Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Test your coils guys ..............................

If the coil is in the air, waist high, with no EMI... it should not overload with RX 15 and TX boost=on. However, the EMI issue is a huge variable considering microwave signals, sun spot activity, distant thunderstorms, etc... BUT... if one coil handles it all should (in the same place at the same time). It is just almost impossible to compare one to another because of so many possible variables. Bottom line, if you are getting the depth and ID that you should get, at depth... then everything is good.

J

Schultzie said:
Andreak77,

I understand the purpose of the Tx boost feature. I may not have made myself clear in my post. I will try again. If the coil does not "overload" with the Tx boost "off", it is a good coil ... would indicate to me that it may then "overload" with it "on". If it would "overload" with it "on", but not with it "off" (it is still a good coil) then it is a useless feature because you can not operate a detector in an "overload" condition. I would think a coil should NOT "overload" with the Tx Boost on to be a good coil. Depth is everything in this hobby. If you can punch down one more inch further than all the other detectors, you'll find more and better targets. Tx Boost is indeed a selling point to the serious detectorist. Maybe I am missing something here with this feature, I don't know. Just my opinion.

Let me say first off that I love Whites detectors. I have owned or used most of their top of the line models (eagle, spectrum, xlt, dfx, vision) since they introduced computer technology (the eagle) to the metal detecting hobby. I agree with other posters on this thread though, that if a feature is designed/offered on a piece of equipment and it doesn't work, then the equipment has a defect. If the coil overloads with TX boast on and I can't use the feature, then it is useless and the coil is defective. I have all of the V rated coils except for the super 12 and two (eclipse 5.3 & eclipse 6x10 dd) overload (always have since I first received them). There has been some discussion that overloading on some coils is a result of null shifting/deterioation. If this is indeed the problem then the the coil manufacturing/testing processing is bad or inadequate. I am a computer engineer/programmer (development & manufacturing process) and would suggest that this is a typical type of latent defect found in electronic equipment that can/should be found with proper stress/enviromental testing (i.e. extreme heat/cold, vibration, voltage/power, moisture, etc) modeled to simulate the product life cycle, during the manufacturing process. If properly tested this kind of defect should not escape the manufacturing process and be passed on to the customer.

The other thing that bothers me about this situation is that I purchased the V rated esclipse 6x10 dd (already owned & liked the non V rated version on my dfx), specifically to take advantage of the TX boast feature on the Vision . Upon receipt of the V rated coil I found that it performed exactly the same (recommended RX gain & overload with TX boast) as the non V rated version, so I wasted my money buying it, not good. Sent the two defective coils (exclipse 5.3 & esclipse 6x10 dd) back to Whites along with the detector (included a note explaining the problem with the coils) for the V3i upgrade. Just received the upgraded detector back (with same defective coils) and no mention about the problem with the coils.

On a positive note, I really like the new V3i (software, whp muffs, & improved pod) upgrade.

Thanks!

Just you because you can't run RX15 with boost doesn't mean you can't run boost.

One guy I know has a D2 that when he got the coil it would test RX15 with boost. He is big on testing and records depths. After settling in (curing etc.) the coil can't go higher than RX10 with boost. The important fact is he hasn't lost any depth with the coil.

I only time I'm using boost is if I have bad emi. I can lower the Rx to accommodate the EMI and then turn on Boost to get back the depth.[attachment 165000 ani_einstein.gif]............Rob

rcasio44 said:
Just you because you can't run RX15 with boost doesn't mean you can't run boost.

One guy I know has a D2 that when he got the coil it would test RX15 with boost. He is big on testing and records depths. After settling in (curing etc.) the coil can't go higher than RX10 with boost. The important fact is he hasn't lost any depth with the coil.

I only time I'm using boost is if I have bad emi. I can lower the Rx to accommodate the EMI and then turn on Boost to get back the depth.[attachment 165000 ani_einstein.gif]............Rob

Same is true with the non V rated coil (esclipse 6x10 dd), I can run both (V rated & non V rated) up to RX 12, with TX Boast on, with no overload, so what's the advantage of the V rated coils? I've tested these and can see absolutely no difference in performance, that's the point!

It's not a question of whether you can run boast or not (at less than the specified limits of the V rated coil design), it's a question of whether the product operates to the specified parameter limits. If design specifications state that the product should operate within given parameters and it does not then it is defective by definition, because it doesn't perform to the design specifications. Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't White's design specifications say that the V rated coils should operate by design (best case) with Rx 15 & Tx boast on?

Also operating parameter shifting (i.e. after curing) of electronic components, especially early in the life cycle) is indicative of inadequate burn in/testing which should be done in the manufacturing process (not with the customer)! This is why environmental/stress testing/modeling should be done to assure/understand the stability of the design/end product. Product stability is a key requirement in the design/manufacture of electronic products.

Typical product cycle: Development/design goals, design to meet stated goals, develop a manufacturing process to produce product to meet design goals, assure that the process can produce a product which meets the stated goals, test to assure that goals are met and remain stable over time (life cycle of product). Enough said!

How to test for a bad coil, from Anne@Whites

1 The best way to check your coil is to set your RX gain to 15.

2 Turn TX Boost OFF with the coil in the air (not on the ground or around other metal).

3 If you don't get an overload, your coil is good.

That is what the detector is designed for - not overloading at the extremes. The probe (zoom on the sensitivity live control) that suggests a recommended gain is not a good coil test.

White's will consider any loop that has a recommended gain of 8 or more in air to be a good loop.

It was my understanding that the TX Boost will work with any coil. But to fully utilize the 22kHz frequency, a V rated coil was needed.

What does the V rating have to do with TX boost?

HH
Mike

When you read all the posts .....and there are a bunch .......its
apparent that the high end machines have more issues to deal with.
More bells and whistles ....more things that can create challenges!

If you are up to dealing with all of the technical variables then it may be a great machine for you!
If your spend more time hunting than tweaking ..... the M6 and the MXT can't be beat!

Then again .....I'm sure at some point you will see version 4

Just my opinion.

Schrecky said:
With all the coil problems and costly upgrades to my V3 I'm beginning to regret that I rushed out to buy a detector that wasn't field proven.

FWIW, I have one of the earlier V3's (after the name change but before there was a manual for it). Other than the initial learning curve, I've had no problems with my V3. The original coil still works just fine (and will tolerate RX 15 with boost) despite the fact that it has spent many summer days in the trunk of a hot car. I did have a problem with the battery charger, but Whites sent me a new one and I haven't had a problem since. I recently got the "i" upgrade just because I wanted it, not because of a need, and I consider the $125 it cost me to be money well spent.

Hi Robert, I have the same good luck as you, BUT Carl has posted that the heat from a hot trunk isn't doing the coils any good. I don't push my luck. Rob

The V3 can be as simple as you want! Just use it. No need to reprogram the darn thing. LATER you can play around. Just learn the V3 as it comes to you.

Jerry

Hi guys,sorry to jump in but if your thinking about getting a V3 go for it.I did have some trouble with my first v3 but carl @ whites seen a post i made and made things write,How many other detector dealers would have done that,Whites has been around for a long time and if there is a problem with one of there detectors they will never try to hide it They will find the answers to the fix....I have used all the top brands and with out a dought whites is the best....Years Thing 17...Greg.....