Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

We raised this orphan calf after the mama died giving birth..............

Kelley (Texas)

Several years ago, we had to bottle feed a newborn heifer calf whose mama died giving birth. While checking on the cows one afternoon, I spotted this baby heifer calf standing near her mama who was laying near some brush in our south pasture. I could tell right off the bat that something was wrong. The mama cow was dead, had died giving birth. I tried to get another cow to nurse the heifer calf, but she would not nurse. I had a neighbor help me load the calf and we took it to our horse barn and placed her in an outside pen with lots of hay for bedding. The vet came to the house and we gave her a milk solution laced with medicine to start her immune system to working. For the next thirty days we bottle fed the little calf, then taught it how to eat pasture grass. At approximately forty days, we started turning it out to pasture during the day so that it could learn to adjust to being around other cows and calves. It was funny because every evening it showed back up at the gate and we would lead it to it's pen for the night. By the sixth month, it was on it's own, and was a full member of the herd. These are two pictures of the calf. The third picture is a photo of one of my horses that was watching us one day as we were bottle feeding the calf. The horse was curious about what we were doing, kinda funny how it watched. Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 171002 MVC-649S.JPG]

[attachment 171003 MVC-652S.JPG]

[attachment 171004 MVC-786S.JPG]

Makes ya wonder what they are thinking sometimes!

You really got a soft spot for a tough ole' Texan.

Just funnin' with you. You are a kind-hearted man.

And a bit of a Doctor Doolittle.:)

The Fenian.