Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The taps are in, sap is flowing, spring is near!

Oldguy

It's maple sugaring time again in northern Ohio. Time to collect the maple sap from the trees to make maple syrup. Now I can talk about "sweet nectar coming from the hole".

Making maple sugar or syrup is a lot of work. Takes a tremendous amount of sap to make. Did that a couple of times when I was growing up in Wv. Mighty fine eating when you get it made.

I've been making maple syrup for 17 years, started as a school project when my youngest daughter was in 6th grade. I get about a gallon of syrup each year from 45-50 gallons of sap. Use most of it myself, but I do give a couple jars of syrup to my neighbor in early spring, he returns the jars, filled with his homemade plumb jelly in the summer. I boil it down outside in a boiling water canner on a turkey frier burner.

Awesome! A few years back my daughter wanted to run sap...so I made a bunch of taps out of sassafras, got a bunch of jugs, grabbed the cordless Dewalt, and Bing Bam Boom, we were in the Syrup business!

However, those dang trees got to flowing, and I was running around all day collecting sap from only about a dozen trees...and keeping that stuff boiling! For a week straight! :rofl:

One thing I did on one batch, was put a sassafras root in the mix on the final boildown...it gave a REALLY nice subtle rootbeer flavor...

After seeing this post, I watched some videos on youtube. Then went and got some taps, trudged thru the snow, and in a few hours, I am going to see how much sap I have. This is the first time making maple syrup. Look forward to having some home made nectar of the gods.

If you think homemade maple syrup is good, just try boiling it down a little further to make maple sugar. Melt in your mouth heaven.