Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tips for a first timer detecting a beach

Sky1

We are going to the salt water beach tomorrow to detect.
I have my first detector the Minelab Safari, a ss beach scoop and a pair of noise cancelling full ear headphones.

Any last minute tips for a beginner?

Dont get frustrated , It take time to learn the beach and how your machine also you want to hit the beach as the tide is going out

As a beginner with a new detector, do not be afraid of the sounds. Take your time.

Listen to the repeating tones, not so much on screen. The less you look at the screen now, the better you will be later.

Practice good coil swings, take your time and relax.........the finds will come.

Don't let any water hit that unit - even in ankle deep low tide you can get the unexpected wave which will smack you bad - don't turn your back to the surf at all.

Use all metal. Dig everthing. Dispose of the junk. Fill your holes especially in the dry sand.
Good luck in finding the gold .!!!

Thanks guys, I will TRY not to look at the screen but I will use it at least for depth reference.
I am should be there starting a few hours before low tide (nearly a full moon)

I'll try and keep a positive attitude. Going to only dig low tones unless I get board and decide to go for some coins.

Just out of curriosity, what kind of Junk to keeper dig ratio so I expect?

We're going to Wrightsville Beach, NC.

Here is my old video clip from when we went there a few years ago

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVqsqksSoNg[/video]

God, I love the beach!!!

Tip No 1....Have a Great time!
My Hunt a month ago I came home with about 6 dollars in change. MyA week later I Got 3 silvers, A ring and 2 coins, So the beach is changing everyday...Anything can happen..........Good Luck, Joe/OBN

I asked a similar question some time ago and Tony said "make sure you have plenty of water along"Make sure you have water along".
I have recently detected in some heat and I appreciated what he had to say. Gerry

watch were you put your detector becouse if a wave comes in and you just set it down to dig a target
it will be fried

For this tip;...the calmer the ocean, the better.

The level of the ocean, other than waves and surf, is at the same level. Tide comes in, tide goes out;...water level stays the same.(relatively)

If the beach is level up and down the beach;...where the water hits the beach(waterline) the waterline should be a straight line looking in either direction (up or down the beach). On the other hand, if the waterline on one or more parts of the beach extends a finger farther up on the beach, that's probably a depressed area in the sand. You can usually see them a long way off.

Check out those depressed areas. They may not last long and might be an opportunity missed.

Ron

We had a great time at the beach. I let my wife try the detector and shew wouldn't give it back!!
Now she wants one. :)
Thanks guys for all your help, we had a blast.
I didn't find any rings or even that many coins, what we did find were pretty deep 8-10" down in wet sand and very corroded.

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and am also going to the beach detecting over christmas break and recently got a safari. I had to actually send the unit back to minelab due to it falsing every time I touched it to the ground or swung it. Has anyone else had these problems? This is my first minelab detector. Also, what do you recomend, wet or dry sand?

I enjoyed your Video, I was hoping to see pictures of people that went to the Beach in their 1920's swimwear.

If you go back toward Carolina or Wrightville Beach, take alot of Quarter's, I hate the parking meter's and meter bandits.Good Luck-goldnuggget-Charlotte,N.C.

take your time and dig dig dig:detecting::thumbup:
learn your machine and practice as much as you can, just be happy with what you found not what you didnt find..:thumbup: