Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is Muti-IQ

sube

First post on the new forum Muti-IQ it's totally new not BBS or FBS
(the time or date (twice each year) at which the sun crosses the celestial equator, when day and night are of equal length (about September 22 and March 20).
another term for equinoctial point Well that's what EQUINOX means.

Did they finally make a pulse muti freq vlf some people say it's deeper than the 3030 might be if it runs pulse for ground and muti freq vlf for disc at the same time if you look at what equinox means . So no numbers for fe why would you need them pulse ignores iron ground minerals maybe they actually got rid of the iron and don't need that as part of the ID anymore . Now as to speed if you get rid of the iron then the processor only has to deal with the id of the target making it much faster .The big one dose it false on iron .

Remember this is new not BBS OR FBS only time will tell. sube

Hey Sube,
I don't believe that it's pulse at all. THAT would set the gold prospecting community on its ear! Us nugget shooters would love that and, as such, I believe Minelab would have introduced it differently. I'm not sure that, at this point, anybody really knows what it is yet ( I dont) but I don't think that it is pulse. Just my guess.

Dean

Not pulse. Simultaneous multi - and selectable single frequency VLF IB detector.

A combination no one has offered before. How will it work out - we’ll know in about 6 months after the first enthusiasts get ther hands on it and furnish their myriad and conflicting use reports.

"Not pulse. Simultaneous multi - and selectable single frequency VLF IB detector.

A combination no one has offered before."

I don't believe that is accurate. The White's DFX which came out eons ago was a two frequency machine (3 and 15 Khz I believe) and you can set it to operate on either of the frequencies as a single frequency machine or use both as a multi-frequency unit. It also has an interesting mixed mode where you could have one frequency running in all metal mode and the other in discrimination mode and you would hear one frequency in one ear and the other frequency in the other ear.

White's current V series detectors, the V3i and the VX3 operate on 3 frequencies (3, 15, and 22.5 I believe) and they too can be set to just use a single frequency or all three. The other thing about the display of the V series is that you see the output of each frequency separately on the meter, so low conductors for instance hit harder on the 22.5 than the 3 khz or vice versa for silver. These White's machine are all narrow band rather than broad band system so each frequency is received and processed separately from the other frequencies. The V series machines have color displays and each frequency is displayed on the same graphs but in different colors, red, blue and green.

I'm very interested in the Equinox's though. They look life very nice machines..

I always thought highly of my Explorer and my Explorer SE Pro though both were pretty heavy for me. The Equinox's look nice and light.

I would be interested to find out if the Multi-Q system receives and processes each frequency separately from the others or if they are all combined and processed together.

Near as I can tell from diagrams I saw, It's kind of like a graph of return signals only in 3D. As far as I know every detector has done 2D but no one has done 3D. Google it and see what you think.

lytle78 said:
Not pulse. Simultaneous multi - and selectable single frequency VLF IB detector.

[size=x-large]A combination no one has offered before.[/size] How will it work out - we’ll know in about 6 months after the first enthusiasts get ther hands on it and furnish their myriad and conflicting use reports.

**************************************************************​
[size=x-large]lytle.....[/size]
[size=x-large]What have whites been selling for the last few years ???V??3??i?[/size]

Metalpopper - guess you missed my post just above yours...

Yeah, I forgot that one - interesting thing about that brain f**t on my part is that I was an early adopter of the V3 - I had a “Vision” before the name change - paid full retail.

It’s hell to get forgetful!

In regard to my first post let's forget pulse .

Simultaneous multi
It's not multi -frequency it's simultaneous multi would that mean it's running 2 different sets of multi- frequency (one rejecting the ferrous part of the signal) and (one figuring out what the conductive value of a target is at the same time) which is why the ferrous part of the target is not displayed giving better ID without combining the ferrous signal with the conductive part . Hmmm ? sube

sube --

No idea, since Minelab isn't telling us, how "Multi-IQ" works. I do think there is something going on to deal with ground (more than just ground balance), and something to indicate/identify iron, but no idea what. But I am not sure they are running "pairs" of multiple frequencies. Simultaneous multi-frequency just means, unless I am mistaken, that it runs more than one frequency at a time. It is trying to differentiate between a machine that CAN RUN a number of different frequencies, but can only run one of them at a time. The "simultaneous" word means that the machine is capable of running not ONLY multiple single frequencies (5, 10, 15, 20, etc.), but it can ALSO run at least two (if not more) of those frequencies at the same time (if in "Multi" mode). I don't think they are trying to say that they are running multiple SETS of multiple frequencies simultaneously. BUT, I haven't seen anything to rule that out as a possibility either.

Anyway, none of us know how Multi-IQ works, but I tend to think you are hitting somewhere at least in the vicinity of the target...

Steve

sube said:
(the time or date (twice each year) at which the sun crosses the celestial equator, when day and night are of equal length (about September 22 and March 20).

Did they finally make a pulse muti freq vlf some people say it's deeper than the 3030 might be if it runs pulse for ground and muti freq vlf for disc at the same time if you look at what equinox means . [size=x-large]So no numbers for fe why would you need them pulse ignores iron ground minerals maybe they actually got rid of the iron and don't need that as part of the ID anymore[/size] . Now as to speed if you get rid of the iron then the processor only has to deal with the id of the target making it much faster . [size=x-large]Nonsense[/size].
The big one dose it false on iron .

?????????????????????????????????????????​

Hi Sube !

Note the highlighted / underlined part of your post (quote}.

(1) My reply to that statement is:- 'Pulse' doesn't ignore the effect of FERROUS.
(2) Note the fact also, that the search-coil illustrated on the Equinox, appears to be a normal Induction Balanced DD design,
.......which also DOESN'T IGNORE THE EFFECT OF IRON/FERROUS.

What's the crap about "You don't need the FE part of a target's ID?

"What the hell is the significance of the PLUS and MINUS then"?

With respect Sube; you need to spend more time on learning about the basics, rather than posting questionable 'facts' of the physics involved in metal detecting.....matt

metalpopper said:
sube said:

Did they finally make a pulse muti freq vlf some people say it's deeper than the 3030 might be if it runs pulse for ground and muti freq vlf for disc at the same time if you look at what equinox means . [size=x-large]So no numbers for fe why would you need them pulse ignores iron ground minerals maybe they actually got rid of the iron and don't need that as part of the ID anymore[/size] . Now as to speed if you get rid of the iron then the processor only has to deal with the id of the target making it much faster . [size=x-large]Nonsense[/size].
The big one dose it false on iron .

?????????????????????????????????????????​

Hi Sube !

(1) My reply to that statement is:- 'Pulse' doesn't ignore the effect of FERROUS.
(2) Note the fact also, that the search-coil illustrated on the Equinox, appears to be a normal Induction Balanced DD design,

With respect Sube; you need to spend more time on learning about the basics, rather than posting questionable 'facts' of the physics involved in metal detecting.....matt

Again people are thinking this machine is going to be a top end machine when in actual fact it is a replacement for the X.Terra series.
It is obviously that, same but straight coil , similar tones and numbers , same arm cup , NEW coil , new control box and they have listened to me i think by putting multi freq onto the machine.

Its not a CTX or ET . But the Equinox may be very close or better in some ways than the CTX or ET .
I used the Terra 705 for over 6 years on beaches and in ways it out performed the ET i have and in others it doesn't.

The Equinox might be good or great but it hasn't and wont have all the bells and whistles the other top end machines have or it would be twice the price.

It does show though that people are not happy with their present machines or they would be content and not trying to make this new machine something it ain't.

My thoughts are, if it was really " new technology" it would cost a whole hell of a lot more than this. Same old technology,new expression, new package!

ML has always said their machines IGNORES the ground and for the most part CON digits have always been more accurate than FE. Maybe they have found a way to reduce wrap around from iron/minerals improving the CON digits even more. They may have just found a better way to filter/process signals. No matter what it is or does....... the end result ...... sensitivity, separation, and depth will dictate how well this machine sells. Is it just a $900 machine........or will we get more than our moneys worth on this one?

Dew

metalpopper said:
[
Hi Sube !

Matt, if a pulse machine is, as I understand it, based on the premise that induced electromagnetic fields in both soil, and in metal targets of varying compositions, will decay at a certain, roughly "known" rate after being exposed to a transmitted electromagnetic pulse, and if then you set your "timing" so as to be longer than the electromagnetic field decay rate associated with soil minerals, then could it not be roughly, loosely said that you are "ignoring" soil mineralization, which is what I think sube is alluding to?

I might also add, Matt, that it sounds to me like -- while criticizing sube's understanding of the "basics," -- you really didn't understand what he was saying. If I understand the "plus" and "minus" numbers correctly, the "minus" numbers indicate ferrous targets, and the plus values "non-ferrous" targets. That has nothing to do with what sube was referring to when talking about maybe "not needing" the FE number. He wasn't saying you won't need to know whether a target is ferrous or not, which is what you implied he was saying. That is not the purpose of the FE number. The FE number, based on my understanding of how detectors work in general, and on my experience in using FBS units and gaining a sense for what the FE/CO numbers do, is that ground contamination of a target's "conductivity" is "dealt with" separately -- most likely on a separate frequency or frequencies in some way -- by FBS and its signal-processing algorithms. This "stripped out" conductivity is then "included in" or "moved over to" the FE side of the target ID value, allowing what remains to be a more "pure" target conductivity, and is displayed in the CO number. All sube was saying, as I understand it, is that maybe Multi-IQ offers even better "removal" of target conductivity "bias" caused by soil "conductivity," such that displaying the FE number isn't really necessary as much -- just a relatively pure "target CO" number will suffice...

Steve

dewcon4414 said:
ML has always said their machines IGNORES the ground and for the most part CON digits have always been more accurate than FE. Maybe they have found a way to reduce wrap around from iron/minerals improving the CON digits even more. They may have just found a better way to filter/process signals. No matter what it is or does....... the end result ...... sensitivity, separation, and depth will dictate how well this machine sells. Is it just a $900 machine........or will we get more than our moneys worth on this one?

Dew

Excellent post, Dew. Totally agree.

One last thing, regarding the "ML has always said their machines ignore the ground," and which I alluded to in my prior post. I have heard it said that FBS is sort of a VLF/Pulse hybrid. I don't know how that works exactly, but it appears to me that somehow the soil mineral effects (conductivity) which -- as I understand it, are sort of "mixed in," to some degree, with returned target "conductivity" signal on a single frequency VLF unit -- are somehow "dealt with separately" by FBS, presumably "comparing" signals from different frequencies in some sort of "time domain," and then "removing" to some degree the soil "conductivity" contamination that would otherwise be included within the "target conductivity." Then, this "contamination" is apparently "moved into and included within" the FE number, leaving a more "pure" or "uncontaminated" CO number.

IF my basic, loose understanding above is correct, I would expect that what you said is true -- that Minelab, in Multi-IQ, has found a way to improve further upon this ability to "deal with" and "separate out" soil conductivity from target conductivity...and from that perspective, it is at least within the realm of plausibility that what sube is alluding to could be correct, that it could be conceivable that this would reduce the need to display an "FE" number at all. Just a good, relatively "clean" CO number (either indicating ferrous targets, or non-ferrous targets).

sgoss66 said:
I have heard it said that FBS is sort of a VLF/Pulse hybrid. I don't know how that works exactly,

Because they completely changed HOW the signal was transmitted and read. A "standard VLF" (which lots of people falsely claim FBS is) puts out a round sine wave RF signal. Think of that like an ocean wave constantly going up and down. The target is charged with RF, which it re-emits. The return signal is read solely based on the signal shift from the baseline of the transmitted signal. This is also how standard VLF ground balance works. You are really only adjusting the base signal that the detector is comparing to.

FBS sends out square wave pulses (like ON and OFF) it does with multiple frequencies for differing time durations. Then it reads the RF return from the TIME DOMAIN, which is how pulse induction detectors read the signal.

This is why FBS detectors are unique and truly like a kind of hybrid PI and VLF.

Square waves can be analyzed as a sum of multiple frequencies and it appears that is what Minelab does. Nothing new there. I do however think they are the best detectors on the market and therefore look forward to the Eqinox. I do not however think it can or will replace the CTX or ET. We will just have to wait and see.