Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Upgrade software?

Tyberoz, Everyone here is giddy with wonder. So .... to foster dialogue , they throw out all sorts of musings. Just to be the devil's advocates, to get others to chime in, etc.... And .... so what if some make crazy musings, or are into conspiracies. Go after the actual data/musings and claims themselves. Not the individual person(s) doing the musings. We've all got our "quirks", now don't we ? haha

Tom_in_CA said:
Tyberoz, Everyone here is giddy with wonder. So .... to foster dialogue , they throw out all sorts of musings. Just to be the devil's advocates, to get others to chime in, etc.... And .... so what if some make crazy musings, or are into conspiracies. Go after the actual data/musings and claims themselves. Not the individual person(s) doing the musings. We've all got our "quirks", now don't we ? haha

Tom, you're a good man, but trusting to a fault. Perhaps I'm too cynical, but these musings look ill-intentioned to me...

I've develop software for over 32 years. Software always lags the capability of the chips that is why it is nice to have an updateable machine. Here is some other points about software. The actual language that the software is written can be updated and made faster. Therefore the software needs to be recompiled to take advantage of the new release. I've developed in C# version 3.0. In the pasted 3 or 4 years they are already up to 6.0. Besides new features things get optimized. And sometimes the new releases can take advantage of the capabilities of the chips.

My vote is to have an updatable machine.

CCadrin said:
I've develop software for over 32 years. Software always lags the capability of the chips that is why it is nice to have an updateable machine. Here is some other points about software. The actual language that the software is written can be updated and made faster. Therefore the software needs to be recompiled to take advantage of the new release. I've developed in C# version 3.0. In the pasted 3 or 4 years they are already up to 6.0. Besides new features things get optimized. And sometimes the new releases can take advantage of the capabilities of the chips.

I don't know that anyone is saying it's not a good thing to be updatable. I'm just opposed to the people shouting and screaming about how the machine is DOOMED and Minelab is cheating us because they HEARD the Nox can't be updated.

Question?
As an SE Pro user which we are both on our last legs.
What is the use of being able to change the software on the Equinox.
I have been looking about purchasing a CTX but I think it would be heavy for me to use so I shall be looking into getting an Equinox but I am not a first adopter as I like to wait until all problems have been ironed out.

I would save your money on the CTX unless you plan to do saltwater hunting. For parks and relics there are better machines out there. But I also have to say a second machine can always complement another machines weakness. Also, the CTX is the best machine to id targets less than 7 inches. Once you go beyond that in my soil my other machine is deeper, even on silver.

CCadrin said:

CTX was upgradable on release in 2012. One or 2 updates is all I recall along with user ideas thread totalling literally hundreds of good ideas for improvement, lol

so, I'd like it to be upgradable also but heck they may never release another update past day 1 release.

Champ Ferguson said:
Kemper showed up and promptly got dumped over at TN this week. I'd be on the lookout for new folks stirring the pot for the sake of stirring.

damn, I missed it? That guy has REAL mental issues. Probably related to his coke arrest back in florida

JAN1 said:
Question?

What is the use of being able to change the software on the Equinox.

Because the engineers who design detectors don't foresee what and where we will use them, and all the accompanying problems to detecting our metal targets. For instance, the CTX upon release didnt work well on saltwater beaches. Once that flaw was found, they solved the problem and put out a new version of the software to make it better.

When companies are just churning out the same tech in new boxes, these problems are long ago sorted out. When the tech is new it's always possible it may need some tweeking. I'd rather download and do my own update than have to send it in to a repair center and wait a long time to get back to detecting.