Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

There's Lots Of Brilliant :nerd: Talent On This Garrett Metal Detecting Forum. ."WHAT DO/DID YOU DO FOR A LIVING?????" :ninja:

John-Edmonton

Staff member
It's always nice to hear about you, other then you swing an ACE, GTI, GTP, AT Pro, water machine , gold machine etc. Sometimes what you do or did for a living can be a real asset to some issues on the forum. And, it would just be interesting to see the broad spectrum of careers which may have triggered a desire to metal detect.

people.jpg

I guess I'll start...........

A RN Specializing With Hip & Knee Replacement Rehab Therapy......

Been an RN for about 20 years. Prior to that I flew hot air balloons for a living for about 5 years, prior to that property management and prior to that an environmental education to hopefully become a conservation officer for wildlife protection, but as is sometimes the case, things don't always turn out as planned. I have a lovely (only) wife of 24 years marriage, 4 & kids.

Life's been good!

Im a public school bus driver.

Let's seeee......

Did two enlistments in the USAF.
Made custom knives for a living.
Did my time and became a journeyman wooden boat shipwright.
Handled the maintenance for a small fleet of charter boats in the Caribbean.
Owned a small boatyard.
Worked full time on a wood lathe making "art" for galleries.
Currently own a business making wood and plastic parts and components for other shops with a CNC flat bed router and also make technical furniture for the broadcast industry.

Been living aboard a boat for 16 years and cruised a bit in the states for six years.

Been married 30 years, one son who has the boat he was raised on, we're on #2. He's still out there.

I have an AT Pro on the way as I write. Does that count? :biggrin:

I am in charge of maintenance for the Cook Housing Authority (HUD) ... which consists of two 24 unit apartment buildings and 12 duplexes. I am married with 4 children ranging in age from 5 to 17. My hobbies are metal detecting, coin & bottle collecting, ice fishing, been a semi-pro guitar player for 28 years. Took up the banjo this winter. Wishing it was spring :cry:

Served in the Marines, work in the electical field sales and service and in a gospel band. Put my wife through nursing school and starting to slow down a bit! Semper Fi!

[size=large]Started with 4 yrs. in the U.S.M.C. got out and work a couple of yrs. in wood handling eguipment, dry kilns.
Drove city transit busses for 6.5 yrs. then went into the maintance dept and learned to fix the busses. that lasted almost ten yrs. blew my shoulders out so they let me go into the parts dept. was there for 17.5 yrs. then retired.

HH[/size]

I am a disabled fireman. 17 yrs. on the job and stepped on a hose....had surgury developed RSD in my legs. Can walk too long and cant wear shoes but I can dig!

Metal detected since 1968
Some University
Started work for city
Last position foreman in sign shop for
city fabrication of all signs related to
traffic control did that for 30 years
Retired at 51 got serious about detecting
Currently paint ( artist ) sell art as prints
and cards via gallery and craft sales.
Currently have 10 detectors the AT PRO
being one of them. 1944 magic date

Retired fire Lt.municipal Fire Dept 25 years, EMT-Paramedic 43 years (still licensed), normal work week 90 to 100 hrs per week. National Guard Medical Sgt 6 years, one of the founders of a Rural Volunteer Fire Dept, Cave Explorer, Rock climber, Metal Detecting off & on 35 years, intensely last twenty years. Currently retired (will be 70 on the 24th of January), have two Daughters,five grandchildren,two great grandchildren they tend to keep me busy most of the time, looking forward to spring, Evan though I have been hunting over the last 2-3 months HH Steve

Hazmat, currently. That's where I've used the Fisher two box metal detector - to find old underground leaking fuel tanks and the connecting pipes. Been in hazmat for 28 years although I'm mostly in the administrative end now, sitting at a desk. Previously, I was an agricultural loan officer, a pesticide applicator, and a down hole mineral logger for a coal mine. Been playing the guitar since I was eight - I won't say how long ago that was. I play for my church band, gotta show those younguns that are my band mates how to rock.:super:

Im Cold War Vet in germany on border near sonnenberg when wall came down at 4am 1000 yds away .Work in waco tx City Of Waco parks an rec as an equipment operator for 14 yrs 15 in may .Been hunting 10 yrs have a daughter 11 yrs old which you might see out dirt fishing with me some .I was with the 2/2 acr 7 corp out of bamberg west germany echo troop mortar man

Hospital CEO for 12 years
Emergency Department Director and Educator for 20 years prior
Licensed Paramedic for 32 years.

Treasure hunting serves as my stress reliever. Wish I had found this hobby years ago!

Name says it all...for eight years now. Been in some type of Criminal Justice field since 1991. But for the past three months I have been a DAD to my three month old baby boy.

Grew up finding Indian arrowheads, pottery and trade beads on the family farm in North Alabama.
Attended Auburn University with main studies in Civil Engineering and some in History / Archeology.
Worked for nine years in the Civil Engineering Department of a very old city, established in 1733, where I was involved in many construction projects involving excavations in some of the oldest parts of the city. Some of the more memorable ones were: The installation of a water main through the parade grounds of a War of 1812 Fort which was also used during the early part of the Civil War. Laying a sewer main 18' deep through a turn of the century city dump which unearthed thousands of old bottles. The renovation of a large park in the historic part of the city where Gen. Sherman reviewed his troops during the Civil War.
Retired after thirty years working for a Railroad, twenty eight of which were spent involved in Labor Relations as a Labor Representative. During this time I traveled extensively, affording me the opportunity to Metal Detect in all of the Eastern States, a few Midwestern and Western States, and three Canadian Provinces.
After three years of retirement I went back to work in the Newspaper Industry. At present, I am the District Circulation Manager of Daily Newspaper which serves nine rural Counties. These Counties were settled during Colonial Times and my position gives me personal contact with many of the land owners making it easy to secure permission to Metal Detect old home sites.
I began Metal Detecting in 1962 with an Army Surplus mine detector, progressed up to BFO detectors (two of which I built myself), moved up to TR, VLF and PI detectors as technology advanced. I have owned and used detectors by almost all of the major manufacturers. I realize how very fortunate I am to have had Metal Detecting experiences that most in this great hobby can only imagine or dream about. Searching old urban parks that had never before seen a Metal Detector where less than 25 Silver Coins was considered a bad day, Revolutionary and Civil War sites that were undisturbed since the soldiers left, where you could still clearly see the tent mounds, fire pits, gun rings, trenches and breastworks. Other than 18" or larger diameter trees growing out of them they were exactly as they were when used during the war. These were Metal Detecting opportunities that are virtually non existent today. While the quantity and for the most part the quality of finds while Metal Detecting have greatly diminished, the great people you meet, history you learn and pure enjoyment of being outdoors doing what you like have not changed. Also the thrill of anticipation as you search and the pure adrenalin rush every time you hear the sound of a good signal is the same as always.
I apologize for the length of this post but in order to convey my experiences I did not want to make it too brief. A personal opinion: There are no truly bad detectors, only inexperienced operators who do not know and fully understand their equipment. Likewise the best detector is one that you use, learn and become proficient with, not one that sits idle and unused.
Happy Hunting
CE

Full time freakishly tall miscreant heathen!! At least that's what one of my old huntin' buddies calls me. But to bring home a paycheck, I'm a land surveying office manager specializing in oilfield related surveying. And no, I can't give you an oil well!!! I used a lot of different methods to locate monuments, pipelines and well casings in my 30 years in the field, so detectin' was a natural hobby choice. I wish I had picked up the hobby earlier as we used to go out on some ranches with old home places on them.....spilled milk.