Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

We need to start coming up up with some single frequency slammers.

nw1886

Has anyone made up a single frequency program (away from stock) that is more like the traditional White's concepts for speed and recovery? (That is why those folks have edged out the others... IMHO.) This V is so easily capable of making it into whatever kind of machine type you could want....and still have the incredible interface.
I just haven't made time to seriously do this and that is ridiculous. These programs would be used heavily I think. Don't get me wrong, three frequency is so important but there are many situations that it is just not needed and all you want is punch and SPEED! The V would rule single frequency real estate! (I'm sure we've all thought about this some...very little implementation though.)

I have spent some time with Hi Pro in single frequency and was real impressed, but depth is not a high priority for me just yet. I'm having too much fun with three frequency. It seemed that Hi Pro in 2.5, gains another 1-2 inches in depth for old silver. I'm more interested in tweaking a gold jewelry program, but again this will be a winter project for me. Too much toy, not enough time........:shrug:

The V3 is my first White's machine and I am all ears... and eyes... heh. I was thinking maybe a good 7.5 program would be good for relic hunting but I don't know.

I've been reading the manual and making a list of questions.

Julien

In theory single freq is supposed to focus all the available power to the one freq giving more depth. I've tried it in relic fields and found that it may add a little. I run the 7.5 and crank my gain and disc. sens up as high as I can. I also run relic with mixed mode off.

What's the advantage of Hi-Pro over Coin and Jewlery? Seems to be very similar to me.

jimmyk in Missouri

I have been running a single freq prog .I have copied over the stock coin & jewelry prog reduced the gain to 7 and reduced the discrim down to 75 and had a 95% sucess rate shooting coins. VDI's are spot on the analyze screen is less cluttered and i have been blasting out everything from a george the 3rd shilling to a mint george the 3rd penny with all sorts of other stuff in between . Hit a george the second halfpenny tonight and a slack handful of other bits including a near mint 1862 victorian half penny. this machine rocks and blows my XLT into the weeds on IDing targets. I know i was sceptical on my first couple of outings but anyone thinking of buying a V3 (JUST DO IT !!!!). i have used a number of different tecs over the years and this is the most user friendly high end machine ever made. the etrac is a cryptic nightmare compared to the V3 !!!

all the best rob

cloudbuster...that is absolutely what I wondered about! Did you increase the sweep and recovery speed to compensate for the faster processing speed? T (I am envious of you guys being able to find Georgian coinage in some kind of volume!) We get some here but not like that and none in the Pacific NW where I'm at. When you say "mint"...original surfaces but without any red? Nice!!! It is crazy to expect any red but I once seen a Roman "Fel Temp." centenionalis come out of a Belgian hoard... honest and original RED. (That coin was snapped up quick and you can bet it was worth a lot more than the $60 American a brown one goes for!)

The reason I'm curious on the single is at a gathering this last weekend, we were all messing around with all of Whites machines. The V and TDI were the most concentrated on (of course) and there were a couple well known guys there saying "to heck with the socializin'...we are here to hunt!". One had an M6 and the other a Classic III w/3.5 concentric.The dirt was pretty tough and loaded with aluminum cans and iron. I was watching them cover a lot of ground and thought about the tweaking of the V to get away from the, as Larry calls it..."The ML Crawl" (and still having most of the V's better depth). Not that a slower search method is necessarily bad as some situations demand it...but not ones where no targets are deeper than 7" (or for the typical ball field jewelry hunt).

I absolutely am enjoying the 3 frequencies (there is nothing out there like it) but can you imagine a V optimized Bigfoot, traditional Whites fast response speed, a frequency of 22.5, and all that processor being dedicated to faster... better audio and VDI's. I have a feeling that a higher percentage of ball field jewelry will be ours and...like we said early on with this box..."We have yet to appreciate all it's BIG strengths." (and bet some aren't going to be 3 freq. oriented).

I have not adjusted the rec speed as yet !!! one small adjustment at a time is best i find. I used to get in a terrible pickle sometimes with my XLT not knowing what i had done and smeggin a perfectly good prog by messin about to much LOL !!!
I have made another tweek though by switching the tone ID on and assigning a single tone to everything below 0 then i have a different tone for 0-20 to weed out the gold or foil trash then 2 further tones one from 21-79 for general coin hits then one further tone for 80-94 to sing out on silver etc(i guess one or two tweeks will have to be made to adjust to US coinage). this i have found easy on the ear and gives another little weopon in the arsenal that the V3 has to offer.

the field i have been working this week has either no iron at all (which is great and makes for easy target ID) or very trashy making it very difficult to weed out some targets. best demo for me on how good this puppy is, I dug two 1p coins + a badge made of some cheap alloy with each target within 6 inches of each other with an old nail slap bang in the middle.

all the best rob

Would working in one Frequency work better when hunting silver. I mean green is silver and what 2.5 having adjusted the machine to hit on silver by using one frequency help me out when searching the field for just silver. Much like using block edit and just opening up silver coins would this add to the overall performance to finding gold?

I think you are right on the $$ NW. One example is the post "Rings" that Steve posted and found two gold rings and an award. Steve borrowed my Bigfoot for the weekend and I suggested he try the 7.5 single frequency since the 22.5 was not reliable. He tested it a little before leaving and the 7.5 worked good, apparently, very good.

For at least one simple reason....Depth capability. Even running one frequency, the V in my test garden picked up items that the xlt wouldn't touch.

This thread needs to be topped. :bouncy:

Some interesting observations.......(sorry if this has been written about before)

So after getting my V3 a few days ago I went to my test garden. I went after a silver dime I had burried in the 10" to 11" range. My XLT can barely hear this dime and only in a custom hot program we have been using in the XLT's for years. On the XLT it's not something I would dig because I only get a very short hit that is identical to deep iron. In our west coast bay area soil, 7" is the outer limit for a XLT.

I tried this dime with the V3 in almost all programs including one similar to the hot program written into the XLT (we wrote it into the V3's aswell - the share program of the V3 sure was nice for that!!!!). Anyway, none of the stock programs gave a solid hit (nothing you would even notice in a sweep). I could get it to a digable signal in hi-pro and this custom program with short fast strokes (the wiggle)but even then the VDI jumped all over the place with 54 seeming to be the most common VDI. Frustrating!

I read this thread and decided to give it another shot with some single frequencies in hi pro and the custom program. First hi-pro. No single frequency had a huge improvement.

Custom program: 2.5 barely heard it, bad VDI.......7.5 ditto.........22.5 bingo! The dime fricken blew my head off. VDI in the 80's where it should be. An XLT on steroids!!!! (Note: tx boost was never on for any test) I wonder how deep it will actually go because it was a very strong signal at 10+".

There is much more testing to be done actually in the field in a deep silver area but it seems really promising. My main concern will be deep iron that plagues even the best of machines. Will I get a red edge on the signagraph on iron and never on a coin? We'll see.

Bottom line is - if you have/had a custom deep coin program in your XLT/DFX try writing it to your V3 and toy with single frequencies.

An interesting note. I don't care for, nor can I even begin to use White's "Deep Silver" program, But note it is a single frequency (2.5). I've noticed in the field 22.5 responds best to deep coin targets as evidenced by the analyze and pointpoint indicators (blue is dominant). That has proven very true in my test bed. Maybe different soil is a different story???

I'd love to know more about your custom program... :twodetecting:

Julien

So would I. Rob

I'd publish the settings here if I had written the program. My buddy wrote it and I'm unsure of the proper etiquette of posting it here. Is this stuff top secret? :shrug: My guess would be no but I think it's better to ask him first.

Another reason for not posting it is what works or is needed to punch deep in this area my not work or be needed in your area. i.e. you should experiment and write something that works in your ground. Copy hi-pro into a custom bank as your starting point and start cranking it up. Run as little discrimination and as much gain etc. as you can stand. BCR off at all times! Get used to the falsing, popping and grunting - in time you'll tune it out and it becomes nearly as unheard as your threshold.

Edited to say: Don't forget the intent of my first post to this thread. Experiment with single frequency, especially 22.5. I know it's counter intuitive because thats typically not known as the deep coin killer.

I am starting to think there might be an advantage to hunting smaller silver in the 7.5 single freq. over the 2.5. I know soil conditions can play a heavy factor in this but the deeper ( 6+ inches)silver dimes I have been finding show slight signs of favouring the 7.5. Anyone else notice this ?.

HH Pat

Thats interesting because so far for me 2.5 is dominant for shallow keepers and 22.5 for deeper stuff. It will be interesting to hear if soil types play a big roll in determining the dominant frequency. My guess is it will which backs what i said above. Experiment with your home turf.