Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

VX3 questions for the newbies.......

That is cute, now I understand your login name........:crazy:

Well, like I said "I know I will get differing opinions". I will concede that small gold would be an exception as far as depth goes. I can see the Best Data doing a better job with a smaller low conductive target. My findings are based on a lot of testing over targets both in the field and coin garden. The limitations in Best Data mode That I run into have to do with Wrap. In general as a coin target gets deeper, and you deal with mineralization as a barrier you will see the VDI elevate until wrap occurs. The first frequency to wrap is the 22.5kHz, followed by 7.5kHz, and then 2.5kHz. Another scenario that can lead to Wrap is when you have to lower your RX and DS to deal with EMI. I have had a Wheat penny buried at 8 inches in a high EMI coin garden for about 3 years now. Best Data will not see it do to the fact that both 7.5kHz and 22.5kHz are wrapping. Correlate Modes pick up the coin without issue. It is the Wrap setting that makes this happen, not the Span allowance. I open up my span to allow for a broader range of response from targets in close proximity (coin, nail, aluminum, etc.) all in the same hole. These results, combined with feedback from Bob Canaday (rcsnake) at whites give me a higher confidence in the Correlate Mode in general. Here is an interesting quote from Bob...

"On the subject of correlate vs. best data the depth should be the same.

However, today it seemed that the correlate sounded better on targets as opposed to the best data unless the VDI was jumping by more than 50. The best data audio seemed to follow the changes in target information better than the correlate audio. This was experienced when comparing targets before they were dug. Should be noted that i use standard tone ID and mix mode stereo.

Giving this some thought it would be what I would expect from the V3. However the targets were would have been dug in either mode and most of them were 6 to 8 inches down. As both correlate mode and best data look at the VDI /phase of the target and then processes the audio information according to the setting of the machine such as disc, recovery delay, tones and the list goes on.

On the subject of recovery delay it does pretty much what you are seeing except as the signal received from the target decays on its slope if a stronger signal is received before the end of the original target signal the the stronger signal will take over and sound off. At least this is the way it should work...

rcsnake
Bob@Whites"

I am primarily a coinshooter, so for me the Correlate mode in my moderate soil is easily deeper than Best Data. I can only assume that as soil conditions improve that Wrap is not such an issue, which would allow the Best Data mode to get better depth than it does for me. The ability of the V3/V3i to deal with such a wide variety of hunting conditions is truly a thing of beauty.

Jack

I would add that I am referring to Whites non V-rated coils when talking about the behavior Best Data mode and higher conductive targets. On a non V-rated Whites coil you will see for example a clad 50 cent piece come in at 92-93 in best data (air testing). The same coin will come in at 90-91 in Correlate. As you add mineralization you will see this difference exaggerated. The coin will wrap sooner using Best Data.

Good post Jack. This will never be settled one way or the other. Bob doesn't run correlate himself and prefers best data with stereo mixed mode. That's what's great about the V3i, have it your way. Rob

I agree Rob. Nothing I guess to really settle, as long as that good stuff keeps coming out of the ground is all that matters. :)

You sure are correct on that matter. It is good to know opening up the span basically makes the correlate as deep as best data. How wide have you settled on ? Rob

I currently have my Span Limit set to 45. This setting was based on getting a good response from a Nickel at 8 inches or so. The lower conductive targets require the greatest span at depth. This due to the 22.5kHz frequency being out there on it's own so to speak. The 7.5kHz and the 2.5 kHz frequencies align a lot closer on deep silver/copper coin targets and don't require a very wide span limit in comparison to get good depth. The other benefit to a wide span setting is in dealing with multiple targets in close proximity as previously mentioned. Believe it or not a deep Nickel will show up in the low 60's VDI range for me. During pin pointing I will always get a nice even upside down stair step pattern with the 22.5 / 7.5 / 2.5 frequencies. 22.5 being the dominant, followed by 7.5 and finally 2.5. I have picked up a couple nice V Nickels in the last few hunts. It was nice to see a little pattern develop on the deep low conductive coins.One of these days it's going to be a half or quarter Eagle that comes out of the hole. :tongue:

Jack

Wow I now can understand how this machine can have so many ways to program it. I would not have known about this till I read all of this info...how do you guys figure this out..is it in the manual? What else am I missing...

Have you figured out the satellite TV yet? :laugh:

Yes it is in the manual, sort of.
[attachment 203586 mice2.jpg]