Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Up grade from Fisher 4?

For the past two years I have been using a Fisher F4 and have been very happy with it, however, I see many people here that use a much more advanced unit. Last year I excavated about 3500 coins and a dozen rings. The F4 is very easy to use and I am a bit intimidated from what I have read about other units and the learning curve. Should I stick to my existing detector or up grade? If I were to up grade what would you recommend?
Thanks

I haVE the f4 and went to the F70 and then the 75ltd. Maybe I didnt give the F4 enough time, but after some learning it seemed the 70 and 75 where easier to use. It just seemed like I was digging less duds and falsings. Also of course the finds are deeper with the 70 and 75. Maybe Im thinking even with less set up the higher models delivered the goods easier faster, just by virtue of their increased electronics and technology. Just my opinion, good luck, CO

If your primarily a coin hunter, you may wish to consider the Teknetics Omega. Plenty of info on FMall regarding it.

TerraDigger said:
If your primarily a coin hunter, you may wish to consider the Teknetics Omega. Plenty of info on FMall regarding it.

Totally agree!

http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/shop/teknetics-omega-8000-metal-detector/

If you do that well with the F4 i think i would stick with it. I know a lot of people that went up to better machines but didn't really do much better that their old unit. Now if you are detecting in wet sand then a water machine would be a good purchase. I personally like the Tesoro Sand Shark a PI machine for the wet stuff.

From what you've said, you've done very well with the F4, and you probably know your detector pretty well by now, which in itself leads to more success. If you feel that you want some variety in machines, and are up to the challenge of learning the ins and outs of a new machine, then it will certianly help to make detecting life more interesting. If you keep the F4 as well, you will still have your yardstick to measure how you're going with the new one. I still have my F4, but also have the F5 and the Omega, amongst others. I would call the F5 and the Omega "upgrades" from the F4, but I still do ok with the F4 when I use it. The F70 and F75 would be further upgrades from the F5, so I guess it depends on how much of an upgrade you want, and how much money you want to spend. Good luck with your choice, and please dont feel that I am suggesting that you should confine yourself to the machines I have mentioned.

Thank you one and all! I think I will stick to my F4 for now as I have just paid it off with the coins I have found. I will be camping for about three months through the south and looking forward to seeing if I can dig up any CW relics, and hope I don't get into any trouble with detecting back there. I understand they have a few laws about such activities. I have written to a metal detecting club back in Virginia asking to go out with one of their members to show me the ropes so to speak but not a word from anyone. Will go it alone and see what I can find. Once again, thanks for your information about up grades.