Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Train cars tagged with graffiti...........

Kelley (Texas)

These pictures were taken a few days ago at the train yard at Kirby, Texas. I produced these pictures using a vintage Sigma 35-70mm F2.8 zoom lens. This old lens is a "push/pull" type zoom lens, probably made in the 1970's. I am happy with the pictures produced with it...sharp and colorful, very little editing required. I consider this lens to be a keeper.

I am amazed at just how many train cars are covered with graffiti and I often wonder how many folks consider graffiti to be a form of Art. How do folks find the time to tag a train car with graffiti? Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 325471 016edited1-9-16sigma35-70mmf2.8lens.jpg]

[attachment 325472 051edited1-9-16sigma35-70mmf2.8lens.jpg]

[attachment 325473 017edited1-9-16sigma35-70mmf2.8lens.jpg]

[attachment 325474 037edited1-9-16sigma35-70mmf2.8lens.jpg]

[attachment 325475 032edited1-9-16sigma35-70mmf2.8lens.jpg]

I am sure the "artists" know they are trespassing and could be jailed... But doesn't appear the circumstances bother them.

U can usually tell if the grafitti is by gangs, or by someone trying to b an artist..... Doesn't appear from what I see that any on those cars are tagged by gangs, but instead 'artists' using their tag names. Some of the grafitti I have seen on cars are quite nice, other then the fact they r illegal.

I'm with Roscue2 about thinking these are done by "artists" and not gang related. Makes one wonder how they do complete a drawing/name on there. Days? Hours?

Kelly, The photos are awesome! You've always taken really nice pictures. These look as though you're staring right at them outside in the environment.

Thanks for posting and take care, Nancy

I did find out that they use different size nozzles on the spray paint cans. I think that these could be considered a modern form of art rather than just trash painting, just mu personal opinion.

Nancy, thanks for the kind words. Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Very nice pictures Kelly . You know I was thinking of asking you how long it took you to paint all those cars like that , but I can see you're not taking credit for it . You're right it took someone a lot of patience and time to do that . Good pictures anyway thanks for sharing them with us .

@Kelley (Texas),some very interesting pictures,we get similar graffiti on our trains,mainly London underground carriages more than anything.

Out of curiosity,any specific reason why you use oldish lens from the 70s/80s on a modern camera ??? is it mainly because you still have them when you done 35mm and did not want to waste the lens,or are they better quality than more modern lens ??

The reason i ask is i am interested in getting within the next week or so a New Nikon but still have a couple of nearlt brand new lens from the early to mid 80s,still in the boxes up in the loft,so prehaps i will try and dig them out tomorrow and see if i can get a adaptor from Ebay to see if i can use the old lens on the new Nikon.Not sure if its a wise move but adaptors as far as i can see are pretty cheap and may give 2 of my old lens a go and see what results i can produce with them.

First of all, I enjoy using them while participating in the photography hobby on a budget. I can buy a vintage lens at a fraction of the cost of a new, modern lens...the vintage lens will average around $50 dollars compared to a modern lens costing approximately $1,000 dollars or there abouts. With research, you can buy a vintage lens at a bargain price that will produce a picture equal to many modern lenses. Bottom line, I just enjoy using old vintage lenses.

Note, I just own one modern Auto Focus lens, the one that came with my Sony NEX-6 camera that I bought used on eBay. Funny, but I have never used that lens, it sits on a self in the closet.

Please be reminded that these old vintage lenses are all manual operated. Using them is fun and you will learn aspects of photography much faster as a general rule than using modern Auto Focus lenses. It is all about having fun. Kelley (Texas) :)

@Kelley (Texas),many thanks for your quick reply,that just confirms that i am going down the right road as they say.

I have just dug out one of my old lens which is basically brand new prior to giving up 35mm many years ago,the old lens that i have chose to use is a Sigma 39-80mm f/3.5 which was only used once prior to being placed back in its box in a cupboard,the camera that i am looking at getting tomorrow is a Nikon D3300 or D3200 which is a slightly older model,both brand new but come with the option of a standard 55mm lens or just the body only and using my Sigma lens,the saving on the standard lens will be used for a larger say 300mm lens.

When you mentioned that you have only used your standard lens say once then that gives me the idea of going down the body only route rather and use my Sigma lens which if i recall was a superb replacement for my original lens on my 35mm camera,only thing i have to also buy is the converter so the lens can be mounted on the Nikon.

Of course if it does not work out,then i can get one that will work,but i cannot see any problems on bring together basically a as new Sigma M42 lens and using it on the Nikon,yes i am aware that i will loose all the auto features of the len/s but as you have also mentioned it will stimulate my brain to get the maximum potential out of the outfit,and of course that all important enjoyment factor,in my mind that is a very important fact in any hobby/pastime/interest call it what you like.

Once again thanks again for your last post,it was very helpful.

I have a Sigma 35-70mm F2.8 lens that I use to produce some good pictures. It is one of my favorite lenses and I use it quite often.

What ever camera you buy, please see if it has a mode that will assist you in getting a good focus. As we get older, we have trouble focusing a camera, which is one reason Auto Focus is so popular. My Sony NEX-6 camera has what is known as "Peak Focusing" that helps me focus the camera. When using this mode, you get a red, yellow, or white outline in the picture when in correct focus. Without this focusing aid, it will be more difficult to getting correct focusing. I have learned how to correctly focus without the aid of the "Peak Focus" mode, but it took lots of practice at first.

Below is a picture taken with my Sigma 35-70mm F2.8 lens, which should be equal to the results you should get with your Sigma lens. Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 325647 011edited1-9-16sigma35-70mmf2.8lens.jpg]

@ Kelley (Texas),once again many thanks,will be ordering just the Nikon body only tomorrow,i think i have another brand new Sigma lens still in its box,not sure the exact location yet but will dig that one out as well.

But for the moment the Nikon/Sigma lens combination will get me back into the modern era of Digital Photograph.

Just a general question do you think that older lens like say the Sigma that you use are of a higher build and optical quality that modern lens ??? i am not about all the auto features that modern lens have but more of the quality of the actual lens themselves.

Thanks again

is a difficult question to answer...one that I may not be qualified to answer as per se. I think that the older, vintage lenses are well built with their all metal construction...simple design. Optic design will often equal many of the modern lenses in my personal opinion, with the vintage lens producing a great picture equal to one produced by a modern lens. It is safe to say that I have been satisfied with the pictures produced while using old vintage lenses, and have had lots of fun. Kelley (Texas) :)

I tried looking, but I think you will loose metering,, as far as manual focus, my Nikon D 200 has a green dot and a ring
around it when your in focus..
If you got the standard 18 to 55 lens, they say that's a good one,, Nikon also has a 55 to 300 lens that I hear is good.
I will pm you a link to a good review on your D 3300..
Bj