Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Took the Equinox 900 for a walk in the park the other day...

JimmyCT

I started with the Coiltek 10x5" coil and EMI was so horrible I had to turn the sensitivity to 15. Even though it was at a low level of sensitivity, the coiltek still hit the silver ring at 7"!! After about half of my hunt was over, (I hunted for 5 hours) I went back to my car and installed the stock 11" coil on the 900. I arrived back at the area where I was hunting and the detector ran as quiet as a church mouse with sensitivity at 25.(max sensitivity: 28 ) Both are great coils! For pure raw depth, the award goes to the stock 11" coil. The slicing and dicing award in heavy trash / iron goes to the Coiltek 10x5". As far as depth comparison, the Coiltek is darn close to the stock 11". Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    893.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2749.JPG
    IMG_2749.JPG
    811.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2753.jpg
    IMG_2753.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2756.jpg
    IMG_2756.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 83
Congrats on a awesome hunt. That's a swell day of digging. What little bit I've used my 900, the Coiltek 10"x5" lives on mine. I get at 18 on sens. in my park. With the ground damp/moist the coiltek 10x5 easily sees a 8" quarter.
Now that I have been using mine, I can back you up on that claim! It's a powerful coil even at much lower sensitivity settings. I feel this is the hidden "feature" if you will, of using this coil. Not much sensitivity is needed to obtain great depth!

Now that I have been using mine, I can back you up on that claim! It's a powerful coil even at much lower sensitivity settings. I feel this is the hidden "feature" if you will, of using this coil. Not much sensitivity is needed to obtain great depth!
Yes I was doubting the 10x5 coil at 1st because of the lower sens. But started using it more & found it dont need much sens. to be deep.

Is it emi prone at higher sen. settings? Thanks, HH jim tn
Jim, it’s emi prone as much as using the equinox 800 with the stock coil in this area. Last year I had to reduce sensitivity (on the 800) to 12-15. I packed up and left.
Yet on the North end of this same park, I can run sensitivity at 26 on the 900 and the coiltek runs nice and quiet. As I mentioned previously in this post, even at lower sensitivity levels, this coiltek still obtains great depth.

I started with the Coiltek 10x5" coil and EMI was so horrible I had to turn the sensitivity to 15. Even though it was at a low level of sensitivity, the coiltek still hit the silver ring at 7"!! After about half of my hunt was over, (I hunted for 5 hours) I went back to my car and installed the stock 11" coil on the 900. I arrived back at the area where I was hunting and the detector ran as quiet as a church mouse with sensitivity at 25.(max sensitivity: 28 ) Both are great coils! For pure raw depth, the award goes to the stock 11" coil. The slicing and dicing award in heavy trash / iron goes to the Coiltek 10x5". As far as depth comparison, the Coiltek is darn close to the stock 11". Thanks for looking!
Jimmy congrats on the pair of Mercs, ring and old nickels. Sounds like that park still has alot to offer. Good luck on your return. So you would think the larger coil would be more susceptible to EMI than the smaller 10x5. Huh ? I have read several other posts saying what your findings show. I used the 10x5 on the 800 for 40 maybe 50 hunts. I never really had an issue with EMI but a buddy I lent it to gave it back after a couple hunts saying it was too chatty. If your in Park 1 and its chatty try switching to Field 2. It can be an eye opener. With the small coil on it works pretty good. Mark

As I mentioned previously in this post, even at lower sensitivity levels, this coiltek still obtains great depth.
Yeah, I saw that. I seldom am unable to run the 900 with 11" coil at sen. 26. Higher, targets to my old ears seem a bit "smeared," if that's the correct definition, and seemingly may off set any additional depth I might get, if any. My over all biggest concern, and has been for a while, is that dang nab silent emi. Nice report...and good job on the older coins and ring. Go get em! HH jim tn

Jimmy congrats on the pair of Mercs, ring and old nickels. Sounds like that park still has alot to offer. Good luck on your return. So you would think the larger coil would be more susceptible to EMI than the smaller 10x5. Huh ? I have read several other posts saying what your findings show. I used the 10x5 on the 800 for 40 maybe 50 hunts. I never really had an issue with EMI but a buddy I lent it to gave it back after a couple hunts saying it was too chatty. If your in Park 1 and its chatty try switching to Field 2. It can be an eye opener. With the small coil on it works pretty good. Mark
Thanks Mark! We would think "the larger the coil, the more susceptibility to EMI" but not with the Coiltek. I feel Coiltek super tuned this coil to extreme preciseness and sensitivity. Meaning, "less sensitivity can be employed to achieve the results" I know we all want to go "balls to the wall" with sensitivity but this may not be necessary utilizing coiltek coils. I am still learning with the Coiltek and want to engage in hunting with as much sensitivity as conditions will allow. However this encountered EMI situation opened my eyes to the fact Coiltek achieved great depth with very little sensitivity. I remembered that if there were EMI issues running Park1 on the 800, I could switch over to Field2 and EMI would be minimized. However on the 900, I find this is not to be the case. I cycled through the different modes and were all "chatty". Field2 was just as bad as Park1 that I was using. More time will tell, but I am glad this situation happened.

Yeah, I saw that. I seldom am unable to run the 900 with 11" coil at sen. 26. Higher, targets to my old ears seem a bit "smeared," if that's the correct definition, and seemingly may off set any additional depth I might get, if any. My over all biggest concern, and has been for a while, is that dang nab silent emi. Nice report...and good job on the older coins and ring. Go get em! HH jim tn
Thanks Jim!
Silent EMI is the biggest killer of performance. I can say with great confidence we have all had hunts where we bombed out and didn't have a very successful hunt. Only to return to the same hunting spot on a different day and time and make great finds! Was it Silent EMI or did we fail to get over the big handful of old coins?
While I am hunting, I periodically perform a noise cancel to hopefully eliminate / minimize any silent EMI.

Higher, targets to my old ears seem a bit "smeared,"

I believe you are experiencing high pitch hearing loss and that is why it seems "smeared" instead of clear and distinct. You sir are not alone, I experience this very issue as well. We don't have the luxury of the "clarity" of higher frequencies. Keep pounding the dirt Mr. Jim, there are still treasures to be found!

Congrats on the silver finds! My experience has also been that the coiltek runs "hotter" than the stock coils. Like you, I've had good results at lower sensitivity with the 10x5.