Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Threshold problem

My friend gave me a Excal. to look at. The threshold will not remain at the same decibel. Extremely loud one minute dead silent the next, then absolutely perfect, just a slight tone. Any ideas on it's issues ?Other than the threshold the detector works as it should in both pin point and all metal.

I would be checking the battery and connections to see if it is a weak battery or a connection at the pod. If you know you have a good battery from your Excal. that is if you have one I would switch them, if not then check the battery voltage and you may have a bad cell. To me it sure sounds like a battery problem and a easy fix versus sending it in.

Rick

My thoughts exactly. Battery is strong, no problem. Removed the board, no apparent water damage and battery connection soldered properly. :shrug:

Thanks for your input.

Something is making the pitch hold change........ have you taken the male battery connector apart to check for corrosion? I assume you used one of YOUR good batteries to see if that made a difference..... especially if its a 1000 that only has a 700 mah battery? Doing it immediately or after a bit of hunting? In the water or out?

\"Carolina\" said:
My thoughts exactly. Battery is strong, no problem. Removed the board, no apparent water damage and battery connection soldered properly. :shrug:

Thanks for your input.

Possibly the on/off potentimeter, has it been turned past it stop at one point?

You need to stop doing repairs T and get out there and find some gold!! Your a electrician not a excal repair guy..lol

Be Safe my friend and Good Luck!

There are multiple gold header connectors shared between the boards. Check with a microscope these board solder connections. Some are hard to see and get to.
If any look questionable you need a hot small tip iron and some solder flux to help make a good solder job. The flux is not the acid copper pipe soldering kind but special for small electronics. Just take your time and do this with the battery disconnected. Of course could be a pot solder connection or a broken trace. Mine was all whacky and this process fixed it.

I'm at 89 gold so far this year, how bout you? And I try and help others. Thanks for the advice.

Will do. Thanks to all who answered with positive solutions. The guy I'm trying to help is 75 and retired on a minimal fixed income so I do appreciate your response.

Thanks Dew for your response. Yes I have coed everything except bklein's suggestion. Will give that a go tonight. Thanks again for your suggestions!

\"Carolina\" said:
I'm at 89 gold so far this year, how bout you? And I try and help others. Thanks for the advice.

Just another average year here thomas and Hats off to you for your Kindness..

Thank you. I have determined two pots have water damage. Te PP/ Disc. pot as well as the sensitivity pot. Are these or equals out there? Thanks again and I have hopes of breaking 100 for the first time in 7 years.