Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well life rolls on

if you super tune that Vaquero I don't think many will touch it.
One thing to be aware of with super tuning it is that the discrimination does not work as well when super tuned. You can end up digging very deep iron that you would not have dug if the detector was not super tuned. I've done a lot of that deep iron digging and found that I became much more selective in where I would super tune. With that learning, and running little super tune; the ratio of desirable targets to trash got better.

Because every target sounds the same and don't give me that BS about sound nuances BS
Not at all. The nuances are very real. Before the forum moved to this new hosting platform there were many discussions of the nuances and how to pick them out. Unfortunately, much of those are not findable here and you need to go to the way back internet archives to find them.
The original Tesoro forum also had many discussions on the nuances and the very real differences in the edge sounds of roundness, clickyness, drawn out edges and mixed or bouncing edges.
Pick up a copy of Clive Clynick's book "Pulsepower!: Finding Gold at the Shore with a Pulse Induction Metal Detector". Clive talks about listening to the edges and modulation of the beep. In his Excalibur books he also talks about the narrow and drawn out signals that are the same type of characteristics that can be discerned with beep and dig detectors.

Several years back we went to an old property to hunt and have a family picnic. Youngest daughter, who was 13 or 14 at the time, tried her hand detecting with a Tesoro Compadre. After about half an hour she was telling me about the different sounds on the edges. Neat thing about that is that I have never talked with her about listening for the nuances, she discovered that all on her own.

As I get older and my hearing is not as good, it is harder to hear the edges; that doesn't mean they are not there.

Cut previous post short to go watch the F1 race .... Now I'll add that the Whites XL Pro I have is very verbal with its single tone. Beep and dig with a meter, but you will virtually never dig a bottle cap with it since the tone has a unique sparkling sound off on bottle caps. The only unfortunate thing about that sound signature is that harmonica reeds sound very similar; so you need to be aware of the area and what you are looking for before you totally ignore that sound signature on this beep and dig. Don't know if the other Whites of the time had that unique sound on multiple sharp edges or not as I did not have others.

I sold all my Tesoro's a few months ago and said I was done with them... Now I have a mint Silver Sabre Umax to play with in the totlots...lol.
IMG_1925.JPG

When I first started watching the forum's in early 2000. Lot of Tesoro hunters. Guys talking about their Sabers, Bandits, DeLorins, Cortez the Compadre. Than the mysterious Golden. Troy had a good run. I believe Tesoro sold a gang of Mojave's. Just a few years ago too. Than Wammo. K-Put.
So rather the guys quit hunting or got too old or moved on. Just not many guys telling of their hunts. Things sorta dried up in the school yards & parks, but you can still dig up some fun. Deep Tech trying to get their new analog a foot hold in North America. I was looking at the Fisher F5. It's like a Hi Bred , got knobs and a silly screen. About the closest I have found since the fall. You know Tesoro sure put a lot of tech in those little boxes. Gonna B missed. Well as for me, I got the Light Brigade. Mojave and the HH Pirate Pro. Their both closing in on a thousand coins this season. Makes a challenge.
thy didn't sell a "gang of Mojaves" as they didn't have enough time to make 'em!
they croaked! from what I read, maybe 200 or so were built, so good for you that you have one!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Sounds like the Mojave will be the rarest Tesoro to find in the future. What was the final general consensus regarding the stock coil that came with the Mojave...did it at all resemble the Troy Shadow X2 7" concentric coil?

Back in the 90's we all detected old war sites some of the guy's used Tesoro's detectors, White's & Garretts
But the guy's with the Fisher CZ 5, 6, & 6A killed it everyone else had hand trowel CZ users used sawed of shovels.

Sounds like the Mojave will be the rarest Tesoro to find in the future. What was the final general consensus regarding the stock coil that came with the Mojave...did it at all resemble the Troy Shadow X2 7" concentric coil?
according to a gentleman who worked at Tesoro,the "precision 7" concentric coil'' on the Mojave was developed FOR the Mojave,
and was ''separate" technology from the "super 7" coil on the shadow.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Just couldn't get passed a 1 tone detector WHF was that all about
If a company doesn't update and upgrade their tech they go by way of Tesoro. GONE
this is true, however,many are in denial about this, because they have hunted for years
with a "single tone" tesoro. I have hunted a long time with tesoro,and yes it is very difficult to discern
any difference in tone from "SHALLOW" TARGETS,(except coins which sound somewhat "less harsh"BUT get down around 4" or deeper, and that beautiful
sweet "modulated" "smooth" hit of a coin definitely "sounds" very different. it's "no bulls*t". .I'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I started with Tesoro the main reason is I didn't want to have to look at a damn screen,,, I looked at computer screens and phones all dang day at work and therefor wanted no part of it in metal detecting, I'll hear the beep and I'll dig it and see what it is how hard is that.. BUT I fell in love with tesoros once I figured out how to really use them now I have 7 of them 3 are compadres and I have some beep and dig fishers and recently bought a Mojave that I haven't even used yet so who knows with that one maybe I will have 3 of those soon too.

when I get bored with Tesoro I have to take a look at those deep techs though.
best of luck with findin' 3 mojos! they didn't make many, and guys love 'em, so
might be a challenge scoring 3. just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Robert some years back my hunting partner used a Fisher CZ-20 so I know about Fishers depth reputation and I don't dispute it :>) I can honestly say that when hunting junky areas more times than not the Tesoro had the edge. While searching really junky areas (where most of my hunts are) depth is not as important as a quick target recovery speed with rock solid discrimination.
Back in the 90's we all detected old war sites some of the guy's used Tesoro's detectors, White's & Garretts
But the guy's with the Fisher CZ 5, 6, & 6A killed it everyone else had hand trowel CZ users used sawed of shovel

Thanks Mary as that confirms the last word I heard about the Mojave coil. I know how the Tesoro coil differs somewhat from the Troy coil but have never used a Mojave configured coil. Really sad that the sun finally sat on Tesoro cause they were built solid and hard to beat in the trash :>)

Yep,turning 79 in 4 days getting to old for any deep diggings thing is I still have several pristine detectors plus a F-75+ thats never seen dirt just put it together and back in box:(.Getting old is for the birds:(
Do birds get old? Well depends on what kind & where they live just like human beings! Some of us live to be old BUT others don't while a few live to be past 100 --now that is long life in this silful & corrupted world! We live to the age God chooses for us unless a rotten world interferes or we commit suicide & end living the rest of what God appointed for us! It is appointed once for mankind to die & then the Judgement of Jehovah God in Jesus' name!

May God Bless you to be healed completely with GOOD health until we leave these mortal bodies to rest in peace or be raptured into our brand new glorified bodies into our beautiful brand new Mansions in God's Heavenly Kingdom where we (who know Jesus personally) will live eternally because we will never grow old & Death is no more! Please, Dear Lord Jesus, Come quickly, because I sure do want to go Home--my Heavenly one--& be with Jesus forever more! Amen! Ma

Thanks Mary as that confirms the last word I heard about the Mojave coil. I know how the Tesoro coil differs somewhat from the Troy coil but have never used a Mojave configured coil. Really sad that the sun finally sat on Tesoro cause they were built solid and hard to beat in the trash :>)
very tough to beat in the trash, and super great in the iron. the 7" Mojave coil is a perfect match for the mojo.gets down around 8" or so on coins in my "mild" soil.
build quality is exceptional, and sooo lightweight! just a joy to hunt with and sooo well balanced.

(h.h.!)
k.t.

Can you tell the difference between a trumpet playing middle C and a muted trumpet playing middle C? Can you tell the difference between a piano and an organ at the same tone? What about Roy Orbison and Linda Rhondstat hitting the same tones in Blue Bayou? Can you tell which one is singing? Can you hear the difference in a piano and a harpsichord playing the same not. Can you sing your total vocabulary at middle C and have someone else hear what you are saying? Can you tell the difference between a long tone and a short one? Is it some kind of magical nuances if you can? You can understand a lot in one tone if you listen. If you have never listened, you will never understand.

Can you tell the difference between a trumpet playing middle C and a muted trumpet playing middle C? Can you tell the difference between a piano and an organ at the same tone? What about Roy Orbison and Linda Rhondstat hitting the same tones in Blue Bayou? Can you tell which one is singing? Can you hear the difference in a piano and a harpsichord playing the same not. Can you sing your total vocabulary at middle C and have someone else hear what you are saying? Can you tell the difference between a long tone and a short one? Is it some kind of magical nuances if you can? You can understand a lot in one tone if you listen. If you have never listened, you will never understand.
Huh, quite right. I believe the Beatles did or where accused of playing with these sort of things, lyrics in some of their albums. Back to machines, no matter how simple or modern the machine, hunters continue to dig the ( Iffy signals) Is that due to having listened, not listened, hope against hope, gut feelings or just the human condition?

Lots of those Tesoro guys are now up in age 60-80's. Many no longer physically able to get down a dig a hole and get back up too many times. Maybe even still have a Tesoro or two hanging about for old times sake.
The younger crowd these days who in their 40's or so look to the new fancy pants machines with bells and whistles that resemble cell phones. Lucky some still got into detecting using a beep and dig machine and know their value.............................most of the time they cost far less than a screen machine. More fun to use....................like the Mojave and Pirate Pro.

I will use beeps and screen machines and seem to find the same amount, type of treasures and trash.

DeepTech is making a go of it with the Vista X. Might just revive a new generation of beep and dig detectorists.
YEP, i AM OLDER THAN DIRT:LOL:,but cannot do anything about it.Maybe it because of the 10 major surgeries on back,neck,right shoulder replacement,gastric -bypass ,colon reduction,plus next will be catracts on both eyes.I will be 81 in two weeks ,but feel like 123:eek:

Attachments

• 02-09-2012 03;39;43PM.JPG
    02-09-2012 03;39;43PM.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 08-24-2009 07;37;40am (2).jpg
    08-24-2009 07;37;40am (2).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 465545fbf66b759f90571c743a53b421--bed-photos-computer-jokes.jpg
    465545fbf66b759f90571c743a53b421--bed-photos-computer-jokes.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 173
  • RETIREE.jpg
    RETIREE.jpg