Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Time travelling with the Barber Brothers in their Studebaker

cz70pro

I just had to get out for a bit last Saturday evening so I headed out to the Courthouse for a quick 2 hour hunt. Just one of those times when you don't care if you find anything, you just want to get out and meld with your E-Trac. Enroute to the site, I decided to leave the stock coil on, dig every single conductive target and see if I could get some deeper targets. I spent several of my past hunts there using the X-5 trying to separate the unbelievable number of targets in the ground. There was one corner of the property that had recently produced two very nice Indian Heads for me so I thought I would focus my search there. This particular corner of the lawn was where the "Hanging Tree" stood. Back in the day they had public hangings which drew huge crowds there to witness them.

Running my machine in open screen with a 24 ferrous line and manual sensitivity set at 24, I slowed my sweep to a virtual crawl and began digging targets. About halfway down the first row. I had already recovered three wheats, a White's Sewing Machines advertising thimble, a printer's block, a baby ring and quite a few clads when I got a very iffy but promising signal. It was bouncing back and forth from iron to a 12-44 signal. I dug down and cleared two small iron tacks from the hole. Stuck the pin pointer in the hole again and got a nice signal under a root at the 7 inch mark. After quite a bit of digging under the root, I saw the edge of a very thin and worn 1907 Barber dime. This was the very first Barber I had found there and I was elated. I turned back around and began to go down my second row. The evenings have begun to get shorter now and it was 7:30 and getting a bit dark when I got another marginal signal that was reading 8 inches deep. Again, it was going back and forth between iron and 12-43 and 12-44. This time it was mostly iron signals that were showing up on my backlit screen but every once in a while a good number would hit. I decided I had nothing to lose and dug down. I hit numerous targets in the hole with the pin pointer and after a bit of clearing the iron nails and bits out, got a nice hit. Of course, it was under another root. After more digging and cleaning the dirt out, I soon realized I finally had it out of the hole. Scooped a handful of dirt up and opened my hand. Another Barber dime! This one just as worn and dated 1902. It's been a long time since I have found two Barbers in one day so I was a happy hunter.

Thrilled with how this quick hunt was going, I continued down the row and got a 12-22 signal at 4 inches down just as the light was waning. After digging a quick plug, I saw an old key in the hole. Really didn't think much of it as it said YALE on one side and had some other logo on the other side. Pretty much a run of the mill key, I thought, and stuck it in my pouch and called it a day. It was only when I got home and cleaned it off did I realize it wasn't your typical Yale key. On the other side of the key, I saw that it had an old style wood spoke wheel and tire with a banner across it that read Studebaker! Very cool. Being a car guy, I think I almost liked that find better than the Barbers.

All in all, a great time and a great hunt. I had to wonder who had lost these items. Did they lose the dimes while watching a hanging way back then and did someone have to hitch a ride back home afterwards as a result of losing the key to their Studebaker? We'll never know but it's always fun to wonder about the history of the finds we make. HH.

Cool find on the Studebaker key.
it pays off digging those signals in the 20s.

Barber always makes a person's day. hopefully there is still a big silver hiding somewhere there.

floodplaindetector said:
Cool find on the Studebaker key.
it pays off digging those signals in the 20s.

Barber always makes a person's day. hopefully there is still a big silver hiding somewhere there.

Thanks FPD. I'm hoping there is one too. I found a Franklin half there a couple of months ago. Hoping there is a Barber or Walker waiting for me.

Dude you nailed it great finds!

D.V.

Excellent !

That's awesome CZ! When you go back,as an experiment...go down that "first row" with the machine in Auto plus 3. The reason? When you run Manual,the machine is very sensitive to EVERY tiny little piece of everything metallic,as you apparently found! A Barber dime is VERY detectable compared to a tiny iron bit at the same depth. Very often,Manual can OBSCURE good targets,especially in a situation where there is a lot of tiny junk. Use the exact same settings but run Auto plus 3 if you have the time and just see what happens in that first row you've been over already.
You have a good site,that deserves a lot more attention!

Love reading your story. You are a great story teller. Really nice finds.
Kind of macabre that so many people back then went to see a hanging. They even brought their kids. It was quite the event.
Personally, I could never see a man or woman flailing their legs back and forth as they hung by the rope.

Really nice finds!

IDXMonster said:
That's awesome CZ! When you go back,as an experiment...go down that "first row" with the machine in Auto plus 3. The reason? When you run Manual,the machine is very sensitive to EVERY tiny little piece of everything metallic,as you apparently found! A Barber dime is VERY detectable compared to a tiny iron bit at the same depth. Very often,Manual can OBSCURE good targets,especially in a situation where there is a lot of tiny junk. Use the exact same settings but run Auto plus 3 if you have the time and just see what happens in that first row you've been over already.

Nice tip IDXMonster! We can all learn from each other. :beers:

IDXMonster said:

Be glad to try it. I am not averse to finding more Barbers. lol What I usually do is set the manual sensitivity about one number above what Auto +3 is allowing me to run. I'll do that row again just using Auto+3 and see what happens. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I can get back on the grounds.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
Love reading your story. You are a great story teller. Really nice finds.
Kind of macabre that so many people back then went to see a hanging. They even brought their kids. It was quite the event.
Personally, I could never see a man or woman flailing their legs back and forth as they hung by the rope.

Really nice finds!

Thanks Tony. I appreciate the kind words. Not my cup of tea either but they were different times and perspectives back then. In today's light it certainly does seem ghoulish and macabre but I have read accounts and stories of some parents bringing their kids to show them there were consequences to violating the law. I am sure there were some present with less noble reasons. Of course, if the person had been guilty of a hanging offense against a loved one of mine, I would be there to watch him swing.

Sooper Dave said:
Awesome hunt! Double Barbers is a thrill for sure! The key is really cool. Keep it up!

Thanks much Dave. Loved finding the Barbers but a key for an orphan car really made my day.

Great story CZ, Thanks for taking the time to pen that out. Gets me thinking about a couple areas that I frequent.

Rich -

Rich (Utah) said:
Great story CZ, Thanks for taking the time to pen that out. Gets me thinking about a couple areas that I frequent.

Rich -

Thanks a lot Rich. Thanks for letting me know you liked it. Appreciate it. Let us know if the areas pan out. HH.

Greg

IDXMonster said:

Had a chance to hit those rows again running Auto +3. I did find two deep items that were about 9 inches in the ground. One was an early Model T valve stem cap and the other was an iron harness ring.