Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Went for the V3 then . . .

Oh crap I didn't mean my post to come off like that. No no no people.

I'm just stuck looking for someone who has been there like I am.

I'll see if I can pull my post.

V3 WORTH IT?
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1119467,1119500#msg-1119500

Jerry

I under stand where your coming from,i have been THING for about 23 years now and i have had my chair of top brand detectors but wow 1600.I dont know where my brain was.But when i pulled my first silver doller out at 9inches i sure fore got what i payed for the v3.WHITES YOU CANT GO WRONG....

I don't think I'd worry about what you posted. It's a fair chunk of money to layout for anything, but read the link from Crock of Coins above and I think you'll get a fair sense of why others made the decision.

I love it, it's light, it's extremely sensitive and gets great depth with ease. ARM9? Who cares which processor it's using, Whites put together a very nice performing machine, with great versatility.

Been detecting since '86, the technology has obviously changed big time since then. My first machine was the 6000 Di Pro. Those of you that have had that machine remember how well it worked. However, it weiged a ton! You could only use it for 2 hrs tops and you arm was shot, hip mounting it was no fun either. Yeah sure if you think your getting more value for your money with more knobs and buttons than more power to you! I love my V3, not only has it got everything and more I could want in a detector it is perfectly balanced too! I can hunt for hours with it. I swear, the longer I use this machine the more I love it. Im sick and tierd of the other forums bashing it.Once you get around 30 hrs into this machine its just plain fun to use.
Aaron

What you are experiencing is sticker shock, it is just the price you have to pay for high technology in a limited market. I use to hunt with the DFX and the Minelab XS, SE and SE Pro. The
Minelabs for the deep silver and the DFX for all else including jewelry. I just sold my SE Pro and I'm down to just the V3 which can do it all, at least for the kind of hunting that I do anyway.

Don't pay much attention to the posters who have had an extra bowl of sarcasm for breakfast, they probably didn't notice you are new here and it is only your third post. Anyway, welcome to the forum and the V3 is a great machine to learn and use. I think you would be very happy with a V3.

Dont feel bad, I have a hard time letting $1400 loose from my hand no matter what Im buying.:biggrin:

The only real legitimate slam that Minelab maked against the V3 is that White's has not had a major cosmetic overhaul in many years. As much as I like the White's detectors, I must admit the Minelabs are a lot sexier.

When it comes to detecting, however, I would pick function over form every time!

I am glad I am not you..LOL!
I had the same agonising time over the the decision E-Trac or V3..
I have had a Minelab explorer for 9yrs and I love it still, but I guess I got bored with it and the lure of "new technology" was pulling to try some thing different..
I tried the E-Trac and it is a very nice device, but the stories on the V3 aroused my interest so I made the 4hr drive to the importer/dealers shop.
Well the V3 was a real eye opener, coloured display, alalyze function, very adjustable etc.
So I handed over $2100Aus and raced off home with my new toy!
I find i never use the analyze function, the spectragraph is colourfull but in my opinion overated.
The V3 in my opinion is overpriced, and in does not put my old explorer in the shade when it comes to performance, sure it it better balanced but not lighter.
The spectra has unstoppable EMI problems in places where the explorer just hums along, advanced technolgy!!
The V3 is an okay detector I think but not a great one.
Well I expect I will cop some flack, so be it!!

Happy detecting.

Rob.

Oh and just to echo what others have said regarding price, I bought mine from ebay, it had not even been out of the box, works perfectly, and I saved
about $300 from retail price, oh and about $120 on taxes. So cost sensitivity is not a stranger to any of us, but I love the new toy, and even my wife thinks it's been a great purchase, because I've been so happy with it. (although I'm sure she's deciding how that next bit of furniture is going to get through the door)

But then again I've got kids close to going to college, and I'll need to find lots of diamond/gold rings to help fund them, As I don't have enough blood to sell at the blood banks. I'm just hoping that for all of us this economy starts doing something positive!! (and that goes for all the countries hit by this crappy recession)

Holy geez man....forget the powdered nose,rose covered cheeks and the rest of the make-up,grab the one that can REALLY cook! ...You will be fed quite often!

You make an interesting point, which comes into perspective when I realize I could get a macbook pro for $1200. It has a color screen and optional wireless headphones, too. :)

Only thing is, the macbook pro won't find me a gold ring. When it entertains me for hours I am will be sitting on my butt on my couch in my living room getting fat. In 12 months it will be surpassed by other technology. I probably shouldn't take it to the beach.

When I look at how much enjoyment I am going to get out of my V3 in the next 5 years, the price difference between 1200 and even 1700 isn't that much. In fact, if I had a dollar for every time I have already been glad that I wasn't tangled in a headphone wire or was grateful for the backlight when the sun started to set (or set hours ago!), or said,then I have probably already covered most of the $500 premium I paid for such luxuries.

Anyway, unless you are a skilled detectorist or planning on investing a ton of energy into becoming one, its probably all about your disposable income and how willing you are to part with it for niceties. On the other hand, if you are a super talented detectorist, you may be able to squeeze better performance out of the V3, I don't know. I'm not that skilled and would probably find the same stuff with a coinmaster (I like dimes and quarters, ok?) but the V3 luxury ride is still worth it for me.

The village idiot,

Taterhead

Some perspective for those that are interested:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,957840,962261#msg-962261

Hey guys dont post as much due to a 2 year old running around the house but thought I would add my 2 cents.

When it comes to the V3 I feel that it is the versatility that really makes it a winner.I feel that if you were to only use the V3 with its out of the box settings and not tweak it or create your own programs, then it is overpriced (not as overpriced as the fisher machines though, if you think the V3 feels cheap). Its when you start really learning the machine, tweaking it and creating your own programs that you really get your moneys worth.

Its the versatility of this machine that seals the deal for me. Here in California the Minelabs are the kings of the parks for silver and the T2/F75/MXT machines are the best for relic hunting. The minelabs with their low freq do great with the silver in "hunted out" parks, while with the F75/T2 and its lightning fast processing really shines when relic hunting in iron.

With the V3 you can create programs that emulate both of those detectors, which is what I have done. Create a program that only runs on the 2.5 khz and give it a longer recovery delay and you can setup your machine similar to a minelab. Create a program that only runs on the 22khz freq, speed up the recovery delay and create a custom tone scheme for only two tones and you have nice relic program where you dig everything but iron.

Or even better pick and choose things you like from different machines and as Mike Hillis posted recently create your own Dream Machine. It may not be deeper than a minelab or faster then an F75 but does give you way more options then either one of those machines do and with Whites top not support.

Neil in West Jersey said:
The only real legitimate slam that Minelab maked against the V3 is that White's has not had a major cosmetic overhaul in many years.

And ML has? :rofl: The entire ET/Explorer line all look alike with the exception of color of the PLASTIC. Maybe they moved a few bottons around but so has Whites. At least whites has made improvements like a color screen.

I'm not knocking ML. I just bought my first one but I think to say they're cutting edge with design....well, lets agree to disagree.

I own/have owned what I consider the top 3 detectors. ML ET, Whites V and Fisher F75. If you ever wanna feel better about the same ol black box from Whites - go pick up and swing one of these other machines. :smoke:

Of course.. I am poking fun at you. You seem to be able to take a joke. Believe me, small things come in small packages, look around at all the best technology today.

You'll do fine with either the ET or the V3.

J

The first time I picked up a V3 was at a vendor booth at a competition hunt. There were a few guys checking it out so I watched and listened for a little bit until I got my turn. I swung it a couple of times and handed it back to the vendor. Walking away I thought, "what a waist of money". I ended up buying an Etrac a short time later. It was very well built and very capable. The problem was that depending on the site and how much time I have to hunt it, sometimes I want to go fast and cover some ground and other times go slow and pick through the trash. The Etrac is not a fast paced machine.
After downloading the V3 manual and reading it a few times I realized that it had many functions that would suite my various hunting styles. It also has some function that i felt were un-needed. Long story short, if you consider of all the functions and features that the V3 has and think about how they could compliment your hunting style and your hunting experience you might give the V3 another look. Who knows how that vendor had the machine set up or what setting were changed by the guys before me but I'm sure glad I took another look at the V3 after doing some homework. One of the great things about this hobby is that there are a number of good machines out there at different price levels and the chances of eventually finding one that fits your needs are good.

Kurt