Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

VX3 questions for the newbies.......

Great info. on this detector so far guys. Not to beat an already dying horse buuuuttttt.... I've been looking at the V3I for a bit now and basically just saving to get back into a Whites machine. (Previously owned two MXT's) Now that the VX3 is out, I'm looking at the comparison chart (thanks for the info. BTW) and the first things that stand out to me are the 2 vs.8 filters and the lack of polar plot. Now I know there are TONs of other options gutted from the VX3, and many I'm not too familiar with. But these are the two that stand out to me performance wise, as someone who has never used these machines. Aside from the extras, ie. whp, rechargeable batteries, coil choice.... what do you experienced users see in the VX3 that would significantly decrease performance vs your current V3i? I noticed that the preliminary air tests are 9-10"s respectfully on a clad quarter....I know it's more about trash separation and target identification, but I could get that depth with my MXT at half the cost...Any and all views on this and what the current V3i users feel would be an important feature the VX3 is lacking for performance would be helpful. Thanks

In most situations the VX3 will be fine. The loss of best data and the 6 filters could affect performance in some cases. I would have liked to have seen adjustable wrap and span for the correlate.

First things first: Air tests are not indicative of potential depth. The only real value of an air test is to prove that your new box is working properly and maybe to impress your hunting partner:surprised: If you want to get the absolute most out of your detector(V3I) then cost shouldn't be a factor. The V3I is the most customize able detector on the market anywhere!
If you like to tweak and tinker, then the Spectra can't be beat. The MXT is one darn fine detector, but it cannot be tailored to stay with a V The Spectra's just have too much under the hood and that includes the new VX3.
As for what I like in the V3I are the ability to turn on or off BC reject and go from best data to correlate or vice versa. Stereo mixed mode is also one of my favorite jewelry modes and tone control is also a biggie for me. Those features are not available on the new kid on the block. Even without those features the VX3 should easily out-distance the MXT and for sure the DFX.
The VX3 has plenty of horsepower, more than most others right out of the box, Whites just took off the afterburner.
If you want the ultimate detector go for the V3I, but if the $$ are a factor, then the VX3 with a few less controls may be just right for you.
John London
Amarillo, Texas

I have yet to test a VX3 but my first concern is that with Three Frequency running in Correlate mode you might lose a little depth in exchange for stability.

When I find the presets for hot rocks, bottle cap reject, span, and wrap I can run a VX3 without getting one.

Your post suggests that you should only get the V3i. Have a feeling that you will begin to have it down fairly quick and then.....you can turn it into a VX3.....and back into a V3i (with all it's capabilities) as you grow. (Think of it like this, the V3X is a killer program for a V3i.) I can't add to all that has been said (about the limitations of settings on the Vx3) except for this.......past the performance settings, don't sell all the V3i's personalization and built in "help" stuff short. It does add to performance because it feeds the performance info to you in the best way for YOU to process.

I understand that air testing isn't real world results, but I feel it does get you into the ballpark as to how a detector will do. I gather correlate mode means that it has to hit on two freq. before it will show? What about the deep silver program? Doesn't it use just one freq. ? Not sure what wrap means yet, Rob. I just started reading the V3i manual, but I'll get to it. Thanks for the info. guys, keep it coming. I'm sure that I'm not the only one on here looking at these two units....

Look a the charts Carl and I have posted on this page. Download the VX3 manual from the Whites site. It is the best written manual and will explain the detector functions. The final choice will be yours.

Rob (IL) said:
When I find the presets for hot rocks, bottle cap reject, span, and wrap I can run a VX3 without getting one.

:rofl:

With the exception of the coil, they are identical as far as hardware goes. The box, the display, the rods, all the same. If you happen to find out the presets Rob, please share your VX3 program for the V3/V3i. :tongue: Do you think someone will figure out how to unlock the VX3 to give it full V3i capabilities? I am sure it is a couple of button presses and an unlock code. Upgradeable at your local Whites dealer no less! Just speculating here. Seems logical though. I am interested in the default presets for the omitted settings. The wrap and span specifically. You already know I am a fan of the correlate mode, so these two settings are the only deal breaker for me. As long as I can get around the corner I would consider it a cheap V3 as far as my hunting conditions go.

I'm thinking the code has been removed for what is missing in the VX3. If the code was there and someone leaked the unlock ( Leaks? Never) it would be a disaster. People would be getting $1199 V3i"s. Someone would be looking for a new job.:stars:

OK, here is the information I got. If you want to see how the VX3 runs put a 950 coil on your V3i and use these settings.

Hot rock and bottle cap are OFF. (In Hi Pro, bottle cap is set to 1). Correlate span and wrap are set to whatever the defaults on the programs on V3i are. That would be span = 30 and wrap would be -91.

As luck would have it, my VX3 just arrived, my V3i only needs these settings adjusted (Thanks for getting on that so quick Rob!!!), now to do the testing! I'm going to get right into the spots where the VX3 may have challenges.

My guess in most cases the VX3 will do a super job. I don't see why a V3i owner would want a VX3. The V3i can do everything the Vx3 can and more. Just ignore the extra V3i settings. A V3i owner can run a Vx3 but a VX3 owner would need to learn the extra V3i features. Both are excellent machines.

Basically all that has been changed is the user interface.

As I'm sure many are, I'm weighing the options of price vs getting what you pay for. I'm certain there will be plenty of reviews to look at in the near future. I already have a nice set of killer b's ( I know wireless would be nicer). and so far I have preferred the 950 coil in my area (Michigan) over a dd, although I've only had the 6x10.Anyways, those options aren't too much of an issue. Although I would like to pick up another 5.3 coil for trashy areas. I have 9 year old triplets, two of which love to metal detect with me. That extra $200-$300 between the VX3/V3i may not sound like much to some, but it would get them a couple of Compadres to start out with. If there really was an "upgrade" option from VX3-V3i like the V3-V3i that would make my decision so much easier. I could upgrade at a later time when time/budget allowed. As always, thanks for the input.

Only THEY would know and I am not they. With all the static about the V3 - V3i upgrade, I wouldn't hold my breath. There was even a remark about $125.00 when the VX3 came out referring to the V3 - V3i upgrade. Oh course this is just MHO.

Larry can tell you I take second in a two man detecting competition.

Sometimes you come in second and sometimes you come in first. :shrug:

As far as an upgrade from the VX3 to the V3i goes, I would say there is always a possibility, but I think it would take more than just unlocking a code. I can see the possibility of sending the VX3 back to White's and have them load the V3i software for a fee or even maybe a trade-in program, but again this is just a guess and not likely either would happen. If I were to place a "bet", I would say that if you wanted an upgrade, you would have to sell the VX and buy a V3i, a system used by the other manufactures.

TX Boost needs extra components to boost the voltage , unless there on the vx3 board, dormant.

Rob (IL) said:
My guess in most cases the VX3 will do a super job. I don't see why a V3i owner would want a VX3. The V3i can do everything the Vx3 can and more. Just ignore the extra V3i settings. A V3i owner can run a Vx3 but a VX3 owner would need to learn the extra V3i features. Both are excellent machines.

Basically all that has been changed is the user interface.

I'll be adjusting my V3i to VX3 specs for teaching the difference to new VX3 users.(Summer is here, there will be quite a bit of interest in this new machine, and knowing where it is in relation to the V3i will be important.) Looking forward to getting out.

I am actually thinking about letting my 5.3, cover, and quick change pole go because I have only used them 2x. But I will not be able to post in the classified area here for another month or so. I think the limit is 90 days or something......... Those coils that go in circles just don't get it done for me, but the detector dealer that I bought my machine from absolutely swears by the 950 and 5.3 coils on a V class machine. In Michigan I can absolutely understand why, but I am stuck on the left coast - deep in the minerals.

The Shark