Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The quiet park

I've been hunting a park that is over a hundred years old. The first thing I noticed is the lack of signals. You would think that a park that old would have a lot of crap in it. Not really you can cover quite a bit of ground with out hearing a peep from your detector. It's very peaceful detecting there. I've dug some trash and only about 6 coins, a '19 and 43 wheat's and a 1889 v nickle in about 4 hours of detecting. I think the only reason I'm finding anything is because I'm using an E-Trac.

I was wondering if anyone else has come across parks like this, parks that have been pounded so hard that there is hardly any trash in them, and even fewer keepers.

Bill

hunted some parks were areas are quit but not the entire thing it may have some clean full dirt added to it.

Ya. I hunted a ball park that had very few signals and almost no nulling. did find two old coppers and a barber dime and that was it.

Unfortunately, I contributed to the quiet of this previous Giving Park

There was recent times that every visit brought multiple keepers

Now, NOTHING!

It makes me sad and my contribution to the quiet makes me feel a bit guilty

However, I got soo many nice coins, IHs, Barbers, Seated, V Nickels and Buffalo Nickels and assorted other treasures
that makes me want to keep looking for another Giving Park

Good Luck and HH

I just got to a park just like that, old and small only like one city block but I foun few wheats and a 14K gb ring with a nice stone on it and lots of clad.
it was so small that I desided to MD the entire park and it paid off.
now is cleaner than before Lol. no more signals to dig.
HH.

I would go with the clean fill dirt in some areas, but not the major part of the park because of the trees. The trees are old and massive hardwoods. It's one of the oldest parks in the area so I'm sure it gets detected a lot. I've hunted some parks here that I know have been pounded into submission and I still find quited a bit. I just find it odd that this park is so clean.
I have an ultimate 13 coming when it gets here I'm going back, should be able to cover a little more ground and hopefully hit some deeper targets.

I have a park like that in my area that is very clean and about the same age with trees as you describe. The signals are few and far between but wheats are 3 inches deep and come out of the ground in beautiful shape. I only hunted there 20 minutes and had to leave but want to get back real soon. I think it is the type of people that frequent the park being a little more cautious about their trash and the maintenance crews doing a great job. After all this is the prettiest park I have ever seen. That also could be the park to use an extra large coil at, and dig all signals. HH Joe

I've heard of a few in other states who say their old parks have been hit so hard by others that they are devoid of even obvious trash signals. I find that hard to believe but I suppose it's possible, but I can tell you that none of my old parks are devoid of tons of deep trash signals as well as many iffy deep coin signals. For that reason I guess I should feel lucky. While I think somebody may put the effort in to dig all targets above iron at a park and make it their mission, if the park has any kind of size to it I think it would take a life time of constant work to do. I know several of my old large parks are so trashy that I don't think 5 hunters could clean one of them out if they made it their mission and life's work to do. That's why I always chuckle when I hear people say all the parks are hunted out. Not until you dig each and every signal out of there, because coins CAN read lower on the scale for various reasons (masking, depth, being worn, being on edge, minerals, etc), and of course no machine can see past the first metal object it hits. Even if the coin is off to the side a good bit of a shallower trash target, if the field is in any way hitting that shallower trash target first it's impossible to see a deeper coin. That's just the nature of physics in magnetic fields. While some of the energy can warp around and past the first metal object, it's so depleted in strength that it can't provide enough of a hit for the machine to even see. That's what makes small coils and also gridding from two directions so important, but also why no place is really ever hunted out until every signal (iron or not) has been dug.

I subscribe to the theory of others that possibly the site had clean fill brought in. It's obvious that it's fill when it's say clay, but when good topsoil is brought in nobody will know it's fill. Finding a few old coins shallow in it could just be because they were brought to the surface during the leveling of the new layer of soil, or were in fact brought in with the new dirt.

I'm not saying a park, especially a small one, could have been cleaned out completely by a group of hunters. I'm just saying that is the lessor possibility IMO, at least in all the public sites I ever hunted. Heck, I even crack up when I go to a local fresh water beach and find round tabs in the dry sand many feet from the shore where wave or storm action couldn't have exposed them. Who is hunting these places? If they are ring hunting a beach they need to scoop every signal. Then I hear at some beaches in other states they are so cleaned out that you only find fresh drops from the day before, and if you don't get there hours before sunrise 20 other guys will have already beat you to those few signals. I'm just glad it's not that competitive where I hunt, on beaches or land.

banditicey said:
Unfortunately, I contributed to the quiet of this previous Giving Park

There was recent times that every visit brought multiple keepers

Now, NOTHING!

It makes me sad and my contribution to the quiet makes me feel a bit guilty

However, I got soo many nice coins, IHs, Barbers, Seated, V Nickels and Buffalo Nickels and assorted other treasures
that makes me want to keep looking for another Giving Park

Good Luck and HH

Eva a strategy that Goes4ever taught me about such places, hunt again in TTF and dig every signal above iron, you will get a lot of trash but you will be suprised by what is still there. The first time I tried this was at an old school that has been pounded and I dug 9 nickles that I had missed before. If you have a small coil use that.