Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

There's Lots Of Brilliant :nerd: Talent On This Garrett Metal Detecting Forum. ."WHAT DO/DID YOU DO FOR A LIVING?????" :ninja:

My first job was for a painting company. We painted factory's and towers along the Ohio river in south east Ohio. I did upholstery work in southern Ohio. I did floor maintenance in Kentucky and Ohio. I was head custodian for a company in central Ohio. I worked for a hospital in Missouri for awhile. Was a scratch baker in West Virginia. I cleaned salmon at a packaging facility in Washington state. I worked on a turkey farm in Missouri. I signed on to a tug boat in Washington state as a cook for a 6 man crew, we hauled construction equipment etc up into Alaska. While I was head custodian here in central Ohio I also had a Knife shop at the local flea market. I was doing so well on the weekends at the flea market that I gave up my custodial job and started flea marketing full time. I found flea markets around that were open on wed. Thur. so on those days I loaded my truck up set up out of town and on Fri. sat. sun. I ran my shop at the local flea market. I was doing great and was about to go into wholesaling when "911" hit. the bottom fell out of the flea marketing business . I kept my shop going but had to get another job. I realized that it was about time to settle down and get something permanent finally ended up going to work at a factory. ten years later and I'm' still there. no longer have my shop at the flea market. was tired of working every weekend. all the jobs that I just named were ones that I spent a little bit of time at. in between all those jobs I had little short jobs just to make a buck or two. cleaning banks, short order cook, wood chopper, shoveling out dairy barns etc. I could tell some tales of my travels and what I have seen and done and made some great memories,but I was so involved in living and not considering the future that I didn't bother saving for the future. don't get me wrong I wouldn't trade any of my adventures for anything in the world,but I should have been saving and putting money back all these years. Oh yea I almost forgot I did ten years in the Navy and left with an honorable discharge. I should have stayed in for another ten years and retired but after ten years I was ready to try something new. I bought my first detector in July of 2010 (Ace250). when I was sixteen years old I watched a man with a metal detector at the fairgrounds in my little home town. I watched him dig a quarter out of the ground and I knew one day I would be doing that. just took me awhile to get around to it. Besides metal detecting,one of my greatest pleasures is getting on the forums and reading and seeing pictures of all the finds that all of you are posting. Thank you all for that and Best of luck to each and everyone.

Ex US Navy.Currently with Texas Parks and Wildlife as the ships electrician on board the Battleship TEXAS in La Porte TX>

Hi I've been making dentures in my dental lab for 26 years!!! Been detecting since 1986 using garretts and never looked backed!!! I love this hobby! Heck I even named my youngest son Garrett!!!!

I am a Pharmacist and have been one for 15 years. I graduated from Southwestern Oklahoma State University in 1995. I was a pharmacy manager for Walmart pharmacy in Bonham TX after graduation till 1999. After that I became a pharmacy manager for Brookshire Grocery Company at the McKinney TX store. I did that for seven years and had all the management I could stand so I passed the baton on so someone else. Since then I have been just a "lowly" pharmacist and float between two stores which I absolutely love. I have definitely found my niche. One cool side note. One of the stores I work at is in Emory, TX. And one day a customer came in and he was wearing a Garrett Metal Detectors ball cap. So after I got done filling his prescription, I got a chance to talk to him. I asked him about his hat and if he liked to metal detect. He kinda smiled and said "yeah I sure do when I get the time to." I asked him if he hunts with a Garrett and he said "yeah I'm kinda partial to them since I work for Garrett." He told me that he has worked for Garrett for 26 years. He is the chief consumer manager for Garrett and is the guy responsible for the excellent customer service and fast turn around of all the repairs coming in and out each week.

I am also married to my wonderful wife of 15 years and have three children ages 15, 12, and 9, (two girls and one boy). My son has really gotten into detecting with me in the last six months which I love! He's gotten pretty serious about it and is saving up for a new AT Pro like his old man. For being 12 years old, he has really excelled over the past couple of months and has found a class ring that he got to give back to the owner. My company has done a story on me and my son and our hobby that turned out really cool and I will post it on here soon. It's really impressive.

I really appreciate you guys on here and have learned a lot on this forum. And John, you have done a wonderful job taking over as the moderator. If you ever are in the North Dallas area Id love to take you out on a hunt and feed you some good Tex Mex!

I have been a taper for 15 years. I started my own drywall and taping company in 2007. We are a small company, but do a lot of large and high-end jobs. The long days of doing construction, raising a 3 yr old, and metal detecting every chance I get definitely keep me in shape!!!

Presently retired.
4 years USAF electronics countermeasures repairman.
35 years Electric Utility working in communications and protective relaying.
7 years driving shuttle buses in Grand Canyon National Park.
Metal detecting from 1962 to 1980 and again from 2002 till present.
Hunting now limited due to bad back.

Air quality inspector for the last 13 years for our county. 15 years as an animal control officer with our county before that. A hitch in the Airforce before that. A full time preacher for our congregation during all my secular work.

:angel:

Im a retired 76yr old . went to college to become a physical education teacher , found out I liked to play the game but didnt have the patience with the little ones. Became a registered nurse did private duty and worked in a psych. unit wasnt my cup of tea. went back to college became a registered physical therapist that I liked! Had my own practice about 60 miles from NYC. Love metal detecting green with envy when I see what you pros pull up. I stink at it But I love a challenge. Married to a very kind and patient person we have 2 sons USArmy , Chef. Can still get around with the best of them .

Retired but put in 32 years in the Canadian Forces in telecommunications then another 14 years as a police dispatcher with the Military Police. Currently waiting for winter to be over but right now looking out the window is like looking into a snow globe. Driving to Florida next week so hopefully some warmer weather...

I grew up working on the land. Started detecting in 1986. I did an apprenticeship as a bookbinder/print finisher in the early 90's and did that for 13 years. During that time I was also in the Royal Australian Army reserves in an artillery battery and worked part time in a dive shop as a dive master. I got married ten years back and moved to the other side of the country. About five years ago I was tired of factory work so at age 37 went to university and did a double major in marine and environmental science. I currently work at the university as a technician in environmental science. I have one son age five who comes for a detect sometimes but complains about all the bottle caps!

77 years old.
Retired x-ray tech.
Digging when weather and back allows.
Trying to keep my face out of the soup.
Happy when I can look down and see grass..(Beats alternative)
Looking forward to 78.

Relay Technician for a utility company.
I use an infinium ls and a gti 2500

From the land of the Bluenose.....well me bouy been a detecting slightly over 40 years an all with Garretts. can't recall the model of the first but now have 5 Freedom 3 Plus, AT Pro and a Seahunter MK11. As for work...more like play I now am the 2nd I/C of a security shift at our airport...3rd ever job. Was a policeman then went into teaching youz. Have a great day.

I was a telephone man back in the days of the old bell systems ,started right out of high school in 1965,joined the navy ,volunteered for VIET_NAM But instead was sent to the north atlantic hunting submarines off of three aircraft carriers, I had sixty-six take offs and landings from the ESSEX,WASP and INTREPID. Came back home met my wife while out on a dancing date with five young ladies. Got married had one son,Ryan and in 35yrs of service retired as a engineer with LUCENT in 1999. I then gave back to the community by teaching at four elmentary schools for seven years I began detecting with a bounty -hunter in late 50s-early sixties. thanks Wayne in Delaware

Land Surveyor, 18 years; before that was a union carpenter/construction supervisor. I gotta admit, I 'see' a lot of things out there that most don't, and see out of the way places. I'm totally at home researching, and I know where to 'dig' up info.

Member of Mensa; elected public official, 15 years.

Been detecting for 30+ years, I like finding folks lost things the best. Happy faces are awesome!

I like being a dad, and detect with my daughter.

I am 55, a master mechanic and fabricator for a concrete batching facility in Alaska, been here 20 years and have been driving a concrete mixer for 17. So I am NOT in the big city Anchorage so I get sent out to many far off deliveries and I see all kinds of soil, glacier erosions and places that have trace. I have friends with gold claims and we swap ideas and stories. With the price of gold up so high I intend to spend my off time looking in a few good places for nuggets, I know a local jeweler who will buy nuggets no matter what size at good prices. I'm not interested in sluice boxes, dreging or even most panning though that will happen for the fine gold.
Still awaiting for our winter to end, probably won't be until almost june when I can get out, we have had record snowfalls up here and its best to wait until the breakup floods have died down, also better to detect on a couple of riverbanks nearby afterwords.

Been in the Navy as a Corpsman for 19 years. Did one tour in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. Thought about stopping at 20 or 24 years but just got accepted to Physician Assistant school so I'm hoping to do 30 and retire with 75% pay. The school's 2.5 years long and very fast paced. Detecting will not be sitting on the back burner but will instead have to be taken completely off the stove for that time so I can focus on my studies. I might get in a day or two of swinging during our breaks though.

Doc

Retired, 63 years old, served in the Marines, Vietnam, etc, etc. Electronic Field Service Technician, Aircraft technician. The doctors say I need exercise so I started MD several years ago with a GTI 1500, now have a AT pro.