Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Time for new model?

ryanchappell

Is it just me or is time for Minelab to make a new X-terra to distance the 705 from the ATPro a little more? Imagine a new cheaper, sleeker, lighter, waterproof 705, that blows the ATPro away. It could be like a smaller lighter CTX, but single frequency and one dimensional VDI instead of FE and CO. The control box on the X-terra just seems huge to me, by todays electronic standards, and could be vastly improved upon. Hopefully Fisher and Teknetics will introduce something too, maybe a higher end Eurotek, and force other companies to follow suite and compete more.

It's just you.
The 705 is light years ahead of the ATP and has no reason to distance itself further.

Although I do not have any inside information, I think Minelab would be foolish not to come out with something that is in direct competition with what people looking at the AT Pro are interested in. I completely agree with Old Longhair with the 705 being leaps and bounds above the AT Pro but there are three things sucking people in when considering the AT Pro. Price, being waterproof, and brand recognition from these reality detecting shows. Probably in that order. I also believe that the brand recognition at least on that model has a lot to do with subsidized AT pros ending up in the hands of people that are publicly visible. Nothing wrong with that to build your brand but I sometimes feel like people are suckered in to certain brands or models without knowing the true differences between certain products regardless of if we are talking detecting products or not.

I'm sure the AT Pro is good detector for the money. I see a lot of You Tube videos with people doing very well with them. I do sometimes wonder if some of these people doing the videos paid for their AT Pro. So many of them I hear a guy say "Ok, I'm out here today with my AT Pro". Once you hear someone say the brand of their detector 4 or 5 times in a 15 minute period I start to question if the video is a commercial in disguise or if they got the detector in exchange for the videos. Again, I could be way off but I'm glad we're all allowed to have our own opinion.

I think you both hit the nail right on the head there. :minelab:

Just hope that whatever happens that Minelab keeps the price down and avoids another CTX type price .

I'm sure that in time the X-Terra will get a make over, however, I think that it's still a current detector performance wise.
I happened to speak with a techie at Minelab's Australian head office when the CTX came out, and he had indicated that the very large budget that went into the CTX, didn't allow for R and D to take place on the X-Terra at that time, but given that the CTX has been on the market for some time now, I'm sure that they will be able to budget for an X-Terra make over. I'm actually still very happy using my 70. I've had a lot of different detectors over the last 7 years, but an X-Terra has always been in my line up and is generally my most preferred detector. Love my Explorer as well, but it's not as light as the X-Terra and the X-Terra with a 6in DD coil in all metal, separates targets better than the Explorer is capable of doing.
Mick Evans.

What I would like to see in an improved stock model X-Terra 705, if should come with a waterproof DD coil. Or at least offer the option as some other brands do, standard coil this price or a DD at this price.

I still cant believe that the 705 is supplied with the 7.5khts concentric coil in the USA, here in UK its the 2 DD 7.5khts.

Crikey :D , its the 10.5 inch 2 DD ,

Squirmingcoil77 said:
What's the 2 DD 7.5kHz?
Nuke em said:
If I may.......I believe that the confusion is whether it is a DD or a 2D.
And I agree Nuke. You'd think that the colonies would stick together on something this important. :lol:

Old Longhair said:
Squirmingcoil77 said:
What's the 2 DD 7.5kHz?
Nuke em said:
If I may.......I believe that the confusion is whether it is a DD or a 2D.
And I agree Nuke. You'd think that the colonies would stick together on something this important. :lol:

I meant double D , same thing sort of. Colonies :biggrin: You can all come back to the fold if you wish , come back to Mummy :D

There are better coils out there though but I will get into trouble if I say the name here.

The X-Terra is such a great detector, I see no need for it to be upgraded at this time. There is nothing else on the market like it!

thrick said:
Would love to see a waterproof 705...
Goodbaja said:
Needs to be waterproof.
It will never happen.
Manufacturers don't tend to take an existing product and waterproof it. They generally need to be designed that way from the start to avoid compatibility issues that would arise when cheapskate users try to use non-waterproof components with their waterproof machines.

Besides, do you think it would be any less expensive than any other feature comparable water machine?

Anyone that thinks that Minelab needs to compete with Garrett needs a reality check.

If ML does not NEED to compete then why do they keep doing research to come up with a better MDer???? and yes ML does need to compete or otherwise they would go out of business.

Being driven to improve does not always involve competition. What is a CTX competing with?
And how is it that Garrett is some sort of a benchmark?

If I had little money to spend, I might buy an ATP.
Reality is that I have little to spend, and have a 705 and a 1280X that both out perform the ATP in their respective arenas, and my purchase price for both was no more than an ATP sells for.

Would like to see a New "Pro Pack". 705 with the 11" Pro coil like on the FBS machines.............MO

morelic55 said:
Would like to see a New "Pro Pack". 705 with the 11" Pro coil like on the FBS machines.............MO

Ooooooh yes , that would be good . And better stem and better water resistance. Though not a CTX type stem , keep it cheaper.