Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This ever happen to you?

Yes, it was a pain. It end up being pieces of lead solder….drove me nuts….

I can't pinpoint worth a damn with the Nox.

With minelabs, imo, the depth gauge is a suggestion.
Pinpoint system on the equinox is one of the easiest I ever used. When zeroed in on the target, that object is sitting right below the lower rod stem.

Ever find a target and cant pinpoint it? or the detector says it is 4" deep and it is 8 or 2?
In these cases it’s usually some oddball shaped metal. Although small coin spills with coins at different depths drive me nuts too. But when there are multiple silver coins in the hole ( which has happened quite frequently since I been using the equinox) it’s all worth it 😂

Pinpoint system on the equinox is one of the easiest I ever used. When zeroed in on the target, that object is sitting right below the lower rod stem.
I use a method where I find what the machine calls center, and then toggle pinpoint off, and back on, and move slightly with the coil still on top of that spot, and if the tone resurfaces, I reiterate until there is the slightest tone is given. It's like walking into the better center spot.

Ever find a target and cant pinpoint it? or the detector says it is 4" deep and it is 8 or 2?
Hi, Steve, I have a Garrett AT/Max. Many times when it locates a good loud signal and it indicates it is only two inches deep, after I dig 8 or 10 inches deep, I find an old mashed aluminum can. So, basically if it says shallow and I don't find it shallow it is large and deep. I hope this helps you. R.E.

Happens all the time here in Germanybecause of all the iron scraps in the ground. When you click over to pinpoint it tries to find the center of the multiple targets under the coil. I usually don't switch over.

Other item that is and to pinpoint is a piece of copper wire

I use a method where I find what the machine calls center, and then toggle pinpoint off, and back on, and move slightly with the coil still on top of that spot, and if the tone resurfaces, I reiterate until there is the slightest tone is given. It's like walking into the better center spot.
'Double-Clutching' is what the old timers taught me in using this same technique with White's XLT.

For pinpointing with the Nox i have found that the wiggle and draw back of the coil is the best way, not even using the pinpoint button, just wave over the target and pull back the coil until you don't hear it any more and the target is at the tip of the coil.

Metal detectors are set up on depth with a coin size target in mind, if for example the target is small like a 22 bullet and is sitting at say three inches the detector will often show it to be twice that depth. On the opposite side for example, say the target is large like a pop can sitting at six inches the detector will show that depth at three inches.
Often when a coin is sitting on edge or tilted the pinpoint will be off several inches from the actual target and this also could cause an inaccurate depth reading. I remember a perfect example of a coin sitting on edge just a few months ago, I mean this quarter was standing straight up and down in the dirt, it caused two clear signals just four inches to each side of the coin so I thought this is two coins but it turned out to be just one.

Steve, yes has happened a few times to me. I get a tone and a vid but no matter what I was unable to pinpoint it.
Is this what you are talking about - pinpoint will not give you a center? It just fails to find the target?
Strange for sure.
Tony

'Double-Clutching' is what the old timers taught me in using this same technique with White's XLT.
I left out the last part of my method. The small moves I mentioned end up being me lifting the coil a tad after the detune, and then pat the coil on the ground in pinpoint mode a smidgen to one side, and keep doing that while detuning GB. Eventually you will get the tone quiet, except for when you compress the grass over that last spot where it went quiet. Lastly, I confirm the actual desired signal is the one I've pinpointed. It is easy to stray to trash. Anyway, that's my way. Patting the coil near the final location is easier IMO than sliding the coil around. It's easy to do with practice.

I had a dime tone the other day in an area where silver is still a possibility, the F75 was saying 5” and everything at this point was going normal. Cut a square plug with the Lesche so thats 7” easy. Pulled the plug and nothing with the Garrett so around the plug I went, nothing. Cleared my tools and moved the plug and scanned both plug and hole, nothing. Ok, can happen so put everything back in place and fast scan before I move on. Dime signal……..? Pulled the plug again and since I was mostly in dirt decided full autopsy in order, nothing. I still have no good answer……

I had a dime tone the other day in an area where silver is still a possibility, the F75 was saying 5” and everything at this point was going normal. Cut a square plug with the Lesche so thats 7” easy. Pulled the plug and nothing with the Garrett so around the plug I went, nothing. Cleared my tools and moved the plug and scanned both plug and hole, nothing. Ok, can happen so put everything back in place and fast scan before I move on. Dime signal……..? Pulled the plug again and since I was mostly in dirt decided full autopsy in order, nothing. I still have no good answer……
Ron, I bet that was a dime sitting on edge just outside your plug. If it's possible go back there and take a couple of plugs just beside the original.