Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What Good Is A PIRATE Without Pirate SOFTWARE???

And I don't mean PIRATED software...I mean software for PIRATES! :lol:

Let me explain.

I was talking to my friend (and boss) Dave at work and telling him about gold finds, Midwest Refinery, melt value...stuff like that. I was saying how I figured up what I have so far this season to be worth a little over $1000, and how I arrived at that. He says "You could do a spreadsheet on that and make it figure it up for you." Well, I know there are some web calculators that will do that. But they do it for ONE thing, or one set amount/weight/karat value, etc. But what if you could tally it ALL up?

Well, Dave is better with Microsoft Excel than I am. And he was intrigued by the challenge of making this spreadsheet, so he started playing with it. And with a little help from me, telling him what we might want, it turned into a pretty cool spreadsheet. So I'm going to post a link to it and if you have Microsoft Excel, you should be able to click the link and open it up. You can then SAVE it to you hard drive (your Desktop would be a good place) and fill it out for your finds. I plugged a few things in there to show you how it works. Here are some simple tips, followed by the link. Be sure and pay attention to the different fields...it's VERY easy to use but you CAN screw it up. I would recommend saving a copy and then saving a SECOND copy, in case you play with it and it gets dorked up.

Open the spreadshhet and:

1) Input the spot prices of the day for gold, silver and platinum where shown. You can get those here: http://www.monex.com/ (check the scolling banner when it comes up)

2) To the right of that is the "Refiner's fee", which with Midwest as an example would be 6%. Just put in a 6 there. That will automatically figure their "cut" and deduct it. If you don't want to know that, put in a "0" and you'll see full value.

3) The "Description" field is for your use as you see fit. Manually enter whatever you like, as I did in the example.

4) For the "Metal Type" field, move to that field and use the dropdown menu. Choose gold, silver, or platinum.

5) In the "Weight" field, put in the weight in ounces or in grams...just the number. You can do 12.7, for example.

6) In the "Unit" field, move to that field and use the dropdown. Pick troy oz or gram.

7) Now click into the "Purity/Karats" field and use the dropdown to select either sterling, plat 950, plat 900, plat 850, or the appropriate value in gold karats.

You will see the final figures for whatever you put in. Now just add in all of your other finds on subsequent lines and it will give a running tally as you go. If there is any error shown than you haven't entered SOMETHING correctly or in the right place...try again. This thing works very well. If you have a suggestion for something to be changed, make it...we can probably do it. Please provide feedback...if you like it, say so. If you don't, save it. :) Yeah, there are web links that can do this to an extent, but not for ALL your stuff...just for one thing at a time. If you don't have Microsoft Excel, sorry...you can't play.

So here it is: http://members.cox.net/detect/BootySpreadsheet.xls

n/t

Mike,
Maybe you could add the ability to specify the Refinery fee for other metals. Midwest is currently paying 88% for .925. And the ability for the form to autoexpand past the existing number of lines in the green portion of the form.
Regards,
Keith

This is just what I needed!!!! But, how do you extend the green area past line 26?? Please help, if anyone knows. Thanks Mike!!:clapping:

Sounds like I would like it Mike! I tried to open the link and it says something funny, like I can't go there, I got Vista, does that mean anything? Sometimes I ain't all that smart though, I'm sure it's something Huntress can figure out, LOL!

Hmm...well, first you need to have Microsoft Excel (which is part of Microsoft Office) on your computer. Without that it won't work. Secondly, with Vista, it may be warning you that the link MAY be potentially dangerous. Could you be a little more specific than "it says something funny"? :)

Or get Betsy to look at it. I think if you save the spreadsheet and take it to work you'd probably be able to open it there.

Nice job brother that is great. I have alrady messed around wirh it a little and am compiling all my finds data. Thanks a million!

Well thanks for pointing that out...I'm well aware of that site, and it's a good site.

But as I said in my post "I know there are some web calculators that will do that. But they do it for ONE thing, or one set amount/weight/karat value, etc"

So if you want to use the Dendretics site, you will have to calcualte for each and every ring, chain, etc. and then add them all up. Or you could do it on the spreadsheet and have it do it for ALL your stuff. The spreadsheet seems a much better choice to me. :shrug:

Nice spreadsheet - it works great.

There will be more lines (probably a second page), the ability to change the fee for the type of metal...i.e., Midwest charges 12% for silver, 6% for gold, and the totals will probably be moved to the top of the sheet, to allow for unlimited expansion at the bottom of the sheet. We don't want to make it TOO cumbersome, but we do want to make it useable. Stay tuned...

n/t