Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Visual of Charger and Audio O-Ring Connections

WaterWalker

Take it for what it is worth...
photo form: flgliderpiolot post

WW...... you thinking the magnetic hook up will be a problem? Not an electrical issue because there isnt current when not plugged in to those connections. How long will the magnets last.....humm. audio.... thats my sore spot. It wont leak...... im just not happy they changed from the CTX connector.

dewcon4414 said:
.....humm. audio.... thats my sore spot. It wont leak...... im just not happy they changed from the CTX connector.

Agreed, wish they had stuck with 3030 connector.

I think its an M12 thread but the 3.5mm jack is so weird inside.

From Minelab:

A spare or replacement EQUINOX USB charging cable. It features a handy snap-on magnetic connector, so the
[size=x-large]charging contacts can be easily wiped clean or dried after detecting in water[/size].

Hummm...charging contacts clean and dried after detecting in water. This does not sound like induction charging (QI) to me.

The only other detector that leaves its charging contacts open to the elements is that I have is the JWFisher 8X and I have
not seen a problem with that connector.

WW.... the aqua sound is the same. No juice on those connectors.... u cant use a multi meter to test battery. That I dont have a problem with.... as long as those magnets work. Wonder if u can use them to test a ring u found?

dewcon4414 said:
... as long as those magnets work. Wonder if u can use them to test a ring u found?

Thats a good idea!

WaterWalker said:
From Minelab:

A spare or replacement EQUINOX USB charging cable. It features a handy snap-on magnetic connector, so the
charging contacts can be easily wiped clean or dried after detecting in water.

Hummm...charging contacts clean and dried after detecting in water. This does not sound like induction charging (QI) to me.

The only other detector that leaves its charging contacts open to the elements is that I have is the JWFisher 8X and I have
not seen a problem with that connector.
Sounds like the primary of the transformer is not in the cable but is in the socket. Never seen one before BUT since I dont keep up with
modern electronics does anything else use this style of connector ???

Tom N.H.
LFOD !

Looking around other forums I found that the photo I posted had been cropped and no credit given. What I believe to be the original was in Steve Herschbach, Detector Prospector postings. Giving credit were credit is due and thanks to Steve for his insight and postings about the Equinox. Having one to evaluate, Steve can and has given first hand information about the new detector we are all waiting to take for an outing our self.

It does not sound like induction charging to me either. I also being a saltwater hunter don't like the wording wiped clean after water hunting. Well, a bottle of water I normally carry and a handkerchief will have a new job it appears immediately after exiting the water. Keep your fingers crossed on the magnets, but should they fail over time, a MacGyver trick of some kind will arise. Stupid question here. Are the magnets in the machine or the charging cable?

Hey WW: Thanks for the pic, good thread! I'm interested in what :minelab: recommends for clean up and preventive maintenance.

\"Carolina\" said:
It does not sound like induction charging to me either. I also being a saltwater hunter don't like the wording wiped clean after water hunting. Well, a bottle of water I normally carry and a handkerchief will have a new job it appears immediately after exiting the water. Keep your fingers crossed on the magnets, but should they fail over time, a MacGyver trick of some kind will arise. Stupid question here. Are the magnets in the machine or the charging cable?
I assume in the adapter. The inside view shows sign of them. Only a piece about the size of the 4 spots on the rear. It has 4 posts only 2 are used.
Those 4 posts are marked but I cant quite read them.
There is also a third large area that is soldered to. In the style of a ground or maybe strain relief for the ribbon cable.
I know little about induction charging but I assume the adapter a winding & the machine does to. Just an air core transformer. The adapter needs to
also have circuitry to produce AC or pulsating DC for it to work, probably at a pretty high freq. Maybe I should study on it before
I make a jack ass of myself !!

BTW the posted pix still shows no screws to hold the case halves together. That leaves using claws or glue which have interesting service
implications......

Tom N.H.
LFOD !

WaterWalker said:
Looking around other forums I found that the photo I posted had been cropped and no credit given. What I believe to be the original was in Steve Herschbach, Detector Prospector postings. Giving credit were credit is due and thanks to Steve for his insight and postings about the Equinox. Having one to evaluate, Steve can and has given first hand information about the new detector we are all waiting to take for an outing our self.

Thank you. Yes, I took that photo. It shows the plug that protects the wired headphone port when not in use. The plug seals primarily via an o-ring positioned in the bottom of the port. This o-ring compresses again the bottom of the plug. The plug also has a retainer “tether” that acts as a secondary washer seal between the top of the plug and the opening. In the event that water was to enter the port, it cannot gain access to the internals of the detector itself.

I do not think the charger is induction based. As far as I know induction technology is not yet capable of normal USB communications and this port doubles as the data link port. Usually the entire reason for going induction is to eliminate the need to make a direct connection while charging. It appears to me that the magnets simply hold the cable end in place, compressing four spring loaded pins on the cable end against the four connection points in the picture, completing a circuit.

Thank you Steve.
To prove if its induction or not run down the batteries, plug in charger with a thin piece of paper so it cant make contact.
If it recharges its inductance. If not it still could be IF both coils are in the MD itself.

Induction is what I thought. A schematic shows an osc chip driving an FET that drives the primary coil.
Secondary coil feeds a bridge, & it gets filtered regulated. No rocket science there.
The USB carries 2 data lines, GND & +5 VDC. That explains the 4 contacts. You probably could move the data
through the induction coils but that would add too much complexity.

BTW are there screws holding the case halves together ? Not looking for trouble, just VERY curious.........

Tom in N.H.
LFOD !

The detector will not charge if a piece of paper covers the contacts.

There are no visible screws holding the case together.

Steve. My thoughts (question) about magnet location, machine or cable is an easy one for you if you still have the detector. Will the cable attract say a paper clip? Or will the clip stick to the charging port? I see two cylindrical prints on the charging port, but this does not mean they are magnets verses two pieces of metal. Why would you design the magnets at the port only to attract bits of iron particles and such?

Steve:
Thanks for chiming in, I know we can put money on any info you put out.

WaterWalker

May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your scoop!

\"Carolina\" said:
Steve. My thoughts (question) about magnet location, machine or cable is an easy one for you if you still have the detector. Will the cable attract say a paper clip? Or will the clip stick to the charging port? I see two cylindrical prints on the charging port, but this does not mean they are magnets verses two pieces of metal. Why would you design the magnets at the port only to attract bits of iron particles and such?

There are magnets in the charging cable end and at the matching points on the detector charging area so that the cable holds firmly in place while charging.

steve herschbach said:

TNX again Steve for the answers. It still could be induction but off hand I dont see reason to put both
coils in the MD. I swear I saw it was in some of the ML propaganda. Others have mentioned it also.
Anyone remember where this vicious rumor started ???

To sum it up its probably NOT induction coupled charging. The 4 prongs match the USB's 4 wires.
5VDC is available VIA USB for charging at probably fairly high current.
The connectors are probably very high quality & very corrosion resistant.
Lack of case screws is interesting but I will leave that alone for now, too much chance for misunderstanding there.

Tom N.H.
LFOD !

TomNH said:

TNX again Steve for the answers. It still could be induction but off hand I dont see reason to put both
coils in the MD. I swear I saw it was in some of the ML propaganda. Others have mentioned it also.
Anyone remember where this vicious rumor started ???

To sum it up its probably NOT induction coupled charging. The 4 prongs match the USB's 4 wires.
5VDC is available VIA USB for charging at probably fairly high current.
The connectors are probably very high quality & very corrosion resistant.
Lack of case screws is interesting but I will leave that alone for now, too much chance for misunderstanding there.

Tom N.H.
LFOD !

I'm not going to waste my time digging it up (assuming it hasnt been deleted) but I remember that being in the tech spec release when the EQX was unveiled.