Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Very satisfied

markg

Doesn't look to impressive does it? Only one wheat penny! Several old memorials, is that all you might say. One old copper ring and a two piece button with gold gilt still showing. You might be thinking, why Mark would post such a picture, well there is a story behind yesterdays very enjoyable hunt.

It all started over 10 years ago for this particular site. An old school where they've burn coal for heat and discarded the coal waste in and around the entire school property. This waste ranges from nickel to BB size and most will attract to a common magnet. The material has always played havoc (reduced depth and continuous ground chatter) on all the regular VLF machines that have hunted this property, and I might add, the most expensive machines on the market at that.

Now what I'm pleased about is finding these items in what I would consider a hunted out site.

Wanting to hear everything I started with park 1, ground balanced, then set to tracking, opened up the discrimination, set the tones to 50 and did a noise cancel. During the hunt I also tried park 2 and both the field programs, all of which performed very well for me.

While hunting I listened closely to the audio response of the ground and all the iron signals I was hearing. After a few minutes and no success I started noticing mixed high tone bleeps and stopped to sweep the coil over each and before long discovered these coins either mixed in or around some of the iron audio responses I was getting. Carefully rotating around some of these signals I noted, if the audio cleared up and gave a repeatable tone it was a coin or similar non-ferrous target. If the audio stayed a more iron audio it was always a nail of some sort.

Even though no silver was found, I counted the hunt extremely successful and enjoyable at that. Already looking forward to next time!

The Nox Rocks. Congrats on your finds

Hi Mark,

I have been following your posts on this school yard with coal waste. I would consider this an impressive hunt from a "hunted out" area. It doesn't have to be all silver glitter and old coins to be successful (Although it would be nice) I look forward to reading more on your expeditions at the "coal waste" school yard.

Nice work Mark,it’s good to know it can operate in places like that,they are not the friendliest sites to conquer!
Good luck next time around,as you get time on it I’m sure you’ll find even more.