Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two hunts: Four silver day and a seven token day

I finally found my camera so I could post these. I just moved to Utah so I can go to dental school this fall. School doesn't start for three more weeks so I have lots of time for detecting. Last week I got out several times and have gone house hunting more since I haven't had much success at the local parks. It's been fun so far. I've found silver on every hunt except for one hour-long hunt at a park. The first day I went to two houses. The first only produced a couple of wheats and the Smokey the Bear token. When I dug it up I saw its big reeded edge and thought it was a half. No such luck. I also found the small Utah tax token. I got permission at a second house and found the rest there. One hole had five wheats, including the rusty steel penny. That's a first for me. The quarter is a '46-D and the dimes are '41-D, '47-D, and '57-D.

[attachment 205428 small.jpg]

The second hunt was at the house next door to the productive house from two days before. The first target I dug was one of the amusement tokens. After that they were almost jumping out of the ground at me. Almost every pass in the 15'x25' front yard yielded a token. The five holed tokens are all amusement tokens. Only two say exactly the same thing. Some of them say "Property of OK Vender". The 5c token and the 4th Ward Grocery token were in the same hole. The '53-D dime was just icing on the cake. I have no idea who would have produced the 5c token. It says the same thing on each side. Any ideas on where it may have came from? I looked the 4th Ward Grocery token up in the online catalog and it wasn't even listed for that denomination.

Any ideas on how to clean the tokens without damaging them? I don't want to ruin the nice one. Thanks for reading.

[attachment 205429 small2.jpg] [attachment 205431 face.jpg] [attachment 205432 back.jpg]

Congrats Jason, beautiful finds As far as cleaning the tokens, I use baking soda in the palm of my hand with water and a soft bristle tooth brush. It takes a lttle scrubbing but they turn out awesome.

Moose

Congratulations on the finds Jason! Thanks for the pictures.

NebTrac

Killer hunt - good job ! :clapping:

Congratulations on some good finds. Love the silver and tokens. Thanks for the great pictures. -- Randy

Jason,

Great finds. Nice token as well.

Like I said, you're on the right track.

Rich (Utah)

Awesome finds! I love finding tokens too. I feel lucky when I find 1 token every now and then but wow, you took home 7! Congrats on the finds and thanks for sharing. HH -Marc

Thanks. It took me two years of applying before I got in. I'm really excited to start, although detecting every day for the past couple of weeks had been fun. :)

UPDATE ON THE 4th WARD GROCERY TOKEN: I took it to a token club meeting last night and they confirmed that it is the only known token of that denomination. I guess that's a good way to start off my token collection.

Cool,....that was 2 great hunts :thumbup:
congrats
what vintage / era are those tokens ?

T59