Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

'Thank You' Minelab for the Vanquish 540.

Monte

They call this the Equinox Forum but I just consider it the Multi-IQ Forum. The Equinox 800 is a fine detector that is workable for a lot of people who like to have some extra adjustment functions. It has them. They like the smaller round 6" DD coil, and I like the looks of it as well, but I have smaller 4.7X5.2, and 5" DD's and 6" Concentrics on my primary-use, get-serious Relic Hunting models. I wished they had a nice mid-sized coil for the EQ-800, but the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack came with two coils, with my primary-use choice being the 5X8 DD.

My approach to detector and coil combinations has been settled on many decades ago when I appreciated the fact that there is no 'perfect' detector and I preferred to establish a working detector battery of units that provided me the best performance afield based on the features they offer5ed and performance afield in the tough, challenging sites I like to hunt. I've used Simultaneous Multi-Frequency models of one iteration or another since the mid-'90s. I learned that some of them have some useful strengths .... but also found that many Single-Frequency models also stood out in some applications. It's nice that the Equinox 800 provides the consumer with both SMF and selectable Frequency options .... but I also like to keep things 'Simple' and the Vanquish 540 makes a near-perfect fit.

I do like the 'standard' 9X12 DD for wide-open, sparse-target areas such as plowed fields, but I have found the mid-size 5X8 DD to be a really nice 'general-purpose' search coil, and it stays mounted full-time on my device. The other things I like about the V-540 are the 'keep-it-simple' design with a choice of factory default modes that provide a couple of recovery speeds, and the well-designed control face lay-out that lets me make quick mode changes, 'Save' a desired 'Custom' mode, and the fact that the 540 Pro Pack comes with the excellent ML-80 wireless headphones that are very comfortable, light-weight, and provide very acceptable aaudio quality for this hearing impaired old hart.

I have models I pick-and-choose for different detecting outings, but I also keep a couple of detectors in my vehicle full-time as my 'travel companions' that are at-the-ready for any opportunity I happen to chance upon. Torn up sidewalks, demolition work, etc., etc. The V-540 w/5X8 DD is one of my always-carry units.:thumbup:

So I say 'Thank You' MInelab for the time and effort you put in to the Vanquish design.

Monte

Monte I also like the 540 and V8 coil it's probably one of the best trashy site setups I've ever used. When I'm not using it I'm using a Explorer II for the rest of my hunting. I have always liked the FBS machines and the tones they produce is very telling on what you have beneath the soil. If I didn't have a FBS machine the 540 would be just fine for all of my hunting needs. I have all 3 coils V8,V10, & V12 so I know I have all of my bases covered for my hunting needs.

Monte I also like the 540 and V8 coil it's probably one of the best trashy site setups I've ever used. When I'm not using it I'm using a Explorer II for the rest of my hunting. I have always liked the FBS machines and the tones they produce is very telling on what you have beneath the soil. If I didn't have a FBS machine the 540 would be just fine for all of my hunting needs. I have all 3 coils V8,V10, & V12 so I know I have all of my bases covered for my hunting needs.
I used to have some BBS Sovereigns in my detector group and then went to the FBS series. I owned several models but preferred the Explorer II. I used them occasionally, but not that often due to their terrible weight and balance coupled with my health issues and bad back/shoulder/neck. Besides, since mid-'83 about 90% of my hunt-time is devoted to Relic Hunting old-use locations that have a very heavy presence of nails and other ferrous debris. They don't work well in very iron contaminated environments.

For me and those types of challenges, I need modern detector with Tone ID and visual Target ID
(even though I know they will not be accurate in the trashier conditions) that will provide me with a quick-response and decent audio that will match or better my proven Tesoro Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric coil. Few detectors can do that. In the parse-target areas I can take advantage of the Tone and Visual ID functions.

I have my dedicated 'get-serious' Relic Hunting devices, but wanted something that was light-weight, comfortable to use, had a nice smaller-to-mid-sized coil (such as the V-540's 5X8 DD) and was, quite simply, 'fun-to-use.' The Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD is just such a unit, and it works reasonably well in a lot of different applications. That's why I keep it in my vehicle in my 'travel team' of detectors for any-day use.

I, too, have all the bases covered for the detecting I most enjoy doing and appreciate what I get in performance out of the basically simple yet functional V-540.

Monte

I used to have some BBS Sovereigns in my detector group and then went to the FBS series. I owned several models but preferred the Explorer II. I used them occasionally, but not that often due to their terrible weight and balance coupled with my health issues and bad back/shoulder/neck. Besides, since mid-'83 about 90% of my hunt-time is devoted to Relic Hunting old-use locations that have a very heavy presence of nails and other ferrous debris. They don't work well in very iron contaminated environments.

For me and those types of challenges, I need modern detector with Tone ID and visual Target ID
(even though I know they will not be accurate in the trashier conditions) that will provide me with a quick-response and decent audio that will match or better my proven Tesoro Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric coil. Few detectors can do that. In the parse-target areas I can take advantage of the Tone and Visual ID functions.

I have my dedicated 'get-serious' Relic Hunting devices, but wanted something that was light-weight, comfortable to use, had a nice smaller-to-mid-sized coil (such as the V-540's 5X8 DD) and was, quite simply, 'fun-to-use.' The Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD is just such a unit, and it works reasonably well in a lot of different applications. That's why I keep it in my vehicle in my 'travel team' of detectors for any-day use.

I, too, have all the bases covered for the detecting I most enjoy doing and appreciate what I get in performance out of the basically simple yet functional V-540.

Monte
Can’t read your post with dark background and dark letters

Hum , I don’t know where would that be.
where would I change it at.

In Windows ..Start .. Settings .. System ..Display Color Night Light .. Off
It’s on my iPhone, no windows. What about in the settings in the app for this site.

I had the same issue with dark screen click on the light bulb at the top of the screen.

Yep the lightbulb dose the trick .
Thank you.

They call this the Equinox Forum but I just consider it the Multi-IQ Forum. The Equinox 800 is a fine detector that is workable for a lot of people who like to have some extra adjustment functions. It has them. They like the smaller round 6" DD coil, and I like the looks of it as well, but I have smaller 4.7X5.2, and 5" DD's and 6" Concentrics on my primary-use, get-serious Relic Hunting models. I wished they had a nice mid-sized coil for the EQ-800, but the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack came with two coils, with my primary-use choice being the 5X8 DD.

My approach to detector and coil combinations has been settled on many decades ago when I appreciated the fact that there is no 'perfect' detector and I preferred to establish a working detector battery of units that provided me the best performance afield based on the features they offer5ed and performance afield in the tough, challenging sites I like to hunt. I've used Simultaneous Multi-Frequency models of one iteration or another since the mid-'90s. I learned that some of them have some useful strengths .... but also found that many Single-Frequency models also stood out in some applications. It's nice that the Equinox 800 provides the consumer with both SMF and selectable Frequency options .... but I also like to keep things 'Simple' and the Vanquish 540 makes a near-perfect fit.

I do like the 'standard' 9X12 DD for wide-open, sparse-target areas such as plowed fields, but I have found the mid-size 5X8 DD to be a really nice 'general-purpose' search coil, and it stays mounted full-time on my device. The other things I like about the V-540 are the 'keep-it-simple' design with a choice of factory default modes that provide a couple of recovery speeds, and the well-designed control face lay-out that lets me make quick mode changes, 'Save' a desired 'Custom' mode, and the fact that the 540 Pro Pack comes with the excellent ML-80 wireless headphones that are very comfortable, light-weight, and provide very acceptable aaudio quality for this hearing impaired old hart.

I have models I pick-and-choose for different detecting outings, but I also keep a couple of detectors in my vehicle full-time as my 'travel companions' that are at-the-ready for any opportunity I happen to chance upon. Torn up sidewalks, demolition work, etc., etc. The V-540 w/5X8 DD is one of my always-carry units.:thumbup:

So I say 'Thank You' MInelab for the time and effort you put in to the Vanquish design.

Monte

Hey Monte ,

Monte
Hey Monte, I am getting great results also with the 540 . I have the v10 on it and it has excellent separation. Also must say it has a great clean sounding audio. That being said, you probably have experience with the Simplex ? Could you go over to the comparison detector forum and give input comparing the two detectors?? Thanks Tony

Hey Monte, what's the other detectors in your arsenal?
Good question and I have several in my Regular-Use Outfit:

In my vehicle for regular, day-to-day travelling anywhere, I keep the following set of detectors:

Nokta FORS CoRe w/4.7X5.2 DD 'OOR" coil mounted and Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD mounted since those are my primary-use, get-serious Relic Hunting units. The best should I encounter a dense iron contaminated site.

The Minelab Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD mounted as it makes a good 'general-purpose' set-up and works great as a 'scouting unit' or checking 'fringe areas.'

Tesoro Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric coil since it is also a very good Coin Hunting and Relic Hunting performer in trashy environs.

Nokta / Makro Simplex + w/11" DD attached because I don't have any smaller-size accessory coils for it .... yet !! The Simplex + is a 'surprise-in-a-package' and offers more features and in-the-field performance for the dollar than most might imagine. With the 11" DD I have it on-hand for plowed fields and open spaces.

Additionally in the Regular-Use Outfit I have these at home and ready-to-travel:

Nokta FORS CoRe w/5X9½ DD for low-to-modest trashy sites.

Another Simplex + just waiting for a smaller-size search coils
(especially hoping for a 5" DD) at which time it will be come a 'regular-carry' set-up.

Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX w/6" Concentric coil which I grab when setting out for a day of hitting tot-lots and similar places.

Other Detectors I Have in my Den:

Fisher F44 w/7" Concentric coil that I mainly use as a loaner-unit for friends and family for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting

Plus a Compass Coin Hustler TR w/6" DD; Garrett Hunter BFO w/smaller-size dual-coil, Garrett Master Hunter TR-Disc. w/both standard DD coils from '75, Garrett American S2 TR-Disc. from '81/'82 w/7" CoPlaner coil. These are all working models I use in seminars to demonstrate what we had, where we came from, and what we gave4 up to get to where we are today.

Monte
(PS: There's always room for ne more for evaluation purposes. Value, usefulness and performance determines whether such a device stays or goes.)

Attachments

• C8557022-DCB7-4970-A44C-A7E31FF21B1A.jpeg
    C8557022-DCB7-4970-A44C-A7E31FF21B1A.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 170

Monte
I’m liking my 540. It has proven itself on the beach on both wet & dry sand, using V12 coil. I recommend this unit to anyone that’s not willing to spend lots of money or , a newbie to the hobby. Can’t beat it’s performance for the price range especially at the beach!