Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well back to my trusty GT :(

Beachcomber

My E-Trac has bit the dust. Drove all the way down the Shore this morning went out on the Beach pushed the Power On Button and nothing happened :( I tried both battery packs and still nothing happened. It was fine when I shut it off last Sunday but now nothing. Called my Dealer and he said send it to Minelab :( :( :( :( This sucks! It's also a first for me. Never had one of my Minelab detectors crap out after only 2 weekends of detecting :( So I probably won't be making any more posts here for a few weeks :( Guess mine has the same problem that a few others have mentioned with it not turning on sometimes except that mine never did start working again :(

So it's back to the GT for this weekend's beach hunting.

HH

Beachcomber

Mine has been hinting at trouble in the startup ever since I got it. Maybe one out of ten times I power it up it beeps two or three times and shuts off again. I hit the button again and it powers up. I hope it isn't going to let me down... That would be crap. I would NOT want to have to send it to ML, but I guess I would.

I have really grown attached to this detector. It has quickly become my all time favorite. It "sees through iron" you know... :detecting:

Julien

I was detecting at a park. I was in auto, hit the button to go to manual, and...nothing. I didn't loose my screen, but the detector just went dead. I couldn't pinpoint, couldn't change my sensitivity settings, couldn't do anything. So, I had to power down and re-start. This happened twice. This only happend when switching from auto to manual.
I called my dealer and told him about the problem and he in turn called Minelab. Minelab told him, to tell me, to do a factory reset to see if that fixed the problem. So far, so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Gary:cool:

Mine didn't give me any warning. It has been working great since day one. It just decided it wasn't going to turn on anymore. Guess it didn't like those 5 hour hunts at the beach :) Like you I was becoming quite used to hunting hunting with the E-Trac to the point it felt like an extension of myself. The first two times I went out with I had a backup detector in the car. But after that I stopped taking the backup machine as the E-Trac had been working just fine. I did hear somewhere that it could see through iron ;)

HH

Beachcomber

Take the battery pack out of the unit and let it sit there without the pack installed for 20 - 30 minutes. Put some fresh batteries in the alkaline pack and install. Try doing a full manual reset. Heck even my Apple iPhone crashes from time to time and the Apple guys are supposed to write good software :rofl: Let me know what happens.

just took the battery out. I will let it sit for awhile and see what happens. I hope it works! I sure don't feel like having to send this in for repair already.

Thanks

HH

Beachcomber

I tried to do what you said. I took the battery out and let it sit for about an hour and a half. I put the alkaline pack in and pushed the button and it came on but I didn't have the coil on it so I shut it off as I didn't want to run it without a coil as most transmitters don't like to run without their antennas attached. After I put the coil back on I tried turning it on but it wouldn't start up. Guess I should have done the "Factory Reset" when it came on the first time. Anyway I let it sit for another hour and half without the battery and tried it again. It wouldn't turn on. So I took the battery back out and let it sit overnight. I just tried it again but it will not start up. So it's off to Minelab and a proper repair. I sure hope they get the bugs worked out of these soon as I think it could turn out to be a nice detector. So today's trip to the beach will be with my trusty GT.

HH

Beachcomber

maybe its the coil? turning it on without the coil wont hurt anything.. its a good way to build patterns cause you can do inside the house

some of the other Forums that Minelab has had some peoples machines for over a month. That would not be good Public Relations on a brand new just released detector!!! Back when the original Explorers came out and people were having problems with the 1/8" headphone jacks Minelab was fixing them and sending them back to people next day air. So if you sent it to them on Monday by Next Day Air you had it back by Friday ready to use for the weekend. They had awesome service back then. I hope they follow through as well for those of us having problems with the new E-Trac's!!!! I definitely do not want Minelab having it longer than I did!!!! :( Guess we'll know soon enough. Maybe I should have waited until they were out a few months and all the bugs were worked out before I bought one :( Unfortunately I don't have that much patience anymore :) The older I get the less patience I seem to have :)

HH

Beachcomber

I tried it all different ways and with the rechargeable pack and the alkaline pack, with and without a coil. It's not coming back on this time. I tired teh coil on my Explorer and it's fine. I think if I was going to make patterns in the house I would hook it to the PC with the USB Cable since the transmit section is turned off when it's hooked to the PC. I event tried it that way and it wouldn't turn on. Thought maybe hooking it to the PC would override the touchpad on/off button. My camera automatically turns on when I hook it to the PC and turns itself off when I unplug it from the USB cable so I was hoping the E-Trac would to but it doesn't :(

Well it's off to Minelab Las Vegas tomorrow. I always wanted to go there but never made it. But my E-Trac gets to go there twice :) Hopefully that as many times as it's going to visit Las Vegas :)

HH

Beachcomber