Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What does the competition do when a new high end detector is released

I was just wondering with the other detector brands Whites & Fisher, etc., would they buy a CTX when it is released and take it apart to see what makes it tick and try to work those improvements into their own machine or is that patent infringement?

Well, they sure didn't do much with BBS or FBS technology over the years in terms of using ideas from it, unless you count the somewhat limited usefulness of 2 or 3 frequencies on their flagship models compared to BBS/FBS/FBS2. Around a year or two ago I remember reading a blurb from somebody about Fisher acquiring the rights to BBS to build their own version of that. I think that would be very interesting to see if it was true. A light weight machine, and I bet with some further enhancements to BBS technology...Which is still light years ahead of the competition.

I'm sure they study competitive machines to see how well they do a certain thing, but have to find another completely different way to arrive at the same results to avoid patent infringements.

I remember reading years ago that Whites originaly came up with BBS technology but couldn't make it work, so they ended up selling the patents off to Minelab. I have no way to know if that's true or not, but I've read that more than once from people.

It will be like when the Etrac was released, Whites came up with a detector that has three frequencies with color screen and some other nifty features. They will all try and one up the other guy...hopefully for us that means better and better detectors :)

Joe

I agree with JBE Iowa that we'll see the leading manufactures produce their own versions of the technology that proves worth pursuing. For the record White's did one up Minelabs FBS with the V3 series. Per another post, you can see that BBS & FBS are actually using 2 frequencies so White's did in fact use the same idea(DFX) and upped it with the V3's to 3 frequencies.

Not exactly the case from what I've read...The BBS/FBS frequencies do in fact do more (again, from what I've read...but I have read opposing views on this) than just put out two frequencies. In fact, the very reason why they don't have a conventional ground balance is due to the digital "filtering" that BBS/FBS allows to be possible. Don't confuse this digital "filter" with how conventional ground balance on other detectors work...Where in fact when you ground balance they in effect set up a filter to "ignore" the ground signal. Thus, a target at depth or in mineralization has to break through that filter in order for the detector to see it. That's why ID suffers at depth on other detectors, while BBS/FBS machines are known for accurate ID even at extreme depths and/or in bad mineralization. I've always understood that the multifrequency of BBS/FBS is what made it's unique way to ignore the ground possible. If in fact they are running on only 2 frequencies and that eliminates the need for a conventional ground balance, then why do the Whites or some Fishers using 2 or 3 frequencies still require a ground balance? Something more has to be going on here in terms of the multifrequency aspects of BBS/FBS, but as said I have read differing opinions on the true nature of BBS/FBS and just how many frequencies it uses, so please somebody fill me/us in with any in depth gory details you can muster up.

What I've read in places is that the Minelabs may in fact key in on a few frequencies to process the signal, but it's the interaction of the compilation of frequencies spectrums that interact with the target that gives the sum accumulation of target response...and then effects the final outcome of what part of the spectrum the machine is paying attention to.

[size=large]Buy one and take it back to engineering and take it apart to see if there is any new ideas as to how to accomplish an end result. Innovation in getting from point A to point B can be significant. R[/size]

I think all major mfg's look at particular machines from their competitors. One to see what the technology is...the other to ensure there isn't infringement on their existing patents (which has happened in the past). It is not illegal to examine. Look at the AT Pro.....then the Teknetics Omega. The Pro is almost a carbon copy of the Omega in regards to functions. The Omega preceded the AT Pro.