Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Update for the Apex

Yes, you can use the same cable. i used mine to do the '.28' update on all four of my Apex devices. It took just a little longer to update my original Apex than the other three, but all the updates went smoothly and tey are all working well.

I updated my 2nd, 3rd and 4th Apex first so I could compare them against my un-altered original Apex which I got almost immediately upon their introduction. One of the new updated features said it would add a momentary back-Light when the Settings were accessed, but my last three Apex units already had that feature. My 2nd Apex, that I got shortly after my original unit, had some noise glitches and I sent it to Garrett for service and it came back working just fine. But between it and my 'original' Apex I noticed that it had the momentary Back-Light when I went to Settings. So did my 3rd Apex, and my 4th that I got a month ago just before my move to Texas.

When I did the first three units, I noticed that all three of them had the '.25' software and had the momentary Back-Light function initially. Then on Friday evening we updated my 'original' Apex and it had the '.23' software and did not have the momentary Back-Light ... until after I completed the update.

Anyway, I used the factory-supplied cable to do all the updates without any major issues, and the result is I now have four completely updated and terrific working detectors, each equipped with a different search coil. The 4th Apex, by the way, I acquired in a trade so that I will have a 'Loaner-Unit' for friends and family that is identical to what I'll be using myself.

Enjoy your Apex and thew update.

Monte

I have never doubted Garrett for a minute! Now, that they have acquired White's I expect their machines
to be extremely competitive. White's and Garrett being American made, and the craftsmanship of their
machines have always been a leader.
If I ever include a third metal detector, most likely it will be the Garrett. I expect competition to be fierce
around the last of the year?
Thanks!

Semper fi

Did the update, had to use the charging cable that came with the Apex. Haven't gotten to try it yet.
Went to a house down the street I'd done several times with the Apex and pulled out the quarter, I believe it does go a bit deeper for silver.

Attachments

• 20210427_162059.jpg
    20210427_162059.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 164
  • 20210427_161958.jpg
    20210427_161958.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 192
Yes, you can use the same cable. i used mine to do the '.28' update on all four of my Apex devices. It took just a little longer to update my original Apex than the other three, but all the updates went smoothly and tey are all working well.

I updated my 2nd, 3rd and 4th Apex first so I could compare them against my un-altered original Apex which I got almost immediately upon their introduction. One of the new updated features said it would add a momentary back-Light when the Settings were accessed, but my last three Apex units already had that feature. My 2nd Apex, that I got shortly after my original unit, had some noise glitches and I sent it to Garrett for service and it came back working just fine. But between it and my 'original' Apex I noticed that it had the momentary Back-Light when I went to Settings. So did my 3rd Apex, and my 4th that I got a month ago just before my move to Texas.

When I did the first three units, I noticed that all three of them had the '.25' software and had the momentary Back-Light function initially. Then on Friday evening we updated my 'original' Apex and it had the '.23' software and did not have the momentary Back-Light ... until after I completed the update.

Anyway, I used the factory-supplied cable to do all the updates without any major issues, and the result is I now have four completely updated and terrific working detectors, each equipped with a different search coil. The 4th Apex, by the way, I acquired in a trade so that I will have a 'Loaner-Unit' for friends and family that is identical to what I'll be using myself.

Enjoy your Apex and thew update.

Monte
Hello Monte,

good to see you are still here.
I got an Apex that had been in stock at a dealer since they came out. I don't know which software it was, but it did not have much depth in the bad soil I have here in Germany. Today I made the update and it has much more depth on my test coin. The coin is about 8 inches deep and before the update it did not hit on it at all. Now I can raise the coil 3 inches over the ground and still get a signal.

Did you see that depth increase also?

Best regards,
Andy

Hello Monte,

good to see you are still here.
I got an Apex that had been in stock at a dealer since they came out. I don't know which software it was, but it did not have much depth in the bad soil I have here in Germany. Today I made the update and it has much more depth on my test coin. The coin is about 8 inches deep and before the update it did not hit on it at all. Now I can raise the coil 3 inches over the ground and still get a signal.

Did you see that depth increase also?

Best regards,

Andy
Andy,

Hello and I trust all is going well for you. I was, as you recall, living in Vale in eastern Oregon, not far from the Idaho border. I mainly hunted old gold mining era encampments and ghost town sites or old and long out-of-use RR ghost towns. The ground was very mineralized and the sites were quite a challenge with all sorts of Iron debris and rusty tin and such. Due to declining health in more mobility issues, I had to make change this year and switch back from / reverse my dedicated hunt time that was 85% Relic Hunting related and 15% urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting to now be 15% 'old-places' Vs 85% 'urban-use' locations.

Additionally, I have moved to the (not-so) booming metropolis of Clyde, Texas, just 15 minutes west of Abilene. This West Central chunk of Texas has a lot of loose sandy material and is definitely less mineralized than places I used to dwell a lot. I hope to have things wrapped-up and signed to close on a house by mid-May, then I get start putting i more hunt-time and that will let me get a better picture of some performance differences with all my detectors, especially the Apex devices I have.

I didn't do any pre-update work for depth-of-detection comparisons, other than just my initial impression of what daily hunting results I experienced. As for that, I felt like my first early-release and primary-use Apex, with software version .23, had been just a little less depth responsive compared with my already modified units. After the new updates were done to modify my 1st Apex, it did seem to show a little better depth for me, but I wouldn't say 3". It was more like 1" to 1½" in some of the places I hunted.

But remember, I am in a different location with different mineralization, and I am only able to compare how it's working now. I might not have swept the coil over a significantly deeper target yet, either, but I will say that overall I feel the Apex is an improved performer. Maybe a bit more depth, and definitely a little quicker recovery-time as well as tighter numeric VDI responses on back- and-forth coil sweeps of located targets. I like and have enjoyed the Apex since I first got it, and now am liking it even better. Light-weight, comfortable, handy to use and simple to adjust as desired. Works well in Iron Nail contaminated sites, too.

Pleased to hear you're enjoying better performance now with the update.

Monte

Andy,

Hello and I trust all is going well for you. I was, as you recall, living in Vale in eastern Oregon, not far from the Idaho border. I mainly hunted old gold mining era encampments and ghost town sites or old and long out-of-use RR ghost towns. The ground was very mineralized and the sites were quite a challenge with all sorts of Iron debris and rusty tin and such. Due to declining health in more mobility issues, I had to make change this year and switch back from / reverse my dedicated hunt time that was 85% Relic Hunting related and 15% urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting to now be 15% 'old-places' Vs 85% 'urban-use' locations.

Additionally, I have moved to the (not-so) booming metropolis of Clyde, Texas, just 15 minutes west of Abilene. This West Central chunk of Texas has a lot of loose sandy material and is definitely less mineralized than places I used to dwell a lot. I hope to have things wrapped-up and signed to close on a house by mid-May, then I get start putting i more hunt-time and that will let me get a better picture of some performance differences with all my detectors, especially the Apex devices I have.

I didn't do any pre-update work for depth-of-detection comparisons, other than just my initial impression of what daily hunting results I experienced. As for that, I felt like my first early-release and primary-use Apex, with software version .23, had been just a little less depth responsive compared with my already modified units. After the new updates were done to modify my 1st Apex, it did seem to show a little better depth for me, but I wouldn't say 3". It was more like 1" to 1½" in some of the places I hunted.

But remember, I am in a different location with different mineralization, and I am only able to compare how it's working now. I might not have swept the coil over a significantly deeper target yet, either, but I will say that overall I feel the Apex is an improved performer. Maybe a bit more depth, and definitely a little quicker recovery-time as well as tighter numeric VDI responses on back- and-forth coil sweeps of located targets. I like and have enjoyed the Apex since I first got it, and now am liking it even better. Light-weight, comfortable, handy to use and simple to adjust as desired. Works well in Iron Nail contaminated sites, too.

Pleased to hear you're enjoying better performance now with the update.

Monte
Monte,
You have moved to a nice area with a lot of history close by. The US Army & Texas Rangers were all over that country fighting the Commanche & other hostiles. Jim Bowie at Calf Creek & San Saba. Also ghost towns like Doole & Belle Plain and a lot of activity associated with the cattle drives. Good people out there too.

Monte,
You have moved to a nice area with a lot of history close by. The US Army & Texas Rangers were all over that country fighting the Commanche & other hostiles. Jim Bowie at Calf Creek & San Saba. Also ghost towns like Doole & Belle Plain and a lot of activity associated with the cattle drives. Good people out there too.
'Thank You' for the comments, JCR. What chunk of this state are you located in?

I've been a bit busy trying to shop for a house and get things squared away, inspections done, etc., etc. If all goes well I should close two weeks from today, and I am hoping for sooner than that. Then I can get down to doing more research. Of course, with this great big, roomy state I have to deal with 95.8% of it being private property so that means I am going to have to work at gaining access to a lot of the older and potentially good sites to hunt.

You're correct, too , about folks being so friendly around here.

Monte

I'm in East Texas between the Trinity & Neches. I come out to the Llano/Mason area a couple of times a year to hunt. I bet if you meet the landowners in person and share your research findings with them they will surprise you. Natural water is the key in that country to find the old activity sites. The people are friendly, the Prickly Pear and Rattlesnakes not so much.

Guys I hate to appear dumb but how do you know what version of the Apex you have ? Just got my Apex and after I turn it on the numbers on the face change so fast I can't tell what I have, that is if it is part of the version number. I don't think I have the 28 but would it hurt the machine to download the latest version again? Was there a .27? Again thanks for your help.

The version number will come up (on the screen) briefly when you first turn the machine on.

It will not harm your machine to do the update - even if you have the latest version. I verified that with Garrett - just to make sure (I was curious).