Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ultimate coil for etrac

Can anyone give me any success stories for the ultimate coil on their etrac please.Ihave all of the sef sizes and i was actually thinking of trading some of my detectors and coils in towards a 30/30 but i may be leaning towards the ultimate coil for my etrac if there are enough success stories on the ultimate coil finding new coins in so called hunted out places.Thanks charlie

I've only got two hunts on mine but I'm impressed so far. Only used it some modern parks but I can say that it can be run hotter and separates better then the stock coil. It even seems to run hotter in auto sens. I'm itching to get it on some better ground and the beach.

Charlie check out Bryce Browns field test on the Ultimate coil on the Explorer forum as well as the other coils he has field tested. Very informative and may answer questions you may have before purchasing any new coil. HH :minelab:

Keep one thing in mind, this coil feels heavier (makes the machine more front heavy) than the stock coil. I love the coil, but at age 55 I might soon turn it over to a younger hunter.

Yes, check out a new thread with 3 pages by Bryce on a hunt he just did in the Explorer forum. That was using the Ultimate and I stuck some links in there to other Explorer and Etrac hunts with this coil and the impressions they gave on it. The coil I think is only slightly heavier than the Pro Coil so that's still pretty light in my book.

I've read (cannot remember where) that the Ultimate without the coil cover is about the same weight as the stock Pro coil. I could be wrong, but it's got to be pretty close. If it's close to the weight of the 12 x 10, then swinging it for an extended period of time is no problem.

I've been using the ultimate coil off and on for about a month now. It is a bit heavier than the procoil, and the 10x12 coil too, not a lot but about an ounce heavier than the 10x12 (which can seem like a lot if you're not used to it and plan to hunt for several hours). When I first starting using the 10x12 (which I love and it is my go to coil on most sites), it too seemed heavy after swinging for long periods. Once you've used it for a while, you get used to the weight and it's not a problem. I suspect that using the ultimate will be the same. Now, I have found silvers (4 total I think) and a few bullets, plus sundry other targets that I don't really keep track of, with the ultimate that I didn't find with other coils. At least a few of those targets are ones that I know for sure I've been over with other coils BUT, with the exception of the bullets, none of them were surprisingly deep. The ultimate does seem to hit well on some targets that other coils have missed. I'm not sure if they were missed previously because the targets were on edge or close to trash, honestly couldn't tell you. When I dig a plug, I do it as quickly and as efficiently as possible and I seldom have time to analyze how the target was situated in the ground. The other day I found a 1900 barber dime with the procoil that almost certainly has been gone over by other hunters and other coils in the past. It was only a few inches deep but it was very close to a larger piece of metal that gave an overload signal when I passed over it. Could be that I just hit the dime from the right direction, or it could be improved performance of the ultimate coil....not sure. The signal wasn't the best signal in any case and if I had guessed what I was digging before I saw it, I would have predicted a clad dime or wheat penny rather than silver. My opinion of the ultimate coil? Well, up until a few weeks ago when I dug some deep bullets with it (and one was right next to a big piece of rusted iron), I had strongly considered selling it. I have a plethora of coils to go with my etrac and I wasn't sure it was worth the price tag for me to keep another in my arsenal. But I've decided that it's a keeper afterall though. I can not swear to the fact that it hits targets any deeper than my 10x12 (which I've found stuff up to 12 inches with). I've not found a lot of deep stuff with the ultimate yet but that may very well be due to the "have to put the coil over it to find it" factor rather than a performance one. I don't really have extra hunting time to switch back and forth between coils to compare how they do over the same targets, but I am getting the impression that it is hitting targets that I've missed with my other coils. My favorite coils are the sunray x-5 for very trashy areas (I regularly pick out targets in areas that other detectorists have missed), the 6x8 sef for brushy areas where I need to get around small trees and weeds, the 10x12 for regular hunting (although I will switch to the procoil at times if I'm getting a lot of null with the 10x12), and now I will use the ultimate coil on older sites that have been "hunted out" and I know should still have good targets that others have missed (after, of course, I've probably gone over it a little with the 10x12....). Happy Hunting and I hope this helps a little.

Wow thanks for the response I like you mostly use the 10x12 sef but I am going to go over several ares with my pro coil that I haven't used this year yet I appreciate all the depots thanks to all and HH

silversweeper said:
I've been using the ultimate coil off and on for about a month now. It is a bit heavier than the procoil, and the 10x12 coil too, not a lot but about an ounce heavier than the 10x12 (which can seem like a lot if you're not used to it and plan to hunt for several hours). When I first starting using the 10x12 (which I love and it is my go to coil on most sites), it too seemed heavy after swinging for long periods. Once you've used it for a while, you get used to the weight and it's not a problem. I suspect that using the ultimate will be the same. Now, I have found silvers (4 total I think) and a few bullets, plus sundry other targets that I don't really keep track of, with the ultimate that I didn't find with other coils. At least a few of those targets are ones that I know for sure I've been over with other coils BUT, with the exception of the bullets, none of them were surprisingly deep. The ultimate does seem to hit well on some targets that other coils have missed. I'm not sure if they were missed previously because the targets were on edge or close to trash, honestly couldn't tell you. When I dig a plug, I do it as quickly and as efficiently as possible and I seldom have time to analyze how the target was situated in the ground. The other day I found a 1900 barber dime with the procoil that almost certainly has been gone over by other hunters and other coils in the past. It was only a few inches deep but it was very close to a larger piece of metal that gave an overload signal when I passed over it. Could be that I just hit the dime from the right direction, or it could be improved performance of the ultimate coil....not sure. The signal wasn't the best signal in any case and if I had guessed what I was digging before I saw it, I would have predicted a clad dime or wheat penny rather than silver. My opinion of the ultimate coil? Well, up until a few weeks ago when I dug some deep bullets with it (and one was right next to a big piece of rusted iron), I had strongly considered selling it. I have a plethora of coils to go with my etrac and I wasn't sure it was worth the price tag for me to keep another in my arsenal. But I've decided that it's a keeper afterall though. I can not swear to the fact that it hits targets any deeper than my 10x12 (which I've found stuff up to 12 inches with). I've not found a lot of deep stuff with the ultimate yet but that may very well be due to the "have to put the coil over it to find it" factor rather than a performance one. I don't really have extra hunting time to switch back and forth between coils to compare how they do over the same targets, but I am getting the impression that it is hitting targets that I've missed with my other coils. My favorite coils are the sunray x-5 for very trashy areas (I regularly pick out targets in areas that other detectorists have missed), the 6x8 sef for brushy areas where I need to get around small trees and weeds, the 10x12 for regular hunting (although I will switch to the procoil at times if I'm getting a lot of null with the 10x12), and now I will use the ultimate coil on older sites that have been "hunted out" and I know should still have good targets that others have missed (after, of course, I've probably gone over it a little with the 10x12....). Happy Hunting and I hope this helps a little.

Really good write up.
I too believe the Ultimate 13 is in fact ultimate for the Etrac.
For sure it gives better coverage over the stock coil.
Have you noticed the ferrous numbers being a little off over the stock coil.
I've noticed one thing, if you run the stock coin program you will miss the deeper nickels, because the ferrous numbers run from 8-10, but when I noticed to much nulling I opened up that portion and the nickels came in very well. Hope to hunt again next week with the U13.

I would guess the higher ferrous reading is due to a larger coil which is taking in more of the ground matrix and thus the microscopic iron found in most soils?