Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Friend Who Finds It All

fastdraw

My buddy runs the Equinox 800 and I run the 600. he never ever takes it out of park one factory default mode and pulls up old coins all day. if we're only twenty five feet apart, at the end of two hours he's got three modern coins and one old coin in his pocket and I have one modern coin.
I just don't get it..!!

One of life's Mysteries, some guys are lucky. Have you tried comparing signals? Audio might be another issue as well as hearing or lack of, I am getting along in years and find full size headphones offer better sounds.
HH Jeff

In the right place at the right time. How long has your buddy had the 800 and how long have you had the 600 ? How much time have you both had , learning the machines ? Have you tried digging all signals and then double and triple check holes and plugs. You may be skipping over something that you think is trash and there may be a coin under the trash being masked. If you get choppy signals with a good higher number in the mix it may be worth while to dig , check , and recheck . Usually and in most cases your trash to treasure ratio is going to high (which is normal) . But if you persevere it will pay off. A lot of people will give up on a spot because of trash , try to stick it out and really get to know your machine. If there is a lot of trash chances are nobody has really detected that spot .

The 800 is a little slower on defaults recovery speed park 1 at 5 recovery....the nox 600 is at 3 recovery defaults , which is one notch faster than the 800 ...which equals a 6 recovery speed on the 800.
I believe you could drop that recovery on your nox 600 to 2...which is equal to a 4 on the 800....giving you 1 notch slower than his 800...
He is probably getting that little extra depth over your 600...drop it to 2 and smoke him for a change.....

Just a guess !......Let us know !!

So he’s in the walking path and your not. The 600 is just as capable as the 800.
is he going slower or faster than you.
is he keeping his coil lever and flat.
is he taking a wider swing covering more area.
just guessing, watch him.
are your settings the same or is your recovery speed to high , same for ground balance, and sensitivity to high.
hot streaks come and go.
Doug

All good replies and observations. You can give the EXACT same machine to two different people with varying levels of experience and get TOTALLY different results, with “luck” having little to no impact over time. This is why there are always SO many conversations about what machine is best for what and when does this do that....the biggest variable in any of these situations is the guy behind the wheel. That subject is for a different time, but in my own experience, COIL CONTROL will make or break your results, or perhaps drive a person away from a site altogether. Besides the obvious idea that the machine should be set up to perform reasonably well, there are other small factors mentioned above along with coil control that all play into whether or not the results will improve, and it all comes with experience.

IDXMonster is right on...scrub that coil on the ground if possible....watch your swings and at the end of your swing it should lie flat on the ground not tilted up as some people do...
keep that coil flat your entire swing. Investigate all chirps and peeps you get thoroughly. Don't over do it on sensitivity , until you get it all together , then bump it up...no falses on swings.
Luck is not what does it... just hunt the areas where you would normally walk along to get to and from events happening where you are detecting at and you will do fine.
Just as donut stated above.....I just repeated him....it is that important. Stop and just watch a good detectorist do his job. Easiest way to learn.

Last edited:
My Friend "Who Finds It All" is a mystery. He does have 15-years of experience, and the Nox-800 is his fourth
detector. I have spoken with two other guys he detects with, who also run the Nox-800 and the same thing happens
with them. We all agree that metal detecting with him is almost depressing.

He bangs and drags his coil so much on the ground, that he has to replace the plastic skid plate cover every 8-10 months.
His swing rate is 2-3 seconds (as he bangs it) and he walks SO SLOW that none of us can walk that slow.

When he finds a target, he kicks aside everything for about a 18-inch circle,... then he kicks off the top layer of dirt with his foot
to the 18-inch circle. Then he does what looks like an Indian rain dance around the circle for about 3-minutes, adjusting only
the sensitivity numerous times. While he's doing his rain dance around the target, he will cock the coil at a 30-45 degree angle
from the ground,.... (Strange) and listens.

Then he kicks off another layer of dirt,.... carefully pinpoints the target and digs up a silver coin from the 1800 or three
modern quarters, or a very old silver belt buckel, or some old valuable Boy Scout pocket knife from the 1930's

He never braggs…. and says he can't help anybody because he doesn't know what he can say to help. He does say that
everybody pushes too many buttons. He's never read the owners manual, and only runs Park-1 Factory defaults.

His only advice is "Walk Slow"

The swing should match your recovery speed....drop recovery to 2 and by the time he digs his coin...you should have a couple in your pocket.

My 5 months of experience is not a lot, compared to my friends 15. Some of you have made the same comment about maybe dropping my recovery speed one notch on the Nox 600 and paying more attention to the coils position to the ground. that sounds like good solid advice for a beginner like me so I think I'll work on that. But I do believe that the Nox 600 is a very very capable machine. Especially for a beginner.

My Friend "Who Finds It All" is a mystery. He does have 15-years of experience, and the Nox-800 is his fourth
detector. I have spoken with two other guys he detects with, who also run the Nox-800 and the same thing happens

He bangs and drags his coil so much on the ground, that he has to replace the plastic skid plate cover every 8-10 months.
His swing rate is 2-3 seconds (as he bangs it) and he walks SO SLOW that none of us can walk that slow.

When he finds a target, he kicks aside everything for about a 18-inch circle,... then he kicks off the top layer of dirt with his foot
to the 18-inch circle. Then he does what looks like an Indian rain dance around the circle for about 3-minutes, adjusting only
the sensitivity numerous times. While he's doing his rain dance around the target, he will cock the coil at a 30-45 degree angle

Then he kicks off another layer of dirt,.... carefully pinpoints the target and digs up a silver coin from the 1800 or three
modern quarters, or a very old silver belt buckel, or some old valuable Boy Scout pocket knife from the 1930's

He never braggs…. and says he can't help anybody because he doesn't know what he can say to help. He does say that
everybody pushes too many buttons. He's never read the owners manual, and only runs Park-1 Factory defaults.

Well then.. there you have it. You’ve answered your own question. The above is how he does it. Good luck!

I have the same problem. A friend of mine goes out down the beach and finds Roman gold rings and a coin that the coin dealer Spinks said didn't exist and I find mostly fishing weights, hundreds of kg of the stuff but just found a gold ring last week, so things may be looking up

I do the same thing as your friend. Low and slow. I also clear out the area when i find a target. Especially out in the woods , that is really when you'll be clearing things like ground debris and leaves and such. If time is not of the essence , enjoy yourself and slow it down. On those faint iffy signals I will swing it from multiple angles . Even some better signals get hit at multiple angles. Remember , if there's metal under the coil you will get a signal. I have read lots of positive posts about both machines, I really like my 800. A lot less fatigue factor for me. I am just as new to the Nox as you are, but have 25 plus years in the hobby on various machines. Look listen and learn what the machine is telling you . Time on the machine is the key to successful hunts.

I do the same thing as your friend. Low and slow. I also clear out the area when i find a target. Especially out in the woods , that is really when you'll be clearing things like ground debris and leaves and such. If time is not of the essence , enjoy yourself and slow it down. On those faint iffy signals I will swing it from multiple angles . Even some better signals get hit at multiple angles. Remember , if there's metal under the coil you will get a signal. I have read lots of positive posts about both machines, I really like my 800. A lot less fatigue factor for me. I am just as new to the Nox as you are, but have 25 plus years in the hobby on various machines. Look listen and learn what the machine is telling you . Time on the machine is the key to successful hunts.
You're absolutely right, I've only been doing this less than half a year and I'm expecting too find good things every time. So I'm just going to follow everybody's advice and mix it with my own judgment and research better spots.

IDXMonster is right on...scrub that coil on the ground if possible....watch your swings and at the end of your swing it should lie flat on the ground not tilted up as some people do...
keep that coil flat your entire swing. Investigate all chirps and peeps you get thoroughly. Don't over do it on sensitivity , until you get it all together , then bump it up...no falses on swings.
Luck is not what does it... just hunt the areas where you would normally walk along to get to and from events happening where you are detecting at and you will do fine.
Just as donut stated above.....I just repeated him....it is that important. Stop and just watch a good detectorist do his job. Easiest way to learn.
Ditto great points works for me every time! I never read my manual go slow and listen I setup both of my friends equinox’s and one found four silvers one afternoon one was a half his first day out with a nox!
I also have spent hundreds of hours detecting with my nox and time spent detecting you learn hey guys wear out cool covers I’m keeping mine to the ground but try not to bang it off rocks no need for that my cover almost two years old it’s all scratched up but not worn out
Now my lesche shovel is almost worn out in one year that’s how you find IMHO digging!
I dig and find .
Mark

Last edited:
Ditto great points works for me every time! I never read my manual go slow and listen I setup both of my friends equinox’s and one found four silvers one afternoon one was a half his first day out with a nox!
I also have spent hundreds of hours detecting with my nox and time spent detecting you learn hey guys wear out cool covers I’m keeping mine to the ground but try not to bang it off rocks no need for that my cover almost two years old it’s all scratched up but not worn out
Now my lesche shovel is almost worn out in one year that’s how you find IMHO digging!
I dig and find .
Mark

This man doesn't even have to write...all he needs to do is post his finds !

I hope he's not hunting in public places and digging targets that way!

This is getting a little off topic and I can understand if some find this funny but I’ll say it anyway; a postitive and optimistic attitude can make a big difference. Not just the karma part of it either. When you are positive - you act like it, like you love what you do and detect like it too... getting in under brushes, double checking blips and crackle signals.

Sounds like a classic Minelab detector!..Works best at slow & low , especially for the deeper stuff!......Its human nature to pick up pace to speed up for results....Don’t get in a hurry that’s the key!