Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tips & Tricks * for anyone who wants to contribute*

JohnTN

Things that will cost you great finds -vs- things that will make you great finds.

I bought my E-trac in October of 2008 and feel like I am pretty close to knowing how to get the most out of it.
I know there are others here that have had a lot of time with this detector as well. So what do you say we all pitch in and see
if we can improve one anothers game and help out the greenhorns. Please contribute if you can.

With at least 1500 hours of using my Etrac on different sites in different areas of the US and Canada and endless hours of
testing in my coin garden and I have learned:

1. Sloppy coil technique will miss many great finds. Keep the coil low and progress only 1/2 coil width per swing.
Do not swing a half moon shape with the coil, keep the center solid line of the coil perpendicular with your body throughout your swing.

2. The Etrac is very sensitive to correct swing speed. Too fast=Bad or To slow=Bad. Ground conditions ie. mineral content
and iron content directly affect acceptable swing speed. Practice your target approach in your test garden and you'll get a feel for the proper speed. I find that in most ground conditions a 2 second swing responds better to deep targets than a 3 or 4 second swing -unless- you have excessive iron content in the soil then you'll want to slow down a bit but not too much. Too slow will not respond as deep in my testing. Too fast may not respond at all to a lot of targets
To much discrimination will slow your swing speed down as will too many filters running - difficult, high trash etc.

3. Listen for short chirps then go back and try to isolate the exact location and see if the tone will pick up solid "use the old minelab wiggle". If the target comes in solid then approach the target from different angles and pay attention to the audio more than the visual ID. If the signal changes tones from different angles it means one of three things A. it's trash B. it's not a round target C. it's round but near another target with a different conductivity reading. Note: round targets will usually vary in tone very little as you circle the target swinging over it.

4. To much discrimination will mask good targets near trash. Try to black out as little of the screen as you can, this will give you your best shot at un-masking a target near trash. Let your ears be your discrimination.

5. High manual sensitivity will excite the signal of a deep target more than auto sensitivity in the right environments. There are some cases where high manual sensitivity will really make a deep target lock on and give a good diggable signal as opposed to auto sensitivity giving on the a sort of weak "umph" sound. High manual sensitivity can be counter productive if you are in an area of possible EMI (audible or not) it will affect the performance of your Etrac. If EMI is likely in the area you are detecting stick with auto sens. If there is a lot of iron or high mineral content in the ground, high manual sensitivity will either make the iron sound better, cause audio masking or simply not penetrate the ground as well as auto sens. I read where someone quoted that too much sensitivity in the wrong ground conditions is like a cars headlights reflecting off water and I believe there is a lot of truth to that statement.

6. The Etrac will signal on targets through the null. I have hundreds of silver coins to prove it. Maintain proper coil speed and technique and it will prove it to you as well.

7. Don't be afraid to dig a few iffy signals when they are deep. I'd rather dig a deep nail than take the chance of missing a nice seated dime. I am rewarded 20%-30% of the time. I've counted

8. If you don't have a test garden make one. Believe me you can learn more in 2 hours there than 20 hours in the field.

9. Get a variety of coils the more you can change your attack on any one site the more nice finds you'll have in your pouch, also make note of the weather and soil conditions each time you hunt a site. I'll try to switch it up and hunt areas I've already pounded in different weather conditions. Sunny, overcast, dry soil, moist soil, soppy wet soil. Each time I am rewarded and amazed at how great targets will suddenly appear when I was certain I'd cleaned a spot out.

10. The most important thing I have learned about the Etrac. " Positive Attitude " I've watched if I'm feeling crappy or not really into it when I'm detecting I'll leave feeling worse than when I started. I think when I'm not focused sharply on what I'm doing all the above goes right out the window along with my chance of making good finds. I've learned to be excited before each dig and really feel like it has the possibility of being something great and my good finds rate goes up significantly.

OK now I've told you guys everything I can think of. It's your turn to spill your brains.

John

Wow great advice John....you've cut my learning curve in half... 'preciate it! I am on hour number 5 with just one wheatie for my efforts :(

NIce report. I agree with all your ooints. Been detecting off and on for over thirty years, but only have five months on the E-Trac, so I don't have anything to add at this point, except to say it's the best coin machine I've ever used.

keep on diggin'

jimmyk in Missouri

That was some awesome info, I just got the etrac a few weeks ago, and only used it twice so far, but the advise will be very helpful, thank you

Thanks John. You answered a lot of questions for me. "1,500 hrs", wow! That's a lot of swinging!!

NebTrac

Hi John - Thank you very much for taking the time to post some of your best tips !!!

You can learn a lot from reading owner's manual's and books - but I believe there's no better way to learn - than just spending time in the field with your machine.
I have 175 to 200 hrs. on my E-Trac - your tips will be a big help.
I'm looking forward to reading the follow up posts from other experienced ET user's !

Good luck to everyone this season ! --- Mark

Let me add one from over on the Explorer part of the forum. It's OK! They are brothers and sisters.

Read the parts about 'ghost holes' that's currently running over there. I learned, I think, that the Pro Coil will detect and report a 'ghost hole' as a target one should dig. You dig and it's a rusty nail or nothing is there. However, in some others experience, the SEF coil WILL NOT report the 'ghost hole' as a digger.

I just find myself chasing a lot of deep iron hoping for the 30% silver that JohnTN finds. I'll revisit some of his tips and see if some silver doesn't show.

I live in Washington State and as states go, it's not an oldie like back East. I think there is just less silver here to find because people have been losing stuff for only a 75-100 years instead of 150-200 years. Any thoughts on that? Jim

...a better understanding and be more successful in the field if they applied all your tips also.

I think your second point is a very critical one, especially on the real deep targets or partially masked targets in iron. A lot of Minelab hunters don't learn that one until they have many hours in the field or have a more seasoned hunter show them.

Thanks for sharing!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

I have been following the ghost hole threads and find them interesting.However with my E-trac it has been a non-issue as the pro coil has been exceptional for me.I think part of the problem is that the pro coil is a bit more sensitive and has caused a lot of people to dig more iron falses because of running their sensitivity to high.They crank the sensitivity to the point of being unstable trying to get that last 1/10" of depth and shoot their self in the foot so to speak because they are loosing some of the great separation abilities of this fine coil.A lot of people read a few posts about digging deep silver from the tiniest of high peeps and then go out and start digging all the squeaky little iffy signals(many being iron falses at high sens.) hoping for silver instead of learning what the machine is telling them.Their is a lot more to the E-Tracs great capabilities than just digging 10" plus deepies.I have found hundreds of nice older coins with mine that were in the 5"-8" depth range but were on edge or in the middle of extreme trash.I think way to many people get hung up on extreme depth and miss out on a lot of good finds.As a matter of fact there are many sites that have very few coins over 9" unless fill has been spread over them.I have one great site that is very rocky and has high iron mineral content in the soil and have found many seated,barber and Indians at 6" or less .Many were still there because they were masked by tons of cut nails but the E-Trac and pro coil sniffed them out in auto +3 .
I do like the 10x12 sef except for the weight factor but so far have not seen any improvements over the pro coil in my sites here in south west MO.I have noticed I can run the sensitivity higher on the 10x12 but feel that is because it is a little less sensitive than the pro coil and have not see any depth increases with it overall yet but still testing it.
The 10x12 is only 9-3/4" wide and the pro is 11" so that alone should help the sef separate a bit better than the pro coil.
Will be doing more testing in the field today and see what more I can learn ,Ray.
PS These thoughts are from my personal experiences and your results could very well differ depending on a vast number of variables.:thumbup:

Dig a small hole, put in target, pound in the dirt 1 inch at a time, water. I have old silver, indians, cw bullets and scrap in mine and it pays off. Everyone needs a silver coin with a nail buried at 6 inches:super:

Ray-Mo. said:
I have been following the ghost hole threads and find them interesting.However with my E-trac it has been a non-issue as the pro coil has been exceptional for me.I think part of the problem is that the pro coil is a bit more sensitive and has caused a lot of people to dig more iron falses because of running their sensitivity to high.They crank the sensitivity to the point of being unstable trying to get that last 1/10" of depth and shoot their self in the foot so to speak because they are loosing some of the great separation abilities of this fine coil.A lot of people read a few posts about digging deep silver from the tiniest of high peeps and then go out and start digging all the squeaky little iffy signals(many being iron falses at high sens.) hoping for silver instead of learning what the machine is telling them.Their is a lot more to the E-Tracs great capabilities than just digging 10" plus deepies.I have found hundreds of nice older coins with mine that were in the 5"-8" depth range but were on edge or in the middle of extreme trash.I think way to many people get hung up on extreme depth and miss out on a lot of good finds.As a matter of fact there are many sites that have very few coins over 9" unless fill has been spread over them.I have one great site that is very rocky and has high iron mineral content in the soil and have found many seated,barber and Indians at 6" or less .Many were still there because they were masked by tons of cut nails but the E-Trac and pro coil sniffed them out in auto +3 .
I do like the 10x12 sef except for the weight factor but so far have not seen any improvements over the pro coil in my sites here in south west MO.I have noticed I can run the sensitivity higher on the 10x12 but feel that is because it is a little less sensitive than the pro coil and have not see any depth increases with it overall yet but still testing it.
The 10x12 is only 9-3/4" wide and the pro is 11" so that alone should help the sef separate a bit better than the pro coil.
Will be doing more testing in the field today and see what more I can learn ,Ray.
PS These thoughts are from my personal experiences and your results could very well differ depending on a vast number of variables.:thumbup:

Amen brother!! :please:

Here's a few tips,

If you have trouble seeing your screen in daylight, adjust the contrast to somewhere right around mid-range, makes a world of difference. I initially thought that setting CONTRAST to MAX would do the trick, but no, it's worse.

For deep coins, try RECOVER DEEP = OFF, especially if you are running your gain high to begin with. The extra processing required in DEEP = ON makes the machine a little more sluggish (thanks Captn SE for this tip). With DEEP OFF, the deep signals sound fuller, less chopped and the machine responds quicker.

Shorten the shaft as much as you can stand it, to the point where you feel like you're about to kick your coil while moving. Get your shoulder up and over the coil. This will force you to cover ground slowly and helps keep the coil surface to the ground. It's also ergonomically easier after several hours of swinging, compared with swinging the coil way out in front of you ("walking the dog"). Think of it like "choking up" on a baseball bat.

Make a habit of using NOISE CANCEL every time you start hunting a new site.

Try the 10x12 SEF coil.

If you live in a condo and don't have a yard, bury a few coins at a local spot for your own 'public test garden'. Bury at least two of them 8 inches or deeper.

If you are betting an exacta at Santa Anita racetrack, include ANY horse that Joel Rosario is riding. Oh, wrong forum. HH - Jim

if I may add also,I have found that by using pinpoint sizing helps me out alot.I can tell almost right away if its a coin or a larger object just by using the pin-point sizing.hope this helps.

Thanks guys I hope this helps. There's a lot of great post in this thread. I have gotta try the SEF 10 x 12 I've heard a lot of good stuff about it. I had the 12 x 15 and wasn't crazy about it though.

This is a great thread. I am still very much a newbie but these tips help me out a lot. Thanks for all the great info

If you can afford a sunray probe, get one. Use the pinpoint function on the probe for the best results

Do a search on here For Andys coin pattern. Learn to use he quick mask for iffy targets.

If you are in a trashy area, don't be afraid to turn down the sensitivity. Just the other day i dug a nickel at 7" with auto -3, I also recovered 4-6 additional targets that i had missed before while using auto at +2, +3.

Ray do I have it wrong or is the 10X12 ten WIDE and Twelve Long...with the length being the axis on which the Double D hot spot is? That in fact would make the coverage per swing one inch wider than the Pro Coil. The center of the Double D is 12" long and covers the ground from right to left as you swing making a 12" 'painting' of the search area. It really isn't that big a difference either way but was just curious about the function of the Double D and it's shape and my knowledge or absence of knowledge about how that works. Jim