Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What am I going to be missing out on...?

Dan'O

For a while now i've been wanting to add a NOX to my detector arsenal. I have an XP Deus, which I really like, and some other specialty and loaner detectors and want to try out the NOX as a compliment to the Deus. I'm sure they do the same things, just a little differently and with thier strength and weaknesse. It's purpose will be some open field work, in town work sites where there will be or has been excavation work. I also work a few public sites that are from the 50's & early 60's that have deep targets and hope that this will help me find more of them.
I have not had the opportunity to use one yet so I could use some of your real world experience to help me in my quest for a 'NOX'.
Here's my delema: I was all set to purchase a new or used NOX 800 when came acrosss Minelab's Fall sale where I can get the NOX 600 with the 6" coil included, basically for free. I do want the 6" coil and would purchase it if I got and 800. This is obviously a money issue so lets break it down.
For $650 I can get the 600 with the 6" coil.
A new 800 for $900 + $180 for thte 6" coil which totals $1080! Thats $430 more than the 600! Yes I know, it comes with wireless headphones which is not a deal breaker for me and I probably wouldn't purchase them seperately.
From what I've read, the 600 only allows the single use of frequencies up to 15kz - I can live with that. I have the Deus HF eliptical coil and the Muli mode uses the same range of frequencies as the 800 and presumably is the same way.
It also only allows you to change t1's range, up or down the scale but not the other 4 - if in 5 tones or any others for that mater not to mention no volume level increase. I might like to have both of those options
No gold programs - No hurt feelings there either.
No profile option - Not an issue
Only three levels of what they call detect speed that end two notches befor the high end on the 800 - I might want the added flexabilityor maybe not I would not likely be using it in harsh iron invironments.
Back light on or off - Thats fine with me.
So, in this situation, what am I really getting for the extra $430? Is it worth it? I'm not sure but I am sure you all have your own opinions on the matter.
One last thought: Could I buy a used NOX 800 and save some money, some, a little maybe, but not $430! Perhaps half that or so.
I'm sure with the recent software update, i've missed some things, so please elighten me and help a fellow 'knee bender' out.
Thanks, Dan

I stated with getting the Nox 600 when they first came out. Sold it
Now I have the Nox 800 with the 11" & 6" coil, waterproof L.S headphone
& the Detect-Ed shaft.
I mostly use it in trash filled areas with the 6" coil.

I understand the money angle Dan, and IMHO, you’d be further ahead putting it off a bit till you have the money for the 800. COULD you get done with the 600 the things you want to accomplish? Perhaps. But there will ALWAYS be that little voice in your head saying....”hmmmmm “. Adjusting bins is HUGE, no matter who you talk to. I’m telling you, it’s HUGE. If you want to customize this machine to your hunting sites, the 800 is really the thing to get. Are there a lot of people doing just fine with the 600? Absolutely! But if you have to ask the question you’ve asked, I believe you know the answer and are just looking for support/confirmation of your thoughts. The 800 can be bought for 800 bucks, if not less. You just have to call some dealers until they tell you what you want to hear.

They are making it really hard not to buy the 600.
One reason they may be pushing the 600 is because of the nakto simplex. The Simplex is waterproof has wireless headphones and has adjustable iron volume for 340 dollars. It is also very close to the Equinox in performance as far as depth goes.
Close but not as good as a equinox in my opinion.
The main thing I like about the Equinox 800 is being able to customize the tones and the tone brakes. You also have more adjustability as far as recovery speed and iron bias.
It is a lot more money but I really like the adjustable tones and the adjustable tone breaks.
If someone was only going to do one type of hunting the 600 would probably be the best value but if you are going to be doing several different types of hunting in different conditions the 800 really helps in my opinion.
I have never used a 600 for disclosure but I did buy a Simplex and sold it.

I started out with a Nox 800 and 6” coil then sold it when I got my XP Orx
Was going to get a Simplex but last minute went for the Nox 600 with 6”
Coil package and I’m very happy now. I thought I needed the 800’s
Features but never used any of them.
So I would go for the 600 package if I were you.

That’s a good price on the 600 with the 6 inch coil.

Too many detectors and not enough time!

In the field with deep coins - you might also consider the 11 inch or higher.

In trash - the six inch for sure

The audio alone is a deal breaker for me with the wireless module. JMO. The 600 package sounds pretty sweet, sounds like you have already decided though.
HH Jeff

laplander said:
The audio alone is a deal breaker for me with the wireless module. JMO. The 600 package sounds pretty sweet, sounds like you have already decided though.
HH Jeff

Are you saying the audio with the wireless headphones is less than stellar?

IDXMonster said:
I understand the money angle Dan, and IMHO, you’d be further ahead putting it off a bit till you have the money for the 800. COULD you get done with the 600 the things you want to accomplish? Perhaps. But there will ALWAYS be that little voice in your head saying....”hmmmmm “. Adjusting bins is HUGE, no matter who you talk to. I’m telling you, it’s HUGE. If you want to customize this machine to your hunting sites, the 800 is really the thing to get. Are there a lot of people doing just fine with the 600? Absolutely! But if you have to ask the question you’ve asked, I believe you know the answer and are just looking for support/confirmation of your thoughts. The 800 can be bought for 800 bucks, if not less. You just have to call some dealers until they tell you what you want to hear.

"Adjusting bins is HUGE"

I was afraid someone whould say that!

I really need to watch some videos about this.

Best of luck to you whichever unit you decide on. I don't think you could go wrong either way. Whichever unit you think would work best for you in whatever type of hunting you do.

Where this really comes into play for myself is on really trashy sites, I can adjust the tone breaks and adjust the volume of bins I don't want to hear or the ones I do.
This is one reason I bought the equinox and then sold my ctx. Yes you could adjust tones on the ctx but you couldn't adjust the volume or cut it off.

I had both 800 offers a few more features, They both detect the same depth far as i could tell. I wasn't into all the tinkering with it.
If you're a tinkerer get the 800
Me I'd go for the 600 as you get the extra coil and save some money. But only you can make that decision.

One thing - minelab gives a discount for Veterans I believe it’s 15%

You can search the web because there are detectors out there that folks sell cheaper. That is how I bought mine and got a new one for less money.
That guy bought two and sold the second one to me.
Tony NJ

Dan'O said:
laplander said:
HH Jeff

Are you saying the audio with the wireless headphones is less than stellar?
I am getting older by the day and my hearing is not what it used to be. The volume is good on the factory but I need the full nuance of my after market phones. Oh yes you will need an adaptor. [read the post adaptor for wm8 w sunrays for the latest discussion]
HH Jeff

I think that the 600 does everything I need very well, very well. I personally don't see the need for the extra $250 for the 800. I don't hunt for small gold nugs or flakes, so the higher frequencies are of little use. In reference to the wireless module...I am as likely to go back to the bluetooth HPs. There is so little extra delay difference, I doubt you'd notice it. Plus, the HP wire, even though it's not connected to the detector, that wire is still a bother when bending and digging. I went well over a year with the 600, using the APTX LL Tron aftermarket headphones, and couldn't have been happier. It it such a small amount of quicker response using the module, I am just not sure I'd ever noticed it if I wasn't justifying spending the cash for the module. Just being upfront.

The tone break, etc. features on the 800 MIGHT have been useful. I had many audio features available for change with my Whites V3i, and I certainly tweaked it a lot in the early hunts. Then, that tweaking just slowed me down. It is definitely easy to get consumed in over tweaking, and lose hunt time.

I love my 600 for what I paid.

5900, I think that over tweaking has happened to me and I am thinking of going back to the original software soon.

Tony NJ

What am I going to be missing out on...?

Nothing much....unless you want to customize your tone bins and max out recovery speed (only speaking for myself).

I have hundreds of hours on my 600. Awesome finds/bucket listers,etc with it.

I'm pretty much running the same settings between the 2. Same performance, same depth, etc.

The difference for me is in the tones. I prefer raw 50 tones over customization. So for me the 600 is perfect.

I don't regret buying the 800 since it is my go-to machine, but honestly, I don't fiddle with settings between the 2 machines that make much difference.

As far as audio, I only use wired high quality headphones, even with my 800.

The gold modes...don't plan on using them although I am in gold country. I'm a coin/relic hunter.

I was taken back when they announced the free 6" coil. This is a deal maker in my opinion. How can you walk away from this?

But, all-in-all, the best way to decide is to get your hands on both and play with the tones.

Good luck in your decision. Can't go wrong with the 600.

I have a 600 with Minelab Koss headphones with the adapter. For my hunting...Fields,parks and yards I couldn't be happier. It does everything I want!

I bought the 800 and do not tweak it a lot except for a 3 tone set up for field 2 . I actually use the gold mode once in awhile for relic hunting it is hot. I used the wireless head phones for the first time today and they work really well, I usually use the wm08 module with earbuds very comfortable. I think the extras you get are well worth money. If you can afford it do not short change yourself.