Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This looks promising..... someone did water hunt with the Equinox.....

sgoss66 said:
Yeah, Dewcon, I'm pretty sure that "three stars" simply is a marketing thing, where they are "sliding that machine" in there, into a slot in their lineup. In other words -- it doesn't have "target trace," it only has one number (CO) versus two, and thus, it's "not as good of a discriminator," from a marketing perspective. But, you and I know that that may or may not be the complete story, "in the field." Because, for instance, if machine "A" is gives more accurate/stable ID numbers, and it's tones/audio "communicate" better target info to our ears than machine "B" which has more "bells and whistles," so to speak, which machine is ACTUALLY the "better discriminator?"

With that said, though, I will admit that I do have a hard time in my mind trying to figure out how we aren't "losing something," without the FE information available. I'm open for the machine to "surprise me" in that regard, and "show me" why I don't need both numbers, or the 2-D screen that goes with it, but I am admittedly skeptical. (Skeptical of the idea that we won't miss having 2-D information, NOT skeptical about the machine overall; I really think the Equinox is going to thrill the optimists, and surprise the skeptics)...

Steve

If you have owned both the Terra 705 and an FBS then you will have a bit of bot in the Equinox .

You cannot compare this machine to the ET or CTX or in ways the Terra but it will out perform all those in some ways due to speed .
The Deus has awful tones and 1 set of jumpy numbers but people like it , and it costs more.

sgoss66 said:
With that said, though, I will admit that I do have a hard time in my mind trying to figure out how we aren't "losing something," without the FE information available. I'm open for the machine to "surprise me" in that regard, and "show me" why I don't need both numbers, or the 2-D screen that goes with it, but I am admittedly skeptical. (Skeptical of the idea that we won't miss having 2-D information, NOT skeptical about the machine overall; I really think the Equinox is going to thrill the optimists, and surprise the skeptics)...

Steve

The way I look at the issue, All of my CTX finds all have an FE reading higher (lower number) than 20. Even though my FE line in combined is set at 27, nothing but iron ever registered below. There was never any "grey area" they were either good FE numbers or not. Maybe I just just didn't have anything deep enough to blur that line. But I could have effectively had a single CO readout for everything above that Iron line because the FE number didn't matter (with the exception of crown caps which have a very low FE number which makes them stand out) .

Maybe this machine isn't aimed at the seasoned detectorist such as you guys, but rather is aimed at the weekender middle of the barrel detectorist so to speak. Maybe the Equinox is to the 705 as the CTX was to the eTrack. All and all though, they are struggling with somthing, be it, firmware, or production, but somthing.

Jason in Enid said:
sgoss66 said:

Steve

The way I look at the issue, All of my CTX finds all have an FE reading higher (lower number) than 20. Even though my FE line in combined is set at 27, nothing but iron ever registered below. There was never any "grey area" they were either good FE numbers or not. Maybe I just just didn't have anything deep enough to blur that line. But I could have effectively had a single CO readout for everything above that Iron line because the FE number didn't matter (with the exception of crown caps which have a very low FE number which makes them stand out) .

Jason, I hear you, and have thought the same thing at times. In other words, in a hypothetical ideal world, if the Equinox were to be SO accurate that ALL good targets would fall right at FE 12, then I suppose it could be argued that the "12" becomes somewhat unnecessary. You could, for instance, insert a line of code that says if FE is not equal to 12, then it's a "bad" target, so give the target a conductive ID number <0 (i.e. -9 to -1). Now, that is idealized, of course, but perhaps the machine has ways within the ID circuitry to allow us to deal with the "lack" of an FE number...

Steve

Steve

It wouldn't have to be targets that just fall on the 12 line, it could be all targets that read above the 27 line (or 25, or 20, or whatever line they picked) get shown. ML already said that the EQ is based on separation of the FE and CO aspects of the target along with the removal of the FE portion of the ground response.

We just have to wait and see how well it does. Are you ready for this hard winter freeze coming? News channel weather is showing many inches of snow for my area next week (but we know how they like to exaggerate) IF it does, I've got 3 ricks of wood ready!

Jason --

I haven't looked yet myself, but guys at work have been buzzing about potential cold weather and snow around Christmas...I'd be good with a "white" Christmas, but hope it doesn't stick around TOO long, I've got detectors to learn! ;)

And your post reminds me, I need to cut some more firewood. I'm a little low... :)

Steve