Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V-Rated SEF Coils

hodr

My buddy has been having pretty decent success with the 10x12 SEF coil for his V3i despite the fact that it is not made for the v series of detectors (he can run 10x70x92 as his default setting in best data).

Today I checked the U.S. distributers website and noticed the white version "For V-Series Detectors" is now available.

I placed my order for the 12x15 (yes I know, my arm may fall off after an hour of swinging it) and am crossing my fingers for the best.

I remember that a few months ago these had been spotted in Europe, but possibly due to the V3/Vx/V3i not being as popular over there, I have yet to hear whether it works better or worse.

I will be happy if I can run it at the same settings that my friends non-V spec'd coil runs at.

Anyone else here pick one up already, or are looking to? Any experiences with the 12x15 SEF?

Thanks for reading,

-Hodr

I will stay with the 10x12 :twodetecting::whites::cheers:

We've run through this before. The black and white ones will run the same.

Not sure about the weight yet, however I know the 10x12 is lighter than the D2. I am thinking the 12x15 may only be a little heavier (these are pretty thin coils).

As for no difference between the black and the white, I remember the arguments that they aren't truely "null rated", however the fact that these are specifically listed as V-rated should mean something, right?

If not, why would they even bother to change the color or market to the Vs, why not just say the original is compatible with Vs and leave it at that?

Then again, as I said above, my buddies 10x12 is stable even with the setting pegged pretty high and using all 3 frequencies.

Maybe they just take the best performing of "black" coils and paint them white? ;)

hodr said:
...why would they even bother to change the color or market to the Vs, why not just say the original is compatible with Vs and leave it at that?

I believe I read somewhere that the company changed to white to combat potential problems with heat on the black ones (across the pond). They are the same coil just different colors, also there is no designation for V rated or not... they are not. I believe only White's sells V rated coils. Correct me if I am wrong folks.

Ok, sounds like the same info as a couple of months ago then. I just had my hopes up given that Kellyco was reluctant to list the older coils as compatible with the V series detectors. Now they sell both on their site and list the new one as specifically for the V series.

Guess I can just cross my fingers and hope for one that works well. I will report back how things go.

Kellyco has changes their ad and I am checking with JW. My 10x12 was never lighter than my D2. They still do not list them as V rated or that they can take TX boost. We will see went I get a reply.

I've been using one of the white 10x12 SEF coils on my V3i. I like the coverage aspect the most when working farm fields. The corn stubble can be annoying otherwise I can't fault it. Approaching RX gain of 10 the coil will start to overload and those high gains are not necessary for depth. I have it stable at RX gain = 6, disc sense 92 & all metal sense = 75. you will not be able to use transmit boost with the SEF. The stock 10" DD coil allows me to turn on boost to help get clarity on targets at the fringe of the V's detection capability. Whatever you decide be sure to use sens probe (zoom sensitivity) to check your signal loss. That and the ground probe should be part of your setting the V up at each site you hunt.
HH-Bruce

I usually run my D2 now that I have a stable one. Not sure I ever check the signal loss (don't even remember how to do it). I usually just hold the detector at waist high and jiggle it, if it doesn't false I run it up a bit and continue until it gets unstable. Then back it off a bit. I usually end up running around 8-10 / 70 / 90-92.

Ytcoinshooter said:
I've been using one of the white 10x12 SEF coils on my V3i. I like the coverage aspect the most when working farm fields. The corn stubble can be annoying otherwise I can't fault it. Approaching RX gain of 10 the coil will start to overload and those high gains are not necessary for depth. I have it stable at RX gain = 6, disc sense 92 & all metal sense = 75. you will not be able to use transmit boost with the SEF. The stock 10" DD coil allows me to turn on boost to help get clarity on targets at the fringe of the V's detection capability. Whatever you decide be sure to use sens probe (zoom sensitivity) to check your signal loss. That and the ground probe should be part of your setting the V up at each site you hunt.
HH-Bruce

I run my SEF 12"x10" (black color) at an RX of 12 or 13 without a problem. I see a significant loss of depth under and RX Gain of 7.

"I run my SEF 12"x10" (black color) at an RX of 12 or 13 without a problem. I see a significant loss of depth under and RX Gain of 7."
Neil, I know you do well with that coil. Thanks for your findings re gain. My white one didn't like very high gain settings. I'll check again the next time I'm out using it. From the testing I've been able to do the lower gain settings didn't seem to hurt depth for me and theV runs very stable as I push the sensitivity up. There was some discussion on another forum re less gain = less ground noise and no noticeable loss of depth in the 6 to 10 range. Anyway, I'm always learning when it comes to this detector. I like to read about your experiences using the V in your NJ soil.
HH-Bruce

They are still a good coil. I hope to find if there is any difference between the black and white and if there is what it is.

Actually it was excessive signal loss that caused me to turn the rx gain down. My memory isn't that sharp these days....I do need to test out in a farm field a few things. My brain needs a hard reset! The overload approaching rx 10 and above had to do with some non V rated whites coils I've since replaced. Thanks Neil for jogging my memory.

It isn't really signal loss. I know it says it in one of the manuals. If it was you would be losing performance, as the signal% goes up, you are not. If your signal is 10% or 40% you will get the same performance. The 10% reading means you can handle a larger signal before the detector overloads. The 40% can't handle as large a signal. You pretty much shouldn't go higher than 35 to 40%. The detector overloads around 60%.

If you are not overloading while hunting you are fine.

is this it some shops in the uk selling these.

hi hodr all i know so far is they have a V stamped by the fixing ears from what i have read.:shrug: there is a web site here in uk,called( garys detecting,co.uk) i think he tested one on the V3I,TRY THERE.:super:

Rob (IL) said:
It isn't really signal loss. I know it says it in one of the manuals. If it was you would be losing performance, as the signal% goes up, you are not. If your signal is 10% or 40% you will get the same performance. The 10% reading means you can handle a larger signal before the detector overloads. The 40% can't handle as large a signal. You pretty much shouldn't go higher than 35 to 40%. The detector overloads around 60%.

If you are not overloading while hunting you are fine.

I try to keep it around 30%. Otherwise it overloads on a surface quarter.

I did understand that it represented a margin before overload - the higher the loss % the closer to overload. Looking at signal loss and (mistakingly) thinking it also tied into how much signal was not returning would impact performance - depth of detection and sensitivity.
You have posted many things re the V that the end user can digest to help understand it better. I appreciate the insight.
HH!