Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 Video with TDI

Daniel Tn

Hey folks, I thought I'd share this video with you. I went relic hunting Saturday and brought the TDI and V3 along to play with. I don't wanna make any of you V3 folks mad or anything, so I will just flat out tell you that I'm a newbie to it, and not claiming to be an expert.

I had it setup in relic mode. I opened up the disc range to accept from about -60 on up. I had it set on the 10 high band ground filter thing, because the manual and my own testing showed that it done the best for my soil type. At any rate, you can't see the meter crystal clear but one of the ground probes was showing just a 15-20% signal loss, and the ground VDI number going from -88 to -93. Umm what else...the RX Gain suggestion was just 5 or less. I tried ramping it up and just dealing with the noise but I always had to back it down. With that said, this is what I came up with. I'm sure there are tricks and such for setting this thing up better but that's how I set it up. I was very surprised that it wouldn't give a good audio on the 4" bullet. VDI icons and numbers don't really mean a lot to me in this kinda dirt...I just dig good sounding signals. And a 4" bullet should have been rather easy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FAu_RDXD6k

You will get better depth in single freq 22.5 in relic mode.Curious as it looked like you were in analyse mode instead of search mode probably should put more time in with the V before you make a comparison with another machine. If you dig on good audio tone then by accepting down to -60 you will get a good tone for -60 and above . You were getting a good tone relic mode does not have tone ID turned on so every good signal will be the same sound

Even with the V3 peaked to perfection, it will be no match to the TDI for relics. The TDI is a professional-level ground-balancing, pulse induction detector. It is capable of remarkable depth and extreme sensitivity in the worst grounds. In other words, It was designed for relic and nugget hunting in very bad ground. The V3 is a general use detector.

Now let's compare the TDI and a V3 in the trash laden city park.

In all honesty, the V3 in single frequency mode, properly tuned, should work much better with a 4 inch deep target, even in bad ground. Something was not right for conditions.

As a side note to Hang7575's comment about 22.5 freq for better depth for relics, I have found this not to be true doing live testing in the field with actual civil war targets. I have ran that frequency and when getting iffy targets have switched over to the 7.5 freq and gotten much more stable hits, both shallow and at depth. I am assuming this is simply due to the 7.5 hitting lead/copper/brass targets better than the higher frequency.

As a note to the original topic of the post, I have seen poor quality readings on some shallow targets in bad ground, especially bullets, when using any of the detectors I have had. One must keep in mind that the quality of the metal in the bullets themselves varied widely when they were manufactured. Some were just made from crappy metal, often mixtures of junk, old melted bullets, etc. I've found the problem to be even worse in bad farm ground where chemicals have been used for years and years. I fully believe that the chemicals change the metal in such a way to make it read poorly also and this with poor ground makes it hard hunting. The TDI in my opinion, though I have never used one personally but have been around them in the field, works basically like a glorified super charged all metal mode and doesn't care at all what the metal quality is, it just tells you it's there, yeah or neah.

Here in Gettysburg the targets I am digging are hard targets and require work. I've used the V3 in places that have been thought hunted out. Did I get excellent signals on each target? No, not at all, I had to work hard for 99.9% of them using the machine to it's fullest and using my mind to interpret what the machine was telling me. I believe my success is simply because the V3 is seeing targets, skewed as they may be, that the troops of detectorists before me didn't see at all.

I really liked your video and I could watch you detect with those detectors all day long if it was up on you tube. I wouldn't like it very much if the v3 couldn't lock on to a bullet of that size 4" deep. It looks to me that when you layed down the TDI it was only 3 feet from the hole. I see that you turned it off, but having a huge aluminum tube and box that close will definitely get picked up. My little shovel has to be at least this far from my target so it doesn't get picked up. A hunk of lead should read very easy on most detectors unless there is masking. Please post more V3 and Tdi videos!

Nope dont see why people dont like your video's ny friend, this one was great.....

First of all I wasn't out making a comparison or trying to make the V3 look bad. There is one reason and one reason only why I had the TDI with me Saturday. That is....I know the TDI and don't know the V3. What I was doing was primarily hunting with the TDI. Then marking what I felt like were good signals for bullets. The area I'm hunting is just a rifle discharge area....all that is there are bullets and artillery shell frags. This area covers probably a 1/4 mile area. Some concentrations are higher in bullets than others, but all of it is on different properties.

Anyway, that said....it is a WONDEFUL testing site. It has decently hot dirt. But it's like all the dirt around here. And if you miss anything, all you're missing is bullets. If you have a machine that can ring out on bullets there, you really have something. A lot of heavy hitters have failed to do well there.

So that said.....let me say this. I was initially doing a lot of testing on the V3. I had it in analysis mode to show you guys how the ground was reading. When searching, I had it on the graph screen that shows the camel humps and such. And if you've never tried filming yourself metal detecting....you should give it a try and see how much work there is in it. LOL. At the time of the filming I had 'er in the 3 frequency mode. When playing at home in my test garden and at the sites off camera, I done my share of testing the single freq modes. I didn't really see any enhancement in performance from one way to the other, in the ground. Actually the only settings to really improve performance was playing with the filters and opening up the disc to allow some of the non-ferrous items that were reading as iron, to come in with a signal.

The analysis mode does not have anything to do with the ground that is the ground probe ,the screen with the camel humps is the analysis mode which deals with the target size. It is not made for general search . You had to have had the trigger forward the search mode is trigger in center position. I guarantee it will take more than a week or two to learn the V

Liked the video. I have had a V3 since the start and it can be made to work better with some tuning it should hit that bullet.
It is not my favorite detector for relic hunting for sure. I use mine for coin and beach hunting. Great detector for parks and beaches.

Jason

I did forget to mention thank you and good job on the video. I enjoy watching them during my "off" time at work

Great video's. I've watched several of them. Keep posting them.

Just so happens that I have a TDI and will soon have a V3. I loved your comparison.

Good work! Like you said if a person doesn't like the video don't watch. I think that goes for commenting also.

>> It is not made for general search . You had to have had the trigger forward<<

LOL...I have done that. No harm.
It is kind of like the switch on the DX-1. At least the detector works--detects-- in this mode!

Jerry

Hey Daniel,

Count me as one who likes your videos!!

I have a V3 but it isn't my favorite machine, it is my 1st Whites and I am still not used to it. My fav is the E-TRAC followed by the F75. I also really like the Tejon for hunting like you're doing here... and the SovereignGT would do well here too I think.

I noticed the VDI on the bullet in the clod was 38... minnies always give me a 51 when they are close like that and usually when they are still in the ground too.

Thanks for the vid!!!

I need to get Roy one day and we need to get together. I'm maybe an hour and a half away. It would be fun to bring all my machines and Roys and do a video comparing them all.

Julien

hey keep the videos coming my son who is 5 loves to watch than he play them over and over. We live here in east Tenn one day we would like to try a little relic hunting from my son your big FAN

I will be off after tomorrow until Jan 4th and plan on doing some digging. I am gonna make a special trip back to my test site just for you and do a video showing my findings with it. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth 100,000. I will go back and locate a few bullets with the TDI, and see if the center position makes any difference down there on the V3.

I know I just demo'ed one in-ground bullet in this video....had it been an 8-10 inch bullet, I could understand having trouble and detection loss, etc. But a 4" one? You would think a $1,300+ machine could have sang loud and clear on that even in default factory modes with no "learning" required. Or at least I do. :) I've had a detector in my hands since I was in about the 8th grade. I'm 27 now...had quite a few over the years and they all work the same to some degree or another. Like I said in my first initial post, I wasn't trying to make anybody mad and never claimed to be an expert on the V3. I was just out trying to learn how to set the thing up to try and do well and filmed my findings with it thus far with factory coil.

If I had to make a complete report right now on one, I for sure couldn't. But I can tell you I think it would be a super machine for parks/schools/beaches, for coin and jewelry hunting. I just ain't so sure if it's a heavy hitter in the relic department as of yet. I'm gonna do some good all metal testing with it as well for relics, and see if that makes a difference.

I had to double check and make sure I was actually in the V3 forum and not the TDI.

I've used the V3 on several relics sites and never had a problem detecting 3 rings and 45-70's at 6" and more. And this is not plowed fields.