Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do you do with a guy who digs deep holes and leaves his trash behind ???

If you SEE them do it and catch them red handed….confront them. If you’re going to do this hobby, do the freaking hobby and take your sh*tty mistake with you. I’ve run across freshly buried cans before. LEARN from the mistake and feel the pain of lugging that turd around til you throw it in the trash where some dumbsh*t should’ve put it in the first place. NOT taking whatever it is with you is bad juju…fact. Unless you CAN NOT dig the object up because it’s stuck, way too big, a pipe, etc….that’s the ONLY excuse for such nonsense.

Show this person the proper way to dig and refill the hole. You take everything you dig up …. Trash and treasure…..I even pick up trash that’s in the way of my sweep. Just takes a second. I always leave the place as good or better than it was before I got there.

We have a permit to be on University grounds here, which is a good thing as I have had people approach and once told permit needed walk away, or maybe come back later illegally.
Last year I was working a field where the Marching Band practices. I found a “crater” in the middle of the field and a quick sweep hit a loud and clear response. The top of the dig wasnt even placed back in the same way it wax cut. I flipped it over and found vertically flattened beer can about 5-6” deep. Then I started finding more of the same.
I quit and went to Facilities Management and made contact with the Grounds Supervisor who met me back at the scene of the crime. Jkline also met up with us. He was not very happy and told us he knew it was not us as his lawn crews had made no complaints about us. It was decided that the Security patrols would increase checks when seeing this type activity, especially at night. That type incident has ceased so that is good.
Keep in mind somethings we dig can be recycled and you might as well get paid for it. I put nearly ALL aluminum pieces in one bag along with cans from home. Iron goes in another box, magnetic and non magnetic in other boxes and finally copper and brass in another. I cant say how much extra cash that gets me a year but I know its not back in the ground where I could refind it again later.
Its just like big game hunting, if we dont cull the slobs we lose the forests to hunt in.

As a point of clarification; I meant cover the holes yourself.;)
I will cover holes that I find and move on.
I knew a guy in my hometown(he is gone now) he would carry his trash until he found a deep coin then he would dump his trash into it. I still find holes with multi tabs or junk from his days gone by. Every time I find one I think of him and his partner.

If you SEE them do it and catch them red handed….confront them. If you’re going to do this hobby, do the freaking hobby and take your sh*tty mistake with you. I’ve run across freshly buried cans before. LEARN from the mistake and feel the pain of lugging that turd around til you throw it in the trash where some dumbsh*t should’ve put it in the first place. NOT taking whatever it is with you is bad juju…fact. Unless you CAN NOT dig the object up because it’s stuck, way too big, a pipe, etc….that’s the ONLY excuse for such nonsense.
I love to run into him and give him a good piece of my mind. However, I think he is a night hawker and I dont detect at night. In fact, I was out on the beach at 4 a/m and very dark.
It was just too creepy. I usually hunt at dawn. I want to see who's around me. Its a safe beach. Never had any problems except for the drunks during the day.

One day I hope to run into him

HH
Donna(NJ)

Not much you can do unless you catch the person red handed then you could pretend to be taking a picture of the person and a picture of the damage, that probably would do the trick.
Otherwise, it's best to just repair the damage and forget about it.

We have a permit to be on University grounds here, which is a good thing as I have had people approach and once told permit needed walk away, or maybe come back later illegally.
Last year I was working a field where the Marching Band practices. I found a “crater” in the middle of the field and a quick sweep hit a loud and clear response. The top of the dig wasnt even placed back in the same way it wax cut. I flipped it over and found vertically flattened beer can about 5-6” deep. Then I started finding more of the same.
I quit and went to Facilities Management and made contact with the Grounds Supervisor who met me back at the scene of the crime. Jkline also met up with us. He was not very happy and told us he knew it was not us as his lawn crews had made no complaints about us. It was decided that the Security patrols would increase checks when seeing this type activity, especially at night. That type incident has ceased so that is good.
Keep in mind somethings we dig can be recycled and you might as well get paid for it. I put nearly ALL aluminum pieces in one bag along with cans from home. Iron goes in another box, magnetic and non magnetic in other boxes and finally copper and brass in another. I cant say how much extra cash that gets me a year but I know its not back in the ground where I could refind it again later.
Its just like big game hunting, if we dont cull the slobs we lose the forests to hunt in.
I am the consummate recycler. I beach hunt and carry a SHOPPING BAG to put in all the plastic bottles and cans I find along my route. It just burns me up this guy cant pick up a bottle cap.
Unfortunately I have a good friend who also hunts the beach and he doesnt wear an apron. I asked him one day what he does with all the pull tabs. He dumped 1 in the garbage pail !!
Most guys I know that hunt the beach just leave all their trash behind. They just cant be bothered....

HH
Donna(NJ)

I normally scan the hole and the mound of dirt. Pick up the tabs or whatever and fill it back up. Once I scanned a mound of dirt and recovered a shiny silver quarter lol. Pocket the prize and moved on. hhrickinmi