sand.Why take a deep seeking detector to a beach and use a small scoop.
3.The top plate.The top plate on this scoop has an upturned 90 degree lip on its front edge.This adds a lot of rigidity and strength to the area where the socket and braces are welded into the top plate.I see many designs where the top plate just has a cut edge providing no strength whatsoever.....this puts too much pressure on the braces which can lead to welds breaking.
4.It's 2mm stainless steel so it will outlast me.
It's large,strong and simple.....all I personally need in a scoop.

Attachments

• IMG_20201125_095112_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20201125_095112_burst_01.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20201125_094841.jpg
    IMG_20201125_094841.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I bought the cheapest one from amazon. 8 x 11. Just the scoop part. I'll use a D-handle from another tool like a small shovel. It has a decent size hole all the way through to hold it in place.

Previously I had purchased a smaller, maybe 5 inch round with an angled tube, perfect, but needed a thinner stick for it. It works good in the water, but doesn't quite get the deeper targets that are beyond 5 inches.

I also own a 6 inch round, with a build in handle. It's totally stainless steel, but is hard to travel with. Tried to get a welder to cut the handle on it, and replace it with the nub for a shovel handle. He wanted to charge $100.00, but then I found that 8x11 on amazon. I'm pretty happy with it, and it seems to be holding up well.

ed