Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Used Deus or New ORX?

Dan'O

I have the opportunity to purchase a slightly used Deus with the 9 in coil, for $700 with head phones, etc.
I have no real intention of using the notch feature and perhaps some of the other features that come with the Deus.
So, I was wondering if for the price the Deus makes the most sense here.
I coin and jewelry mostly in urban areas but sometimes find myself hunting relics in out of the way places and perhaps in the near future some gold shooting.
I currently have a Nokta Racer @ with small coils and a couple of Tesoros for tot lots and park areas. I also have a Nokta Impact and an MXT Pro that I may be selling soon.
I will be keeping the Tesoros and The Racer 2 and would like just one other machine that is lite and versatile.
Thanks, for your comments, as varied as I know they will likely be!
Dan

I would think that the ORX would be a better fit as it may replace all the detectors you mentioned. I bought mine for the same hunting you do and love it, I took it into a iron infested part of a park that has sent many minelabs running including mine and found a 14K wedding band, several indians, and a 1928 biker rally watch fob in all the iron... I was amazed. You don't have to fool with all the settings like you would with the Deus and worry if they are correct. I have the x35 9 inch and run 8.7 FQ and its stable at 94 sens.

Yesterday I was at a pounded park and got a soft high tone with no ID and dug a 1898 Barber dime maybe 9 inches. I haven't found silver in this park in years. My buddies that still use that 20 year old FBS technology drive hundreds of miles to other towns because they cant find anything around here are opening their eyes more to the ORX when they come home and realize I found more in the local parks than they have after driving hours.

Now, don't get me wrong... I still have my Explorer XS and will die with it in my greasy lil hands but I haven't touched it since the day I got the ORX and I think it understands.

So yes, the ORX would be the logical choice. Just take the time to learn it and give it a fighting chance. I leave my other detectors at home just to force myself to use the ORX and not be tempted to grab an old friend.

I appreciate you sharing your personal experience and its encouraging to hear of your results. I hunt primarily by sound and often listen to distant and static filled am radio stations just to help train myself to hear through the noise and pull out what I want to hear. That's also the reason I started to use the Tesoros. Now, I wouldn't part with my Vaquero and feel much the same as you do about your Explorer XS.
Thanks, for the help.

Hi
I use the Orx also, I used to have an out of warranty Deus but sold it so I could by the new ORX. Even though it only has three tones (for you and your non-Tesoro detectors the 3 tones are similar to the Racer 2).
I have practiced with it a lot since I am a prospector and can't wait to use it in the Arizona gold fields. It is a good coin and jewelry hunter, outstanding relic hunter and appears to be an excellent nugget hunter in testing.
Like Xdigger, I bought mine with the X35 9" coil and picked up a used 9" HF coil for small gold prospecting and micro jewelry. I have struggled some with the scratchy audio but I am getting used to it. With the stock wired headphones and the wireless back phones the tones sound pretty good to me after getting used to them and after adjusting recovery speed a bit and finding the right frequencies for my highly mineralized dirt. Great little detector!!!!!!!

Jeff

I like all the Deus features. XY screen is becoming a favorite for double-checking iffy targets. Also you did not mention is the coil is lf or the newer X35. The lf coil lowers the value somewhat.

It is the lf coil and has the full, over the head and ear head phones. I'll have to take a good look at all of the Deus features. I have yet to have one in my hands.

I had the ORX first. Then got a used deus and sold my ORX. I like the Deus but I only used a deep setting and a fast setting. It is a great machine. I liked it a lot. It is deep and very fast. Both of them are. So I wound up selling my used Deus and bought a brand new ORX with the 9 inch round HF coil and wireless headphones.

I have had all of the machines you have mentioned.. Once I got the ORX for the first time ever I sold every other machine I had including a Nokta anfibio and minelab equinox and the Nokta Racer 2. It is that much better.

In my opinion it is the best machine I have ever had. If you like to just adjust the sensitivity and disc and like simple control set up get the new ORX. It has the same depth as the deus and is just as fast. Get the round 9 inch HF coil. It hits plenty hard on coins and relics.

If you want to tweak every little setting on a machine a customize it get the used deus.

One plus to the deus is you can use the headphones without the remote.

I like the ORX for another reason too. It has a larger target ID screen and an iron probability bar. It is a fantastic metal detector.

Either way..... Your gonna like it better than what you jave already due to one thing for certain....the light weight of the deus and orx.

Keep us posted!!

One more thing. The HF coils run quieter then the X35 coils. In my opinion it is due to the battery being in the stem on the HF coils. So if you search in urban areas with EMI it may run smoother with a HF coil.

I bought a used Deus this spring and have been getting to know it over the year hunting old coins and relics at home sites and public areas. I'm not an expert by any means, but I think I would find having only 3 tones extremely limiting since the Deus is a tones machine more than a VDI machine. I use 4 tones a lot and two programs with full tones. Being able to adjust the tone breaks and corresponding pitch provides a lot of flexibility and power to the Deus. That being said, I would love to try out the ORX sometime as I hear a lot of great things about it.

Run the deus with hf coil and your getting an updated orx anyway,
So in essence your getting 2 machines for nearly the price of one... and not stuck with basic options

Ghost uk, the original poster was comparing a used (maybe out of warranty?) Deus with 9" LF coil, headphones and controller to a new Orx with either the HF coil or the X35 along with a full warranty that would cost about the same here in the USA. If he was comparing a newer Deus with the 9" HF coil or X35 coil for the same price as the Orx, I agree with you, it would be no contest unless he was a gold nugget prospector in which case I would definitely say - get the ORX. It has some iron settings and the bigger display and iron probability bar that Gold Field on the Deus does not have.
I have used both for gold nugget testing and prospecting and the Orx wins easily...........

Jeff

If you detect mainly via tones, then I would lean towards the Deus due to having more flexibility on tone/audio options, especially fulltones which offers bucket load of tonal information. The ORX might be a more user friendly detector straight out of the box, though the Deus having more adjustability will be a better choice to grow with as you gain experience on the machine. In that respect the if a site is becoming devoid of targets, you still have plenty of other settings to play with to achieve an optimum setup for that site, whereas the ORX is somewhat limited.

On the other hand if you prefer a full warranty and are a bit hesitant due to not knowing the past history of a second hand Deus in question (ie how much life is left in the lithium batteries etc), then the ORX might prove to be the more attractive and affordable option.

Thanks, everyone, you have given me a much greater understanding of the differences of these 'sister' machines.
I had not considered the warranty aspect and what that may mean if something goes wrong. So, how important is the warranty with the XD Deus? Is that why many of the used ones are close to 1/2 price of the new models or is it a longevity issue, as in these tend to wear out and repair is too costly?
The iron probability bar would be very useful not only for gold prospecting but also at those 'old west' type sites that are so frequently littered with iron and rusty tin debris. That leads me wonder if the XY screen could be used for the same purpose and with the same amount accuracy?
I had a run in with a Whites V3I that was unpleasant only because it was too far above my pay grade. The Deus, perhaps just as adjustable, seems much more intuitive for me and the more I study and learn about it, the more confident I am that we can make friends and learn to play nicely together.
What would be ideal is to free up some more funds that are tied up in other items and get BOTH! That way I would have a backup for whichever I use the most. Hmmm... Thinking... Thinking.. .

The Deus prices have dropped recently. Check with the dealers to find the best unadvertised price. You have to contact them of else you pay retail.

Some people will tell you the XY screen does not work well in all conditions, like high trash, etc. But I use it to double check iffy targets. The Deus is a superior machine especially if you are going for jewelry/city parks. Basically they are the same machine because they use the same coils, just more controls on the Deus. The ORX is primarily a gold nugget machine the way it is configured. The ORX costs a lot less, so you have to decide.

A used Deus is the better purchase for general detecting and will always be worth more money that the ORX.
Happy Hunting.Jerry.:thumbup:

I had a Deus and fell for the hype and traded in for a ML Equinox, bad mistake, sold the ML and bought a ORX, love the ORX, like it better than the Deus.

I do not have the ORX but have had the Deus for two years and love it. I would venture to say that if you are mainly a 'tone' hunter, you may opt for the Deus over the ORX due to more settings and more control over the tones. Just my 2c worth. Either detector is a great machine. Good luck.

Another option to think about even though isn't quite you asked about......buy a used Deus and find a used ORX remote only. Then you can use both and compare features. After you have your choice you can sell one remote or the other.
Just a thought.