Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

wells fargo lead inget????

cladkiller

Ive had this lead inget or what appears to be lead?for some 28 years, it says Wells Fargo express bonded 1852 Bankers on the front with an eagle holding what appears to be wheat stalks in its tallens,
on the back it has an eagle over a shield stamped into the inget.
ive never taken it to anyone to look at it , but i did contact wells fargo and they have now idea of its origin?
So i figured i would post it on the whatz-it forum , any info would be appreciated
Thanks
David

I'd have that ingot tested, might be silver...?
Why would anyone put all of those marks on lead...??

In doing a search I found.......... "Wells Fargo & Company Express never issued any ingots, bars, or bullion with their mark".

It could be a souvenir ingot or once silver plated, there are some fake Wells Fargo "silver" bars floating around.

Thanks larry , thats kinda where i got with my search, just curious if someone else might have one and now its story!!!
David

I would go along with the premise that it's a fake item produced to sell to unwary collectors or tourists.

This from the Wells Fargo History site...... http://www.wellsfargohistory.com/resources/faqs.htm
And as mentioned here already, Wells Fargo never made or stamped bars for circulation as money.

Because the Old West resonates so much with people, things that seem authentic can be "made" authentic by applying another Western personality on them: Tombstone, Dodge City, Buffalo Bill

There are some Wells Fargo paperweights out there. The ones I've seen are brass, but about the same size. They picture the stage coach mainly but I'm sure there have been other versions.

Send pictures to Wells Fargo Historical Services
420 Montgomery St. A0101-026
San Francisco, CA 94163

They can tell you more about it....

Or sell it to me for $20.00

:rofl:

I also have a simular item, Not too sure what we have here but the local pawnshop tested it as 90% TIN 1% SILVER & 9% LEAD.
willing to sell!!!!

deweyparks2007 said:
I also have a simular item, Not too sure what we have here but the local pawnshop tested it as 90% TIN 1% SILVER & 9% LEAD.
willing to sell!!!!

Sounds like you could solder with it. Maybe it was minted with silver bearing solder.