Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3i and 12x15 sef gets me a deep seated 1854 quarter!!!!!

burlbark

I am so happy , I finally got another seated. This quarter was a solid 9" down and in an area full of trash from an old building that burned down. It has been hunted since the 70's and has given up plenty of Mercs and Barbers but I have never, ever, heard of a seated being pulled out of the ground here. Etracs, Minelab Se's, every Whites detector imaginable has been here. It was right there at the main gate where everyone would walk in and turn on their detector. 40 feet inside the gate where hundreds of times we detected around it, but the first time the 12x15 sef coil had been over this area. Gain at 6 disc at 87, 5hzband pass, 60 recovery delay, swinging slow, slower.:detecting:

I was 35 feet into the field and was really going slow try to squeak an oldie out and was thinking about how old this park was and there must be some really old coins yet to be found. I suddenly got an great signal of 88 at 6" and it was solid and pinpointed fairly large. I was thinking beer can and started working the pinpoint smaller and tighter. I then started to think half dollar trying to make sense of why the signal was so good. There were nails all around it making the pinpointing difficult and causing me to 2nd guess myself but it was just to good. I often find dimes or recently disturbed ground where the signals are not as strong. I was running mixed mode stereo and correlate, I usually run best data but this area has so much trash.

I started by using my relic digger and cutting a plug and there was no signal with my propointer. So I took another scoop and it was still in the hole. By this time the pinpointer picked it up and I pulled out my camera because I could tell it was a coin. 9" down I saw the rim and took a little video, but I sound pretty stupid I was so excited. I had to turn the camera off to figure out was I was holding.

It has been several years since my last seated and I just so happy to find an old one. Now I can finally flaunt a seated quarter at my detecting buddies.

Thanks guys for sharing your finds here and is this not a great hobby!!!!

PS: No matter what I try and do I can not get the picture to load rotated upright, can a Moderator help out here?

Coin front after cleaning, Picassa Photo editor was flipping the image and driving me insane. And then my post timed out to add the pic of the front...:clsoedeyes:

Nice Seated!

Howdy Burlbark--

Congratulations on an excellent find! I can't tell for certain from your photo but it looks like you may have dug the rare "Huge O" variety of the 1854-O Seated Liberty Quarter. If it is, and you haven't cleaned it too harshly, it would retail between $1,000 and $1,400. Check it out:

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/5433

Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks for the information on the mint mark. I cleaned it under running water, with a little soap and a soft bristle brush. It appears to have the tell tail bite marks of a gophers incisors. I have a gopher mound standing liberty quarter with the same teeth marks on it, a little older gopher with more wear on its teeth than this newest coin.

I have the standard small O mint mark. I am still tickled with joy.....:twodetecting:

Still a great find Burlbark. It's funny that the "Huge O" is actually smaller than the regular strike but it is thicker. Anyway, good hunting with that V3i. It's always a thrill to dig an OLD coin at that depth! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Congratulations on a really nice trophy! :drool: Good detailed write up of the signal and hunt too...thanks!:clapping:
Mud

very good!

what does the v3i says as far as ground minerization percentage and ground balance numbers where you are?

ecoast said:
very good!

what does the v3i says as far as ground minerization percentage and ground balance numbers where you are?

I hardly ever bother looking at those numbers. I just run it as hot as I can while still trying to keep the falsing down and watching my depth indicator on targets. There is a nail every 6 inches and its pretty hard to even find clear ground to balance over.

can you take a look next time?

trying to get a performance reference-- but cannot w/o knowing what kind of ground you were operating in...

That's so cool. Congrats!:clap: I use the 12x10" SEF on my V3i and have had 8" quarters bang out.
I get so excited too when I find a seated, especially a quarter...twice in 2013 it happened.

ecoast said:
can you take a look next time?

trying to get a performance reference-- but cannot w/o knowing what kind of ground you were operating in...

There are so many other aspects to consider. Coil type, v-nulled, inherent variations in frequency sensitivity, temperature, solar activity and a dozen others come into play. I often see a vdi of 91-93 and a signal percentage of 26% and a noise of 6%. It is so coil dependent it means practically nothing, while it means everything to the software.

Time and experience along with experimentation are the ultimate teachers. You have to just tweak it until you find a combination that works best for the site you are hunting.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, I am going to try again today but I doubt I will top yesterday. My 8x6 sef showed up from Kelly Co and I got a poor one. Cant run the gain beyond 7 or the 22khz starts killing the readings.

I was referring to ground minerization %; not TX/RX

I feel knowing gound min. % and where the ground vdi's at, gives us all a minimum baseline reference as to where one is operating and the other setting that they use.

TX/RX % is one indicator of how well one's setup is working, but I was just trying to understand your ground conditions.
thanks.

congrats on a beautiful seated quarter!

Congrats on a killer find ! :beers: