Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This seated half In the ground over 100 years? wow

jdeiana

So maybe I do not know what the hell I am talking about because I am a new guy - But I put my 1858 seated half (that I found a couple weeks ago) in some lemon juice overnight and it came out well. Yes the back looks just as good. But to me, this is as good as a coin can look after being buried all those years. It looks no more worn than the modern change in my pocket. It was halfway under a huge rock which was under a big old tree. Maybe that protected it. But I am proud of this one. And this post is also for anyone considering a relatively safe and effective cleaning method that will not turn your silver coin white or yellow or whatever.

Thanks for the picture update! That is an awesome coin and I'm happy you found it....not quit as happy as if I'D FOUND it, but still glad you rescued it! Keep posting the finds!!

NebTrac

I'd say it could have been buried 150 years, giving 2 years in circulation! :bouncy: Nice coin new guy, I'm jealous! How long did you let it soak? Better yet, do you have a before picture?

Thanks . right prolly 150 - I was being conservative. I let it soak about 22 hours in the lemon juiced mixed with a little bit of distilled water -after, I then cleaned it up with a toothpick which I also soaked in lemon juice - then let is sit in distilled water for a day to make sure all of the acid was off of the coin. Here is before pic.

yes almost - i actually posted this find a couple weeks ago. hope no one minds that i posted it again - i just wanted to show how it came out after the lemon juice bath.

Outstanding Coin !!!

Man, you should be proud !
beautiful old coin.
I too tried the 1/2 lemon juice bath on some old silvers and it works great.
Thanks for showing us.
happy swinging.

T59

Thank you for posting the coin. Very nice.
So, If I put Lemon juice on my coil, do you think I'll find silver like that?
Congrats.
Tin Pan Man

If anyone has an iphone, theres an free app from PCGS called Photograde. I LOVE this app as it allows us to approximately grade our coin finds right there in field as we find them! I know the coin would need to be cleaned up better at home but as a rough estimate on condition, this is great. This app lists all denominations from cents to dollars and shows pics of every possible grade for that coin front and back. I just checked your half against the pics in the app and it looks to me to be between AU55 and AU58 which is unreal! Great find, cherish it and never sell!!

HH Duane

Sweet find!!!! Congrats! I'll tell ya what I use to clean most of my silver, now keep in mind that I do not plan on selling any of my silver so this is why I do it some times. I use regular toothpaste, little bit of water and just rub it out with my fingers. They come out looking very nice! I think that coin of yours might come out a lot cleaner looking, if that's what you want, if you try it.
Great find! HH

N2Treasure, I am going to download that app to my iphone right now! Thanks

A soft rubber (gum) eraser does a nice job cleaning silver too! But I would never clean I coil I wanted to sell or slab. HH Randy

Maybe 4" snugged in next to a large rock on a property line between 2 old new england houses- it is a perfect sitting rock which is probably how it was lost.