Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Test your coils guys ..............................

ramases

Hi All

In light of the information below, you may want to check all of your coils as the goal-posts seem to be on the move .........................

Carl says ............

"It's true that I've instructed UK to test V-loops at Rx=15 and TXB=off. As we've gotten more long-term data on our V-nulled loops it has become apparent that nulls are shifting slightly over time. This results in loops that may overload at Rx=15 and TXB=on. Replacing a loop is usually only a short-term solution as the replacement loop may eventually shift as well, and 6 months later the customer is wanting yet another loop.

It's an unfortunate reality of the manufacturing process that things like this take a long time to see clearly. I am personally working on this issue, but possible solutions also take a long time to evaluate. Meanwhile, we will replace loops if they overload at Rx=15 and TXB=off.

- Carl

I have a suspect 6X10 that goes out of adjustment whenever the sun shines ................. sounds like I'll be pushed to get it replaced now!!

Really unsatisfactory this!

Colin.

With all the coil problems and costly upgrades to my V3 I'm beginning to regret that I rushed out to buy a detector that wasn't field proven.

I have the following V rated coils for my V3: 5.3 Eclipse, D2, 9.5, and Super 12. With RX at 15 and TX boost ON the only coil that doesn't overload is the 9.5"

With TX boost OFF none of the coils overload.

Are the 3 coils that overload with TX boost ON bad coils or not???

It really is troublesome that I am selling 4 of my detectors in order to finance a V3i. I have never heard of coils slowly going out of whack. I talked myself out of the Etrac based on the lack of customer support. I guess at least with Whites you can count on getting your problems addressed in a hurry. I feel like I am choosing presidential candidate, and I don't really trust either one of them...

All of your coils are good if they do not overload with Boost off and RX at 15.

Larry (IL) said:
All of your coils are good if they do not overload with Boost off and RX at 15.

I guess they perform that test at the factory before they ship out the coils?
This "null shifting" is a different problem from the D2 problem right?

Why is there a Tx Boost option if you "test" your coils with it "off" and if they don't overload they are good. That is one of the selling points of this detector. What good is it if your coil overloads with it on. It's a useless option. The F-75 LTD has a boost mode and it doesn't overload. I for one, am very disappointed to hear this from Whites!

I don't think trust has much to do with it, at least with White's. Trust could be an issue with Minelab because they do not communicate well. I haven't seen any hide and seek behavior with White's and they seem to be up front about everything. If someone thinks they "got shafted" by the evolving nature of he V3...well, we've all heard at some time or another that it is best to wait to see how a product does before taking the plunge. I do not think the upgrade was a big deal. As far as the coils are concerned, a wait and see policy seems to be the best way to go. White's is certainly trying to learn from this and, given time, they will probably come up with an equitable solution. If not, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

The null shifting is the reason that the coil does not test as perfect, the coil can have the null shifted and still be a very good coil according to Carl.

I have to respond. I personally have had my troubles with my purchases.
#1; I bought a V3 in Febuary. I literally broke it the 1st night I owned it mounting a home made stand. I called Whites and they fixed it for free even though what I did was out of warranty and totally my own stupid doing. I almost fried it. Nothing was charged to me whatsoever for the fix.
#2: My D2 supposedly lost it's null. "I wish I would have never read about testing them". I called Whites and Todd Sent me a brand new D2 and a 6x10. Come to find out after personally testing both D2's my old one works just fine" More stable than the new one" but can't run tx boost on over 8. Big deal. 99% of the time I do not run tx boost on. I do not believe there is a metal detector out there that will run smooth with it cranked all the way up. If it does then it's underpowered.
#3: I just purchased a Super 12 for my V3 a week ago and after a short time one of the ears cracked and fell off. Did I cause this? I don't think so but I am not 100% sure. I called KellyCo where I bought it and they asked me to call Whites to speed up the process. I did. Mary told me today not to worry. They are sending another Priority mail. She remembered me !!
I would like to see someone Find another Company that backs their Customers up as well as Whites does.
Nothing will ever work perfect 100% of the time.
I spent $600 on a DV6000 HP Computer and 1.2 years later it died. No warranty or anything. Come to find out there are many problems with this model. left hangin.. Junk.
My guess most of the coils are good. If someone doubts it from here on out, Try to find a coin 9" deep. If it does then it's good."My D2 that lost it's null still does just fine. If the heat does affect them and they are unstable then I would say they are bad.
Whites is awesome!!!!!!!

Schultzie,
The TX boost is not just a feature to test a coil. Generally TX boost is used in very clean ground (low mineralization) to boost the signal when your looking at a deep target. The tx boost isn't really designed to be used all the time, unless you have pretty "sweet" ground (as fox says, lol) and the detector can handle it.

The detector/coil must be classed as faulty if you cannot use the TX Boost function if it is overloading all the time. That is classed as not fit for purpose and surley should be fixed, if the null shifts through no fault of the operator and a feature of the detector cannot be used that means it's FAULTY...

n/t

Andreak77,

I understand the purpose of the Tx boost feature. I may not have made myself clear in my post. I will try again. If the coil does not "overload" with the Tx boost "off", it is a good coil ... would indicate to me that it may then "overload" with it "on". If it would "overload" with it "on", but not with it "off" (it is still a good coil) then it is a useless feature because you can not operate a detector in an "overload" condition. I would think a coil should NOT "overload" with the Tx Boost on to be a good coil. Depth is everything in this hobby. If you can punch down one more inch further than all the other detectors, you'll find more and better targets. Tx Boost is indeed a selling point to the serious detectorist. Maybe I am missing something here with this feature, I don't know. Just my opinion.

I can't remember a manufacture that was more communicative and fare how they chose to support their product than white. I hope Carl and others at White are not fully discouraged having offered such an advanced MD as the V3i to their supposedly loyal and more sophisticated user base. We need to stop and appreciate what White is trying to do with a product like the V3i. It is an advanced highly sophisticated instruments that has given MD enthusiast a endless group of tools base on the individual experience level, which can cover beginners who just use the preprogrammed mode or the advanced user that configures their own.

The introduction of the V3i is what other industries consider disruptive technology, a game changer, it is so advanced that other manufacture will not be able to truly catch up for years. We are lucky White put this product in our hands, so for a few, quite belly aching. If you feel you can't benefit from the V3is advanced offering, then get out, buy a DFX. But please don't say that White is not supportive, that they are not listening and that they do not have our best interest in the for-front of there objectives. White has shown they truly care buy this offering and how they have chosen to fairly handle what is perceived to be an issue.

Stop and look at the big picture, I for one am most grateful White chose to offer the V3i and not waited till we where a more sophisticate group to deal with the rough edges of this most remarkable advancement in our sport.

Schultzie,

If the coil does not "overload" with the Tx boost "off", it is a good coil ... would indicate to me that it may then "overload" with it "on". If it would "overload" with it "on", but not with it "off" (it is still a good coil) It seems that is true. Rob

Maybe I am missing something here ..........

Yes, what you are missing is the coil test is just that.......a test to see if the coil is good, it is not a hunting mode. Very few targets will be found holding the coil waist high with Boost on or off. If your coil tests good, you would lower it to the ground, ground balance and adjust for stability. If your ground allows Boost on, that is fantastic, most of us can not use Boost no matter how well the coil is nulled.

I agree. It does depend on what area you are in and ground conditions that you encounter.