Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This Crap Has To Stop

RLOH

I know this is a subject that has been beat to death, but I have keep on preaching. The last time I was at my favorite scenic park, I found a section completely trashed. I have found 8 silver coins in a small area around a pavillion in the last four hunts. When I returned to that area , I purposely looked for my old plugs to see how long they take to disappear. As I got close, I started seeing piles of dirt and I immediately thought a skunk or squirrel had dug up my old plugs which has happened to me in the past. Then, I saw a huge plug with half of an old aluminum can laying next to it in the dirt. As I started looking and not detecting I saw at least 25 more holes dug in the same manner. This hobby is too important to me to let this kind of crap go without saying anything. I will say something to the jerk doing this and hopefully the park boss doesn't see him first. I know this guy is on the fence with allowing metal detecting as he has kicked out several sloppy diggers. carrying shovels. In my rural area, I am seeing more people getting into the hobby and they apparently don't know any better. It is OUR responsibilty to steer these people in the right direction. If you are new to the hobby, use a hand digger and drop cloth in manicured parks. PICK up all trash you dig and treat every place you hunt as if it is a million dollar mansion. If you don't do it we are all screwed. Also, if you are a dealer, it is your responsibity to tell the people you sell to how important proper retrieval is done. It is my opinion that how to get a coin out of the ground is the absolute first step to take when a new person is sold a detector. We are all in this great hobby together. R.L.

n/t

I cant figure it out...why dont people have enough natural common sense where this behavior is not even an issue? We should always in any endeavor leave an area with no trace we were there, and better than before we arrived. It should be in BOLD LETTERS on all detectors sold. There is little to no instruction about coin retrieval or common sense digging techniques with the detectors sold...should be right on the top of the coil with "CAUTION, you will get arrested or worse if you dont wise up fast" or something...
Mud

I have a friend up here who caught the detecting bug after seeing what I was pulling from the ground. Now him and his brother go around leaving chaos in their wake. I even made a point to explain the whole detecting code of ethics to him, but he could care less obviously. I may have to beat both of their backsides the next time I see them out. Fortunately (for them), fishing season is coming so they will be pre-occupied for the rest of the summer and fall. Selfish idiots ..

I think the detector manufacturers should start requiring their dealers to teach proper target recovery before they are allowed to complete the sale on a detector, even if it's only a ten minute demonstration in the front yard of the place where he sells his machines (many dealers sell out of their house). The customer should then have to check on his warranty card that, _YES...The dealer did demonstrate proper target recovery techniques to me with a small hand held digger and probe, or _NO...The dealer did not show me proper retrieval methods of targets with a small digger and probe. Both methods should be taught because shallow targets should only be retrieved with a screwdriver or probe.

Anyway, if the manufacturer gets back a few warranty cards that don't have the proper box checked that they were trained on target retrieval, then the manufacturer should give them a call and tell them that if they don't start doing that with every customer they will lose their right to sell their detectors. It's in the interest of manufactures, because the more places that get banned the less detectors they are going to sell.

I also think these YouTube videos with guys using shovels should come with a disclaimer that they are only using those things on private land. I think the companies who make those shovels and long handled diggers should also put on the tool that it is intended to be used on private property only, and that the use of such a tool on public land will in the long run get us band at more and more places.

I agree with you 110% RL. This is a hobby where we will all unfortunately pay for the "sins" of the uneducated detectorist. I started very young ( about 12 y.o.) with my first detector. My dad gave me the detector and said go have fun. I went all around the yard and found nice old coins, keys, toys etc and I instinctively knew to cover my holes. Not once did my My dad have to tell me, "Jim you better make sure you cover your holes" It was just common sense to fix what I created on the ground. I made a hole, now, I must cover it back up. Maybe some never were brought up / got that natural lesson of common sense / responsibility.

RLOH-----I couldn't agree with you more, you called it to the letter.----If we don't get a "handle" on these sap heads--we're all going to get a "sign" on us (a no m.d.ing sign)!------If you catch them, don't let them off the hook---and that's the problem--they are usually hard to catch (in the act).-----My wife & I spend half of our hunt time at some sites repairing damage caused by these clowns.----------Del

Yes indeed RLOH, the situation is gut retching sickening! I agree that the Mfgs' and Dealers are all overdue in taking a more active part in some common sense instruction to their customers about such matters so important to the hobby.Another "Duh" moment has passed them by it seems.The Mfgs' and Dealers have the best avenue to approach their customers through their Advertizing, and sales.Moreso at the time of sales, and in a manner that makes it known just how serious any offences can be.With all the new outlets for detectors such as Wally World,Bass Pro shops and many others, it is no wonder we are seeing so many places trashed. Beavus and Butthead are not cartoon folks, but real live AH s'..If something is not done we can be sure there will be even more places trashed and closed because of them.. To bad so many folks are lacking in common sense, but that is pretty much the product of having been taught good manners and respect for others,but that is an unknown in the thoughts of too many folks now days Many of.our Ruling Class is living proof of that failing.Nuff said! HH, Charlie

sorry to say most of it is them being stupid and lazy. i know a couple of people like this and they just don't care. but people like them are the first ones to complain about a sign being put up not allowing detecting or a landowner not given them permission. they just don't get it, and i beleive they never will .....and if you really want to try and figure them out, just look at how they where raised....enough said..

I remember when I purchased my XLT back in '97 or so that Whites had included a video showing the recommended (by Whites) method of recovering a target... a careful horseshoe-shaped cut into the sod with a digging tool, a careful flip-over of the sod leaving one side of the plug attached, and using a rag to keep the loose soil from ending up atop the grass. I have seen other methods also work well, but this is the one I have learned and it is VERY rare that I can even find where I made a recovery five minutes after I've done it. Does anyone else remember that video? Why doesn't Whites still include that with new detector purchases?

Yes, best way to dig a plug is like that...with one end still attacked like a hinge so it can be flipped out/back in the hole without moving. If you don't do that and rotate a plug it usually doesn't look as nice back in the hole. People, please try this method. It took me a little while to get the hang of it after digging normal plugs, but now I can even dig deep ones with this hinge method. Another added benefit to it is that some roots still are intact connecting to the rest of the grass in the yard, so less likely to kill the grass in the dry season.

The only change I made with that technique is instead of a ground cloth, I use a cheap, shallow PLASTIC 10" gold pan to place the dirt into that comes out of the plug. That way you can scan the pan across your detector coil while it's laying next to you to find your target. When you are done with the hole, you can fill your hole back up with no spillage. I never lose a target this way and have found multiple targets in the same hole. When not in use, it hangs from a cord over the handle of my digger on my belt.

Ahhh...The good old days of having to pick up the plug or a handful of dirt and wave it over the top of the coil to see if you have the target. Haven't done that in years thanks to the Garett ProPointer. Couldn't imagine hunting without that thing now. In fact, when I've had the battery in it die (which usually lasts close to a year for me) I just pack up and go home. Won't hunt without it. It's that good.

Critterhunter said:
Ahhh...The good old days of having to pick up the plug or a handful of dirt and wave it over the top of the coil to see if you have the target. Haven't done that in years thanks to the Garett ProPointer. Couldn't imagine hunting without that thing now. In fact, when I've had the battery in it die (which usually lasts close to a year for me) I just pack up and go home. Won't hunt without it. It's that good.

Funny that you say that. Yesterday I drove a couple of miles out of town to hit a spot. And as I was getting stuff out of my truck I remembered where my Pro-pointer was sitting in my house. I cussed and put everything back and drove home to get it .. lol !

You can't stop it. And that's all there is to it. HH

I routinely hunt old yards. I'm very careful about cutting hinged plugs. However due to weather and soil conditions the area can still brown out. I usually go back by a yard several days after a hunt to see if there are any browned out areas. If I find them I carry a 5 gal. jug of ready mixed spot repair and a case of water with me to try and make it look right again.

These are probably the same kind of inconsiderate slobs that throw their garbage out the car windows causing eye polution to MY country. If I was alowed to be God for a day, I would magically have every piece of litter these slobs ever threw on the streets, roadways, and yards, suddenly appear in their homes, in their bed sheets, in their sinks, floors, bathtubs, yards, and of course, in their cars. And then for the nasty hole diggers, they would buy grass seed with their own money and go to the parks they vandalized and fill in the holes and plant grass on the bare spots.
Good thing I'm not God, I think I could get really carried away with this power thing.:please:

So let me see if I have this straight: So I shouldn't be using jack hammers, backhoes, pick axes, large shovels, or cutting down entire trees.....LIKE THEY DO ON THAT LAME TV SHOW AMERICAN DIGGERS!!!!! Ok, now I think I got it. Thanks.